This is 1986 again!

Lenigmusx

1986 was a bad year for the Bills, 4-12 bad. Some of the pieces were in place but no one new how to win. The first half of the year was in the toilet under Hank Bullough. The offense could score points with Kelly but it was always countered by defensive failures and turnovers. The game that I remember most was Marv Levy's 1st or 2nd game as coach. It was the first Bills game I attended 11/16/86 Buffalo vs Miami Dolphins in Rich stadium. It started out as a banner day Kelly threw two first half touchdowns and the Bills were up 21-0. Then Jerry Butler broke his leg (career ending). This was the turning point, in the 3rd quarter Miami came out and smoked Buffalo. The point is the bad third quarter was our demise much like this year and yesterday. The Final of that Game was 34-24 Miami. 1986 was a "Building Year" and I see the signs of life that I saw back then. Everyone can hate on Fitz as much as they want but I think he is the real deal. It has been a long, long, long time since the number two rated passer in the NFL was the Bills QB. Be patient everyone.

Does this mean Chan is going to get fired midseason and then Marv is going to be brought back... again?

No its means that Gailey is going to be demoted to Offensive coordinator and that bill Cower is going to be the head coach. Cower just wanted to take a year off to spend it with his family.

Edited by b stein 22

It's tempting after this game to play "the glass is half-full. Perhaps it is. The Bills still have very serious shortcomings on defense. They literally constitute the "half-empty" portion of the glass. I give Gailey some props for starting to show his offensive prowess. Think what might have been if the Bills had kept Fewell as HC and named Gailey as OC. Fewell had essentially the same players on D showing light years better than the current situation. I am not saying they were without issue but they were better.

No its means that Gailey is going to be demoted to Offensive coordinator and that bill Cower is going to be the head coach. Cower just wanted to take a year off to spend it with his family.

That's what happened in 1986... Marv Levy was the midseason replacement after Hank Bullough was fired. That's all I meant.

Not that Cowher will ever come to Buffalo for anything other than one of his daughter's collegiate basketball games. :flirt:

Well, it is 1986 all over again if...

Ryan Fitzpatrick turns into Jim Kelly

Chris Kelsay becomes Bruce Smith

Paul Posluszny becomes Darryl Talley

Steve Johnson becomes Andre Reed and most importantly...

Buddy Nix becomes Bill Polian

Yep, just like 1986.

So that means we have 6 years instead of 4. i can deal with that.

No, we don't have six years. Ralph Wilson just turned 92 and it is unlikely that he will last six years. Unless someone (who wants to keep the team in Buffalo) can get him to sell them the team soon, it will go to the highest bidder after Wilson passes on. Sadly, if that happens, it is highly unlikely that the high bidder will be a group trying to keep the team where it is.

Well, it is 1986 all over again if...

Ryan Fitzpatrick turns into Jim Kelly

Chris Kelsay becomes Bruce Smith

Paul Posluszny becomes Darryl Talley

Steve Johnson becomes Andre Reed and most importantly...

Buddy Nix becomes Bill Polian

Yep, just like 1986.

You do realize Bruce was the #1 overall pick right? And Reed was picked in that draft right? And Steve Johnson is on pace for nearly 1,000 yards and 13 tds?

I just can't believe if the Bills made me this miserable as they do you, why I'd spend my time here.

You do realize Bruce was the #1 overall pick right? And Reed was picked in that draft right? And Steve Johnson is on pace for nearly 1,000 yards and 13 tds?

I just can't believe if the Bills made me this miserable as they do you, why I'd spend my time here.

C.Biscuit, my good fellow, you just read YE OLE's mind. YE was just sitting here thinking: why in the hell would a person sit here and despite some signs of life from this team on offense just completely squelch it with "nope, any progress you saw on Sunday as a fluke, this team is going 0-16, has no talent, and will be in L.A. in a few years"

YE OLE just doesn't understand the appeal of doing this. If you believe this, why do you have any interest whatsoever, in hanging around here to talk Bills football?

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but we are 0-6 and will be VERY lucky to end up 2-14. Our roster is completely devoid of talent. This is 1984, not 1986!

Mr. Flowers I thought we discarded you years ago. What are you doing back here? As far as talent there is plenty on this roster Offensively. Much like there was in 1986 I remember it well I lived every game of that Era. Defense was the problem then as it is now. Fortunately by 1988 that was fixed and the Defense became dominant.

CB97 you're a self righteous type who sees nothing wrong with settling for less as long as someone promises you hope. What after the past 4-5 seasons do you cite as demonstrative of impending success? And don't tell me you expected a rebuilding season, because that wasn't your perspective in the off-season while you groveled at the feet of Nix, Gailey, and Wilson.

Winning is the only thing and even Chan espoused that mindset after the game. Your response here to take the moral high ground and cast me as miserable and thus undeserving of being a fan is your ONLY retort when things are so bad. You've got nothing else to offer in response to my criticism.

And for the record, Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russell, Aundray Bruce, Jeff George, Courtney Brown, and David Carr were #1 overall picks. What's your point?

CB97 you're a self righteous type who sees nothing wrong with settling for less as long as someone promises you hope. What after the past 4-5 seasons do you cite as demonstrative of impending success? And don't tell me you expected a rebuilding season, because that wasn't your perspective in the off-season while you groveled at the feet of Nix, Gailey, and Wilson.

Winning is the only thing and even Chan espoused that mindset after the game. Your response here to take the moral high ground and cast me as miserable and thus undeserving of being a fan is your ONLY retort when things are so bad. You've got nothing else to offer in response to my criticism.

And for the record, Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russell, Aundray Bruce, Jeff George, Courtney Brown, and David Carr were #1 overall picks. What's your point?

Every single one of these sentences sound as if they were culled from completely different yet equally angry paragraphs. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here, but it does sound like the Bills are making you fairly miserable. I hear Sudoku is pretty relaxing.

:beer:

Come on, we're all Bills fans here and we all want the same thing! Let's chill out already!