Does my generation know evil? (I am 29)

boyst

I posted in another thread earlier today and was told I should watch Penn and Tellers "Bullsh!t Show," btw, thanks Steely.

In the video that I finished a while ago a thought came from what was said in the video, that we are in a generation now that does not know evil, pain, torcher, suffering, etcetc. I do not understand this. Before stating my viewpoint, I would like to ask the board, both younger and older what they think the simple (or not so) answer is to the question. While I am definately opinionated I do not form them based on impulse thoughts and weak idealogies yielding no merit of fact. That being said it is clear that I know no other generation like my own and simply ask how others may see it.

So, does our current generation know of pain, suffering, torcher, and evil? Do we know the harshness of life, humanity, and reality?

(Disclaimer: I do understand that this board is generally full of conservative folks whom have the personality INTJ, who also, for the most part display higher intellects than others; all of which will probably determine that all answers may be similar.)

Thank you for your thoughts, hopefully the thread doesn't totally flame out! :bag:

As to Evil, I can't say. This generation is def oblivious to a lot of things though. Definitely doesn't know the hardships of the great depression, dust bowl, WWII, the Cuban Missile Crisis, and so forth. I never lived thru all that. But I read about it and learned.

Our past generations have gone thru quite a lot. Maybe more than we'll ever know and see. So when our generation complains about something, I don't always take the complaints very seriously.

Learn from the past, lest you repeat it.

Pain - ever have a close friend/relative die suddenly?

Suffering - Long term unemployemt? Living paycheck to paycheck and wondering if you'd ever get ahead? Or maybe not making it to that next paycheck?

Torcher - I'm not sure what that means, even when I looked up the definition

Evil - 9/11

(I'm only about 10 years older than you)

Sure, we may not have had WWI, WWII, The Great Depression, etc, but we do have our experiences.

Pain - ever have a close friend/relative die suddenly?

Suffering - Long term unemployemt? Living paycheck to paycheck and wondering if you'd ever get ahead? Or maybe not making it to that next paycheck?

Torcher - I'm not sure what that means, even when I looked up the definition

Evil - 9/11

(I'm only about 10 years older than you)

Sure, we may not have had WWI, WWII, The Great Depression, etc, but we do have our experiences.

Torture?

Well let's see, just 7 years ago we had many in the media and government conspire to get US into a bloody war based on a bunch of manufactured evidence. Many lives were lost and many people came back maimed and cripppled. Seems pretty damm evil to me.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Well let's see, just 7 years ago we had many in the media and government conspire to get US into a bloody war based on a bunch of manufactured evidence. Many lives were lost and many people came back maimed and cripppled. Seems pretty damm evil to me.

And so begins the flame war.

:rolleyes:

As to the OP's question, there's no doubt we know evil. We know that almost 1/6th of the world's population lives under an evil totalitarian regime, and another 1/6 dwell in countries that are either somewhat or totally under the influence of a vile, backwards creed. Consider these holocausts:

Darfur

Bosnia

Chechnya

Rwanda

We've also seen numerous wars. We've seen a major recession. And here's the best part: I think it's going to get worse.

Man has proven one thing. When the poop hits the fan, they will ALWAYS turn to a strongman for solutions, and liberty almost alwyas ends in tyranny. Take from that what you will, but I see a definite trend toward the power of the state both here, in Europe and elsehwereand a definite movement away from the empowerment of the individual.

And so begins the flame war.

:rolleyes:

As to the OP's question, there's no doubt we know evil. We know that almost 1/6th of the world's population lives under an evil totalitarian regime, and another 1/6 dwell in countries that are either somewhat or totally under the influence of a vile, backwards creed. Consider these holocausts:

Darfur

Bosnia

Chechnya

Rwanda

We've also seen numerous wars. We've seen a major recession. And here's the best part: I think it's going to get worse.

Man has proven one thing. When the poop hits the fan, they will ALWAYS turn to a strongman for solutions, and liberty almost alwyas ends in tyranny. Take from that what you will, but I see a definite trend toward the power of the state both here, in Europe and elsehwereand a definite movement away from the empowerment of the individual.

to flip this around, I'd argue the 24 hour news cycle has numbed us to evil. With these atrocities, various wars and terrorist attacks...the Jersey Shore...being beamed into our faces all day the shock and confusion that came with witnessing pure "evil" has faded. Evil actions and evil personalities become obnoxious talking points for partisan hacks as opposed to moments that actively shock us. Can you imagine what the coverage of the Cuban Missile Crisis would be like today? We'd be praying for the apocalypse just to get the chumps on CNN and Fox to shut up.

to flip this around, I'd argue the 24 hour news cycle has numbed us to evil. With these atrocities, various wars and terrorist attacks...the Jersey Shore...being beamed into our faces all day the shock and confusion that came with witnessing pure "evil" has faded. Evil actions and evil personalities become obnoxious talking points for partisan hacks as opposed to moments that actively shock us. Can you imagine what the coverage of the Cuban Missile Crisis would be like today? We'd be praying for the apocalypse just to get the chumps on CNN and Fox to shut up.

:lol:

to flip this around, I'd argue the 24 hour news cycle has numbed us to evil. With these atrocities, various wars and terrorist attacks...the Jersey Shore...being beamed into our faces all day the shock and confusion that came with witnessing pure "evil" has faded.

No amount of blather would numb me to what's happening in Darfur. But your point is well taken.

I posted in another thread earlier today and was told I should watch Penn and Tellers "Bullsh!t Show," btw, thanks Steely.

In the video that I finished a while ago a thought came from what was said in the video, that we are in a generation now that does not know evil, pain, torcher, suffering, etcetc. I do not understand this. Before stating my viewpoint, I would like to ask the board, both younger and older what they think the simple (or not so) answer is to the question. While I am definately opinionated I do not form them based on impulse thoughts and weak idealogies yielding no merit of fact. That being said it is clear that I know no other generation like my own and simply ask how others may see it.

So, does our current generation know of pain, suffering, torcher, and evil? Do we know the harshness of life, humanity, and reality?

(Disclaimer: I do understand that this board is generally full of conservative folks whom have the personality INTJ, who also, for the most part display higher intellects than others; all of which will probably determine that all answers may be similar.)

Thank you for your thoughts, hopefully the thread doesn't totally flame out! :bag:

I try to be less of a grammar/spelling nazi than I used to be, but seriously?

I try to be less of a grammar/spelling nazi than I used to be, but seriously?

To be fair, it was at one in the morning. Any number of drinks could have been flowing through his brain at the time.