Any one ever hear of "spice"?

Next time, learn how to use Google before trying to teach someone else how to do it. :P

Here's how Google actually works:

- Quotes signify an exact phrase or word, they have nothing to do with whether both words have to be on the site or not.

- " " around a phrase means match that exact phrase in that exact order.

- " " around a single word means to not use any synonyms and only that exact word, which is the same as putting a + sign in front of a word.

- By default, Google uses AND as the operator (like any sane search engine). This means that Google *always* requires all of the words to be in search results, unless you specify a different logical operator.

My point was Google search result numbers aren't really data thats evident of anything. I could write a script that makes a million web pages on various free web hosts that have random text that say something ridiculous like "My friends Jim Kelly and Bob Barker love game shows. In unrelated news, terrorists are still trying to terrorise people" and have them crawled by Google. They likely won't show up near the top of the search results (as no one's actually looking at those pages), but it'll increase the number of page results for your search by a million. (This wouldn't completely work as Google is likely to omit search results that are too close, but you see my point).

Isn't this what I said? What are you saying that I don't know?

What he said. Interesting idea Bluefire on skewing the hits, I like it.

What he said? He asked a question.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you just trying to be offensive? Just checking.

No, isn't "what he said" something that you say when somebody says something you agree with - not when somebody asks something about how google works? What is it you are agreeing with?

Seems like you are trying to be "agreeable" to anybody who you think is backing your point. Even though one guy is talking about how google works and the other guy is asking him a question about it, and aren't backing your point at all.

Here's what you first said to me on this thread:

So you are against something you know little about?

Now, that's being disagreeable. (Especially, when I know a lot about it)

Isn't this what I said? What are you saying that I don't know?

No, it isn't what you said. This is what you said:

Did you put quotes around "Jim Kelly" and "terrorist" - that got 100K hits. It means that both words have to be on the site, not just one of them.

Not to hijack the thread, but why is it I regularly get results (highly ranked results at that) where some of the words are NOT on the page. Even if I click on the cached version, I often get a word or two are on "pages pointing to this page" or something like that?

There's a couple of reasons for that:

- By default, Google looks for synonyms of words you type in.

- Google will look for other ways that a word you typed in the search applies to a page in its search results, even if that word doesn't necessarily appear on that site (most likely scenario).

For example, let's say I'm searching Google for disgusting dog photographs. The top page returned might be a page that only says "Dog Photographs" and has 50 pictures of dogs on it. However, lots of other people have posted this page as a link on their blog or on forums, and have said "Look at these disgusting dog photographs!" and provided the link. As a result, Google knows a couple things:

1.) Even though the page itself doesn't say "disgusting", it's valid to associate the word "disgusting" with it. As a result, Google considers that a match even though it doesn't specifically say 'disgusting' in the page text itself.

2.) Because it was linked to a lot, Google knows it's popular, and that bumps it's rank up.

From a high level, that's how it works. I'm not smart enough to really understand a lot of the math beneath it, so I couldn't tell you what the thresholds are to determine when a page gets associated with a word, for example. And not all links are given the same weight - there's lots of things it depends on. I've read that Google takes into account hundreds of variables for each page in its search results.

Seems like you are trying to be "agreeable" to anybody who you think is backing your point. Even though one guy is talking about how google works and the other guy is asking him a question about it, and aren't backing your point at all.

Here's what you first said to me on this thread:

So you are against something you know little about?

Now, that's being disagreeable. (Especially, when I know a lot about it)

You sure didn't seem to know that a huge part of the paranoia from tampon deficient people like yourself stems from the fact it is illegal. I could also take issue with your comment about people. You come across as a whiny B word who drinks, but can't handle weed. How is that for disagreeable?

- Google will look for other ways that a word you typed in the search applies to a page in its search results, even if that word doesn't necessarily appear on that site (most likely scenario).

