Trent Edwards in for Jax!

1B4IDie

The offense also improved last year with Trent's removal and the insertion of Fitz. So I'm not sure how the team does week-to-week this year negates the fact the team performs better with Fitzpatrick under center.

Also, keep in mind that Tennessee's defense had prepared for Gerrard's game, which involves a spy on Gerrard (in case he runs) and more coverage on the middle and intermediate routes. When Edwards came in, they gave him the underneath which is where (sadly) he excels. Trent will start next week and look for the opposing defense to squat 5 yards past the LOS and proceed to give him fits (Fitz?).

Trent is who we thought he is. A serviceable back-up in the NFL.

Thanks Heels,

I was waiting for the bad defense argument.

To point out the same thing happened in 2009.

Now dogs next move is to say "if you throw out the Colts game against 3rd stringers . . ."

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787

The offense also improved last year with Trent's removal and the insertion of Fitz. So I'm not sure how the team does week-to-week this year negates the fact the team performs better with Fitzpatrick under center.

Also, keep in mind that Tennessee's defense had prepared for Gerrard's game, which involves a spy on Gerrard (in case he runs) and more coverage on the middle and intermediate routes. When Edwards came in, they gave him the underneath which is where (sadly) he excels. Trent will start next week and look for the opposing defense to squat 5 yards past the LOS and proceed to give him fits (Fitz?).

Trent is who we thought he is. A serviceable back-up in the NFL.

I can take you in a wrestling match heels, you weenie :nana:

Nobody knows. But having seen David, who is 50/50 this year straddling the line between acceptable and abysmal, I'm up for finding out what Trent's got.

I'll say this, I saw more from Trent yesterday running plays he has never practiced than I have from David. I saw a quick release. I saw pocket awareness. I saw a guy feel pressure, scramble, but keep his eyes down field and find a receiver open.

Does it mean he's going to be great? Probably not. But you can't ignore that he looked better than our starter having only been here 3 weeks, with no first team reps (etc).

Over at Times Union, Gene Frenette said "Do not judge Trent Edwards based solely on play vs. Titans. He was asked to run plays he had only seen on paper, not practiced" yet Edwards actually handled the offense somewhat efficiently. So with that in mind I am just wondering how Trent would do with a couple of practices/games with the 1s. Can he unseat Garrard for the rest of the season? Can he play at a higher level than Garrard? I know it's not likely he becomes a long term fixture at QB, but you never know. Maybe he turns it "on". What do you guys think?

Whether Edwards is really a decent QB or not is up in the air (most people think he's not), but one thing that was immediately obvious last night is that thte ball definately get's to the reciever with a lot more velocity compared to Garrard. The ball seems to come out quicker too. It would be interesting to see how he would do with a week prepping to be the starter and a game plan more tailored to his particular talents.

The way I see it is that on his best day Garrard is a game manager.

On Edward's best day, he could be a prolific quarterback, this is evidenced by his dismantling of the Jaguars a couple years back.

Give Edwards a shot or two this season, he's deserved at least some playing time with the way he came in and played better than Garrard, which is not saying much but still...

We just need change. And a lot of it.

Some posts from the Jags forum about Trent Edwards

Edited by dog14787

Yup, Trent really needs to do something about his WR's fumbling on the opponents 9 yard line or letting footballs get ripped right out of their hands in the endzone and TE should pass protect and pick up blitzes better and hike the ball to himself on the right snap count.

The guy comes in off the bench cold, three weeks with a new offense, said he could count the reps he had this last week with the starters on one hand, and still manages to move his team down the football field against a good Titans defense.

You guys see what you want to see, I see a fella that gave 100% again in a loss where his supporting cast did not play well around him.

I saw him run for 2 yards again on a 4th and 6 to end the game. I also saw him lollipop a deep out for an interception, something that we've seen multiple times in Buffalo.

Last night was just further proof that Buffalo made a great decision to dump Edwards. He's not a solid QB. He may not even be in the league next year. Once the opposing team game plans against Trent, he is a very easy QB to defend. He might be the easiest QB in the league to shut down and rattle (other than maybe Clausen or Colt McCoy)

Guest dog14787

I saw him run for 2 yards again on a 4th and 6 to end the game. I also saw him lollipop a deep out for an interception, something that we've seen multiple times in Buffalo.

TE was playing to get extra reps in for next week in case he was needed and was losing by 21 points, hardly the time to get injured and leave your team without a healthy QB on the roster.

Last night was just further proof that Buffalo made a great decision to dump Edwards. He's not a solid QB. He may not even be in the league next year. Once the opposing team game plans against Trent, he is a very easy QB to defend. He might be the easiest QB in the league to shut down and rattle (other than maybe Clausen or Colt McCoy)

Based on what, Buffalo's superb supporting cast and superior offensive minded coaching comparative to the rest of the league or is it Buffalo's ability to develop QB's.

TE was playing to get extra reps in for next week in case he was needed and was losing by 21 points, hardly the time to get injured and leave your team without a healthy QB on the roster.

So throwing the ball at least down field on the last play of the game instead of running means he'll get injured? Huh?

:unsure:

Guest dog14787

So throwing the ball at least down field on the last play of the game instead of running means he'll get injured? Huh?

:unsure:

If there's nobody open you don't throw it for the fun of it do you?

Based on what, Buffalo's superb supporting cast and superior offensive minded coaching comparative to the rest of the league or is it Buffalo's ability to develop QB's.

Dear god, just STFU already. You can still wear your Trent jersey on Sundays and start him in Madden, nobody cares.

