Reality check about yesterdays game...

Alphadawg7

I know everyone wants to blame the refs, but the 2 calls everyone is in uproar about that we got screwed on were not mistakes by the refs at all. I went back and watched the plays again, and the refs actually got them right.

REFS ARE NOT WHY WE LOST:

I have already stated in other threads that the refs got the call right on the INT in relation to the rules regarding instant replay and the need for indisputable evidence to over turn a call on the field. Since the call was out of bounds on the field and cant see if the whole elbow is in bounds or not as there is only a front shot and its right on the line, then the refs were right to not over turn it.

Initially I was still upset about forward progress not being called on the Nelson fumble. However, after watching the play again I realized I was wrong and the refs made the right call of letting the play continue. This was entirely because I kept rewatching the play from the head on perspective. The truth is, when you watch from the side line view his forward progress actually wasnt stopped as he was continually moving forward including get a big push from the back by fellow teammates fighting for more yards. By definition his forward progress was not stopped and refs were correct not blowing the whistle.

REAL REASON WE LOST:

1. Turnovers: Spillers fumble and the 2 Bad INTS by Fitz killed us to start the 2nd half that gave Baltimore control of the game. Then with a chance to win the game Nelson fumbles. This is the #1 reason why we lost because we gave them free points on all 3 turnovers. You wont win close games against better teams if you turn the ball over to them with great field position 4 times.

2. Defense: The defense had a solid start to this game, but once the turnovers started happening this D just broke down. Its not a very good D and the best way to hide it is to keep it off the field. With the D being a liability, we cant be turning the ball over 4 timesEdwards I would say is sitting in a very hot seat at this point, but I dont expect him to be fired during the season.

Sure the officials missed 2 PI plays, but thats football and I am sure we got away with plays too like holding and PI as every team does just about every single game. The 2 plays in question just happened to be in the view of the camera for us all to see and complain about. Truth is, we got some breaks by the refs in terms of spots and stuff in this game just like Balt got some breaks.

Bottom line is that WE BEAT OURSELVES...the refs did not beat us, the Ravens didnt beat us, WE beat ourselves. Still, it was quite an encouraging outing, espeically seeing the passing game continue to build life. Lots of positives to take from this game as well as stuff we need to work on. We won't win a game if we keep turning the ball over 4 times to better teams given the weakness of our defense.

But bad refs calls are still bad calls. More pissed about the INT. No Off PI call, plus replay showed Corner's elbow landed in bounds.

PTR

+1

No mention ever by the announcing team about the poss of his elbow being in! How many cameras are in an nfl stadium there had to be a view more definitive than what we got when they kept showing him stepping on the wr shin

This is all obvious, but a good breakdown.

Bad teams find ways to lose, which we thankfully did.

Was fun to watch though - I hope we lose them all this same way!

If the Bills keep playing like they did on Sunday they will not be picking in the top five this season. Congrats to them them were fun to watch just got a couple of bad breaks. They outplayed an elite team.

But bad refs calls are still bad calls. More pissed about the INT. No Off PI call, plus replay showed Corner's elbow landed in bounds.

PTR

I agree that bad ref calls affect a game of course, but they didnt get any of these wrong except for the non calls on the PI because they were not in the best position to see the occurence. And if we want to be non homers, Corner committed PI on that INT first by putting both his arms on Boldin to give himself front position to make the INT. It should have been called for it before Boldin should have been called for PI and all of this would have been a non issue. So if they TRULY get that play right according to the rules of PI, they call PI on Corner and the Ravens get the ball on the 1 and punch it in. But Bills fans want to skip over that part and go straight to the part where they feel we got screwed.

I was upset by the calls too but in retrospect they were correct (except for the non call on Boldin). Anyway, it's just our luck that Ed Reed returned for this game isn't it? We would've won the game if his replacement was starting again. Just like Garrard is out for a few week with Jax now (of course he was 100% healthy in RWS and shredding them!). Bills should see some breaks fall their way at some point, i hope. yeah- I'm siging up for the #1 pick but i don't want my team to go winless to get it.