For example, let's say I'm searching Google for disgusting dog photographs. The top page returned might be a page that only says "Dog Photographs" and has 50 pictures of dogs on it. However, lots of other people have posted this page as a link on their blog or on forums, and have said "Look at these disgusting dog photographs!" and provided the link. As a result, Google knows a couple things:

1.) Even though the page itself doesn't say "disgusting", it's valid to associate the word "disgusting" with it. As a result, Google considers that a match even though it doesn't specifically say 'disgusting' in the page text itself.

2.) Because it was linked to a lot, Google knows it's popular, and that bumps it's rank up.

From a high level, that's how it works. I'm not smart enough to really understand a lot of the math beneath it, so I couldn't tell you what the thresholds are to determine when a page gets associated with a word, for example. And not all links are given the same weight - there's lots of things it depends on. I've read that Google takes into account hundreds of variables for each page in its search results.

Ahh that makes sense. I thought it was that or search criteria led to x. Thanks.

No, it isn't what you said. This is what you said:

I still don't see what I'm saying is different from what you are saying. The word "and" is the default, as you point out, so that means they both have to be on the site for it to show up in the results. What are you saying that is different than what I'm saying?

I still don't see what I'm saying is different from what you are saying. The word "and" is the default, as you point out, so that means they both have to be on the site for it to show up in the results. What are you saying that is different than what I'm saying?

Maybe I misread what you originally were saying - but the way I read it was you were saying quotes were what causes it to require all of the search terms to be part of the search results. I was saying Google does that by default, and that quotes cause Google to look at exact phrases in that specific order.

If that's not what you meant, then sorry! :)

You sure didn't seem to know that a huge part of the paranoia from tampon deficient people like yourself stems from the fact it is illegal. I could also take issue with your comment about people. You come across as a whiny B word who drinks, but can't handle weed. How is that for disagreeable?

Ew, now we want to get personal, and question one's manhood. I thought you stoners were supposed to be so peaceful?

Paranoia from pot has very little or anything to do with it's supposed illegality. As I asked before, does anybody know anybody who has ever spent time in jail for recreational pot use? Why don't you hear about this from people who are doing underage drinking or other illegal drugs. That must be some talking point from some hemp magazine of yours.

Paranoia is part of the package for tons of pot smokers. Even The Dean, and just about every pot smoker I know acknowledges that.

And, also I've said before, I could care less if you smoke till it comes out your ears. Just don't say it's harmless and nothing bad ever happens. (Or, the only bad thing stems from it's legal status).

You never even answered the question - what is it your are agreeing with when you said "what he said" to Dean's question?

Maybe I misread what you originally were saying - but the way I read it was you were saying quotes were what causes it to require all of the search terms to be part of the search results. I was saying Google does that by default, and that quotes cause Google to look at exact phrases in that specific order.

If that's not what you meant, then sorry! :)

Here's what I'm saying and maybe I'm wrong, but when I used to do Boolean stuff, it worked this way. You put in pot paranoia and you get 950K hits. You put quotes around the two words and you get 890K hits. (Using Jim Kelly terrorist makes it 300K/100K). I thought the reason for this is because the operator default is AND and so both the word pot and paranoia would have to be on the same site for it to show as a result. So, that would be a higher incidence of the two words being correlated than a bunch of sites that only say pot and a bunch that only say paranoia.

And, I thought that is what you were saying, too, here:

- Quotes signify an exact phrase or word, they have nothing to do with whether both words have to be on the site or not.

- " " around a phrase means match that exact phrase in that exact order.

- " " around a single word means to not use any synonyms and only that exact word, which is the same as putting a + sign in front of a word.

- By default, Google uses AND as the operator (like any sane search engine). This means that Google *always* requires all of the words to be in search results, unless you specify a different logical operator.

Aren't we saying the same thing?

Sounds reasonable, but that completely invalidates this:

When I specifically go to an advance search and type my inquiry in to the "all these words" box I expect ALL of those words to be on the page. Particularly in the early results. Every mother freaking one of them. I'm not often looking for an exact phrase, but I am usually searching for a very specific combination of terms. There should be a way to let the search engine know I don't want it to use any substitutions, leaps of logic, etc.

