time to play...

Cugalabanza

Please recommend some stuff you like. Not necessarily all-time favorites. Just something maybe you've enjoyed recently or something you feel is underrated or forgotten or deserves a special notice. Here's what I got...

Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson. Denis Johnson is an amazingly talented writer. This, in my opinion, is the best showcase of his talent.

And Then There Were None. 1945 version of the Agatha Christie novel. A true forgotten classic. Really fun whodunnit. If you like murder mysteries, you will LOVE this movie!

No Pocky For Kitty by Superchunk. 90's indie rock that still feels fresh today. Good songs and the guitars sound awesome.

Edited by gringo starr

Book: "Patrimony" by Phillip Roth (1991). Not Roth's best work, but nonetheless it's probably a book any son can appreciate.

Movie: "Rebecca" (1940). Seemingly Hitchcock's forgotten classic. Great.

Album (tie): "Either/Or" by Elliot Smith (1997). Similar to Roth in that it's probably not the artist's best work (that's probably 1998's X/O), but easily one of the most underappreciated albums I own. I could listen to it every day. You can feel the emotion in that album.

"Method: Fail. Repeat" by The Kite-Eating Tree (2004). Just a really, really good rock album. Great if you you're a fan of the bands Helmet or Quicksand.

"These Liquid Lungs" by Cadillac Blindside (2002).

Book: Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut. He does more than just Slaughterhouse Five you know. :)

I love Vonnegut. I've read a bunch of his, but not Hocus Pocus yet. I think it's time for me to read that one. :thumbsup:

Good stuff all!

I've read a couple P.K.Dick books. I really loved Time Out of Joint and Flow My Tears the Policeman Said. I need to check out Do Androids...

I love Vonnegut. I've read a bunch of his, but not Hocus Pocus yet. I think it's time for me to read that one. :thumbsup:

Good stuff all!

I've read a couple P.K.Dick books. I really loved Time Out of Joint and Flow My Tears the Policeman Said. I need to check out Do Androids...

I love the way Dick utilizes the same themes of abuse of authority in such a wide range of novels. Ever read "The Man in the High Castle?"

Book: "Patrimony" by Phillip Roth (1991). Not Roth's best work, but nonetheless it's probably a book any son can appreciate.

Movie: "Rebecca" (1940). Seemingly Hitchcock's forgotten classic. Great.

Album (tie): "Either/Or" by Elliot Smith (1997). Similar to Roth in that it's probably not the artist's best work (that's probably 1998's X/O), but easily one of the most underappreciated albums I own. I could listen to it every day. You can feel the emotion in that album.

"Method: Fail. Repeat" by The Kite-Eating Tree (2004). Just a really, really good rock album. Great if you you're a fan of the bands Helmet or Quicksand.

"These Liquid Lungs" by Cadillac Blindside (2002).

Man, I'm loving this thread so far!

I'm a big fan of Elliott Smith and Rebecca is a great call too.

I have not yet read a Roth book, but I'll take your word on this one (since you obviously have excellent taste) :D

I love the way Dick utilizes the same themes of abuse of authority in such a wide range of novels. Ever read "The Man in the High Castle?"

Not yet. So much stuff, hard to get to it all. :)

Movie: ALIENS just watched this for about the 100th time. Great movie.

Book: The Black Hand finished reading this a little while ago, but it is still fresh in my mind. Mexican Mafia drop out. Makes you wonder about prison and what is really going on.

Album: Can't think of one......

So I assume this means you don't know how to read???

Hey, I deleted that. Don't know why it did that. It was an unfinished post and I got an error........... Damn Gremlins

Edited by BB27

I loved The Killer Angels. Didn't actually read it until after I saw Gettysburg, which was some great film-making.

Same here. Watched the movie a week or so after my first trip to Gettysburg. Saw is was based on that book and had to get it. If you've never been to Gettysburg and have any interest in the Civil war go. Ignore the gaudy monuments and just be in awe of the immenseness of the battlefield. I stood overlooking the field that was Pickett's Charge......damn.

Same here. Watched the movie a week or so after my first trip to Gettysburg. Saw is was based on that book and had to get it. If you've never been to Gettysburg and have any interest in the Civil war go. Ignore the gaudy monuments and just be in awe of the immenseness of the battlefield. I stood overlooking the field that was Pickett's Charge......damn.

Chef, I have never been to Gettysburg but I have always been fascinated by the Civil War. A friend of mine went there and told me that when he saw the battlefield where Pickett's Charge took place, he said to me that he could not believe what the Confederate Army & Lee was thinking when they did that.

Chef, I have never been to Gettysburg but I have always been fascinated by the Civil War. A friend of mine went there and told me that when he saw the battlefield where Pickett's Charge took place, he said to me that he could not believe what the Confederate Army & Lee was thinking when they did that.

When you go, and you must if you're fascinated by the Civil War, study the battle. From the pre-battle days until after. Look at battle maps of the three days of the troop movements. Read this book. Then go. Spend as much time there as you can. It's amazing. As I mentioned try to ignore all the gaudy monuments.