I was upset by the calls too but in retrospect they were correct (except for the non call on Boldin). Anyway, it's just our luck that Ed Reed returned for this game isn't it? We would've won the game if his replacement was starting again. Just like Garrard is out for a few week with Jax now (of course he was 100% healthy in RWS and shredding them!). Bills should see some breaks fall their way at some point, i hope. yeah- I'm siging up for the #1 pick but i don't want my team to go winless to get it.

Yeah I would love the #1 pick, but not by going 0-16 as I will never hear the end of it. I still get reminded regularly of our 4 SB losses...

anytime a team takes a tough loss, blaming the ref is easy to do......

but here is how I see it.....

1) Corner INT was a good call....look at it this way if it was the Ravens WR catching the ball is it a TD? NO it's not....tough call but right call. Either way, heck of a play by Corner.

2) Nelson fumble....I will never complain about hustle and determination, it's just unfortunate those 2 things costed us the game. Was forward progress stopped? Yes....until our OL said you can't stop us and started pushing the pile for more yards, which is why the fumble stood as called.

tough loss but sure as hell am proud of the team!

1) Corner INT was a good call....look at it this way if it was the Ravens WR catching the ball is it a TD? NO it's not....tough call but right call. Either way, heck of a play by Corner.

2) Nelson fumble....I will never complain about hustle and determination, it's just unfortunate those 2 things costed us the game. Was forward progress stopped? Yes....until our OL said you can't stop us and started pushing the pile for more yards, which is why the fumble stood as called.

I wouldn't have a problem with the forward progress if the player in question is actually on the ground churning his legs aided by his teammates trying to gain more yards, there and then he's fair game to be stripped off the ball by the opposition, but once he's in the air he has zero possibility of going forward on his own, so right there and there the refs should have ruled the play dead regardless of if he was being pushed forwards by his teammamtes, which I think it's illegal btw.

I agree with Alpha though, not turnovers, no momemtum shifting, no free points to the opposition.

Agreed...

I agree that it was a culmination of the turnovers rather than the one in OT that cost us the game. Of course most posters would like to use Nelson as a scapegoat. The bills always do this to me and for once i thought to myself that i won't get tricked into believing they would come back and win, well i fell for it again. take 2 turnovers away around halftime and we would have easily won this game in regulation.

Is there anyone here who thinks the Bills would have gotten credit for a fumble recovery and possession of the ball if Poz stripped it from Todd Heap in OT on that exact same play?

No way in hell.

That alone is why it was a bad call. ;)

I'm pretty sure the whole world isn't out to get you, sir.

Is there anyone here who thinks the Bills would have gotten credit for a fumble recovery and possession of the ball if Poz stripped it from Todd Heap in OT on that exact same play?

No way in hell.

I'd like to think we'd get that call BUT, i cannot discount the fact that when NFL referees enter a game, it's impossible not to think,,"one team is a SB contender, well coached, plays hard and has Pro Bowlers all over the field....the other club is winless, undisciplned and kind of a rag tag outfit that is inferior"

I mean that has to play into their minds subconsciously when they're looking at borderline plays...like interference, holding and this strip play.

I'm pretty sure the whole world isn't out to get you, sir.

I don't think they are at all. In fact, for the vast, vast majority of 52 years, I have had remarkably and consistently great luck. I've also watched a ton of football and Bills football in that time. I hardly ever blame the refs for losses. I'm not blaming them for this loss. I don't, however, think other teams overhear Refs saying "Just give it to him", I don't think other teams lose games when opposing players are unconscious and their knocked out head is OB but the ball, in bounds, hits a leg and they blow it dead. I do not think other teams get "roughing the referee penalties". Sure, other teams lose games on atrocious calls. Happens all the time. I think the Dolphins got way more screwed than we did yesterday.

I don't, at all however, think the Ravens lose the OT game if it happened the other way. The Bills are always always always on the wrong side of those kinds of calls.

No way in hell.

It was a classic "reputation" call. Not that its necessarily bad or good, or that it's fixed, but good teams get those calls, bad teams do not.