Now, for me Google remains far and away the best general search engine. But that one thing drives me up the wall.

Ew, now we want to get personal, and question one's manhood. I thought you stoners were supposed to be so peaceful?

Paranoia from pot has very little or anything to do with it's supposed illegality. As I asked before, does anybody know anybody who has ever spent time in jail for recreational pot use? Why don't you hear about this from people who are doing underage drinking or other illegal drugs. That must be some talking point from some hemp magazine of yours.

Paranoia is part of the package for tons of pot smokers. Even The Dean, and just about every pot smoker I know acknowledges that.

And, also I've said before, I could care less if you smoke till it comes out your ears. Just don't say it's harmless and nothing bad ever happens. (Or, the only bad thing stems from it's legal status).

You never even answered the question - what is it your are agreeing with when you said "what he said" to Dean's question?

Crybaby B word, no wonder you get paranoid. Whine much on other topics?

Crybaby B word, no wonder you get paranoid. Whine much on other topics?

Whining crybaby B word? Man, who pissed in your bong water?

Well, if any of you are on the fence about whether you should smoke pot because you've been told there are are no negative effects, you now have your proof.

Call somebody out for not knowing what they're talking about? Check.......If that turns out not to be true, tell them they hang out with losers? Check.......Make a few more posts that make no sense? Check.......When somebody asks you to get some clarity through the smoky haze about how you can say "What he said" when the dude was asking a question, resort to junior high trash talk? Check.

Whining crybaby B word? Man, who pissed in your bong water?

Well, if any of you are on the fence about whether you should smoke pot because you've been told there are are no negative effects, you now have your proof.

Call somebody out for not knowing what they're talking about? Check.......If that turns out not to be true, tell them they hang out with losers? Check.......Make a few more posts that make no sense? Check.......When somebody asks you to get some clarity through the smoky haze about how you can say "What he said" when the dude was asking a question, resort to junior high trash talk? Check.

Awesome, asttributing your own actions to me. If "what he said" is too complex for you, maybe you need help with tons of other more complex statements. I totally see how pot would freak you out, you aren't capable of understanding +1.

Edited by Booster4324

Awesome, asttributing your own actions to me. If "what he said" is too complex for you, maybe you need help with tons of other more complex statements. I totally see how pot would freak you out, you aren't capable of understanding +1.

Your writing is about as clear as mud. It took me about 5 tries, but I think I finally figured out what your three sentences mean.

- the own actions - you said "I guess we hang out with different types" I read that as "I guess your friends are losers who would think that a stove could blow, whereas my friends are cool"

- "What he said" is not too complex for me, but it is for you. It means "I totally agree with what this guy said." Dean asked a question about how google works and you said "What he said" How can you agree with a question? You obviously thought he was somehow making a pro pot point, which he wasn't.

- Yeah, because it's a lack of understanding that freaks people out on pot. Adam Carolla was talking about this on his hilarious podcast. He was saying that pot is not good for those who have a lot going on upstairs - there's too much in the closet to rummage thru and find skeletons......His buddy/producer Donny is a total stoner that Adam is always ragging on about doing dopey things. He said Donny is perfect for this drug because he's got nothing in that closet........Like Donny, I think you are not very articulate nor a very good communicator, and that's why it's good for you. Not that you have some great understanding, but actually the opposite. Case in point - wtf does the +1 mean at the end of your last sentence?

I always feel good when I smoke weed, and don't feel paranoia. Sometimes I feel euphoric. And it will help comfort whatever ails you. This is from personal experience, not from 10 cent conjecture. To hear a non smoker tell a smoker how bad the effects are is laughable. And on that note I am going to fire up the bong. Coffee and bonghits is a fantastic way to start the day!

And that synthetic spice crap is dangerous and unregulated. The FDA does not regulate spice. There is no list of ingredients. Anything could be in there. And I try and avoid synthetic **** (MSG, Frankenfood, etc). Put down the spice and get some nice dank purple!

Edited by Pete