Guest dog14787

Dear god, just STFU already. You can still wear your Trent jersey on Sundays and start him in Madden, nobody cares.

Don't tell me what to do buddy, you STFU, we debate football here on TSW, you don't like it stay the hell out of the conversation. Some folks are capable of debating Trent Edwards rationally.

Don't tell me what to do buddy, you STFU, we debate football here on TSW, you don't like it stay the hell out of the conversation. Some folks are capable of debating Trent Edwards rationally.

You're clearly not one of them.

I'm not the one that didn't have jack to say so attacked the poster fruit punch,

I apologize for the "STFU" :beer: ... but you don't have much to say on the matter besides instructions on polishing your rose colored glasses.

We discussed this ad infinitum in the shoutbox last night. There's really nothing more to say on the the subject and you're not going to convince anyone. You admitted you're only doing it because he was a Bill. Why not just move on? If he throws for 300 yards and wins a few games, we'll all buy you a big cookie.

Guest dog14787

I apologize for the "STFU" :beer: ... but you don't have much to say on the matter besides instructions on polishing your rose colored glasses.

We discussed this ad infinitum in the shoutbox last night. There's really nothing more to say on the the subject and you're not going to convince anyone. You admitted you're only doing it because he was a Bill. Why not just move on? If he throws for 300 yards and wins a few games, we'll all buy you a big cookie.

Thanks for the apology,

All I said on the shoutbox was folks follow players after they leave, like Marshawn Lynch,or Jabari Greer,and theres nothing wrong with it. I watched the Seahawks game and it sure wasn't because I like the seahawks or da bears,

I didn't start this thread and I don't have to tell you my whole life story, but just so happens that I have a daughter who lives in Jacksonville and even though she's not an avid football fan I hope that things will change and she will start following her City's football team. It will make it extra special for me If Trent Edwards does well in jacksonville

Edited by dog14787

Thanks for the apology,

All I said on the shoutbox was folks follow players after they leave, like Marshawn Lynch,or Jabari Greer,and theres nothing wrong with it. I watched the Seahawks game and it sure wasn't because I like the seahawks or da bears,

I didn't start this thread and I don't have to tell you my whole life story, but just so happens that I have a daughter who lives in Jacksonville and even though she's not an avid football fan I hope that things will change and she will start following her City's football team. It will make it extra special for me If Trent Edwards does well in jacksonville

Honestly---- and as I said last night--- I hope nothing but the best for Trent Edwards. If he can turn things around in Jax, good for him. I just think he's no longer capable of being an effective NFL QB, and I don't understand what seems to be defending him irrationally when he didn't appear to have done particularly well. If your daughter is a Jags fan then I sincerely hope for her sake they can rehabilitate their organization. They're almost as dysfunctional as our Bills.

(It always seems more innocent to use internet acronyms like "STFU", but when actually spelling it out it comes across much more harsh--- definitely more harsh than I intended and you didn't deserve that.)

Thanks Heels,

I was waiting for the bad defense argument.

To point out the same thing happened in 2009.

Now dogs next move is to say "if you throw out the Colts game against 3rd stringers . . ."

The bad defense argument is completely valid: it stands to reason that any quarterback's stats will look better after facing a few bad defenses than a few good ones. Comparing Trent's stats from this year (against two of the best pass defenses in the league) to Fitz's (who faced two of the worst pass defenses in the league) isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

As for last season, Trent averaged 6.4 yards per pass attempt, and had a rating of 73.8. Fitzpatrick averaged 6.3 yards per pass attempt, and had a rating of 69.7. I agree that last year's offense seemed to function more effectively when Fitz was under center, because he was at least a threat to throw longer than you'd typically expect from Trent. Sometimes taking a few shots down field will help open things up, even if many of the throws are inaccurate passes that fall incomplete. If Trent could learn to do that too, he'd be a better quarterback than he is now.

That said, I don't regard either quarterback as a long-term answer.

Answer me this, doesn't common sense tell you that the offense as a whole would improve from week to week. Answer me this doesn't common sense tell you Fitz would score more points against the 28th and 30th worse defenses in the league.

Dude, denial ain't just a river in Egypt. Give up the Trent love (or become a Jags fan -- they need one).

The bad defense argument is completely valid: it stands to reason that any quarterback's stats will look better after facing a few bad defenses than a few good ones. Comparing Trent's stats from this year (against two of the best pass defenses in the league) to Fitz's (who faced two of the worst pass defenses in the league) isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

As for last season, Trent averaged 6.4 yards per pass attempt, and had a rating of 73.8. Fitzpatrick averaged 6.3 yards per pass attempt, and had a rating of 69.7. I agree that last year's offense seemed to function more effectively when Fitz was under center, because he was at least a threat to throw longer than you'd typically expect from Trent. Sometimes taking a few shots down field will help open things up, even if many of the throws are inaccurate passes that fall incomplete. If Trent could learn to do that too, he'd be a better quarterback than he is now.

That said, I don't regard either quarterback as a long-term answer.

Then go back and look at some of the games those two started against, just two that I recall ....Fitz against the back up Colt players in a game where they pulled all the starters because they didn't want any getting hurt heading into the playoffs. Edwards against the Saints D and Gregg Williams constant blitzing, All the guy did all game was run for his life each play, and of course the Bills OC kept calling passing plays.

Before I condem the guy I'll wait and see how he performs in Jacksonville with 1st string reps and being taught by someone that actually is an offensive coordinator