Bills fans should take Ryan Fitzpatrick seriously...

1billsfan

I am not saying they statistical comparison to Kelly is correct, but there is one thing clear in this and every other thread about Fitzy.

He is never going to have the fan's support. He's a backup...you hear that a lot...actually it would seem like that is never an original thought, or a substantiated claim, but just what you heard on a message board so you should "lol" and "roflmao" about the the ideal of Fitz as a starter.

If there is a real argument that's fine, but the "We know what we have, a backup" is stupid.

So is "prevent defense."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a great leader but needs to get serious about the weight room if he wants to be the man.

I noticed that. That argument could apply to most of the Bills IMO. Spiller excepted :blush:

I am not saying they statistical comparison to Kelly is correct, but there is one thing clear in this and every other thread about Fitzy.

He is never going to have the fan's support. He's a backup...you hear that a lot...actually it would seem like that is never an original thought, or a substantiated claim, but just what you heard on a message board so you should "lol" and "roflmao" about the the ideal of Fitz as a starter.

If there is a real argument that's fine, but the "We know what we have, a backup" is stupid.

So is "prevent defense."

Actually, I think Fitz could have fan support in a heartbeat.

Three letters would do it: "Win"

Unfortunately, Fitzy can't do it alone.

listen to the Robot. He speaks the truth.

Except for today.

We haven't been 20 points down with the backs ups in this season except for the GB game, but Trent Edwards was the QB.

I'll give the 'bot the 4th qtr drive against the Pats but you can't say the stats are padded.

But I'm not agreeing Fitzy is the replacement for Jim Kelly. Fitzpatrick is the perfect bridge QB for our #1 QB draft pick.

The Fitzpatrick Bridge.

Fitzpatrick can start and the Future Franchise QB can learn for a year.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

Fitzy is a Buffalo type player & i like that about him . I just hope that the powers that be realize they don't need to do something stupid to get a QB just for the sake of saying they drafted a QB or to appease Ralph in some way , shape or form !!!

I think we need to find out what we have on hand first beyond a shadow of a dought before they make a decision that only a Bills fan would make !!

If we keep going down the losing road throw Brohm to the wolves and let him prove that he's either crap or gold & make a decision on the position from there.

All of the Bills fan base has already passed judgment on the guy from what he did in GB . He's still young and if the switch went on before determining what he's got by football people rather than a fan base could prove to be foolish as did letting Leonard , Hargrove, & a host of others go .

I'm just sayin i hope they don't make any knee jerk moves !!

Fitzy is a Buffalo type player & i like that about him . I just hope that the powers that be realize they don't need to do something stupid to get a QB just for the sake of saying they drafted a QB or to appease Ralph in some way , shape or form !!!

I think we need to find out what we have on hand first beyond a shadow of a dought before they make a decision that only a Bills fan would make !!

If we keep going down the losing road throw Brohm to the wolves and let him prove that he's either crap or gold & make a decision on the position from there.

All of the Bills fan base has already passed judgment on the guy from what he did in GB . He's still young and if the switch went on before determining what he's got by football people rather than a fan base could prove to be foolish as did letting Leonard , Hargrove, & a host of others go .

I knew I'd get some serious blow back with this thread, but I wanted to open up some minds with his recent numbers. Fitzpatrick just might be hitting his professional stride just when the Bills need it. I'm so looking forward to see what he does in the Chiefs through Steelers stretch of games. If he puts up big numbers and shows consistency then this year could indeed become special. How nice would it be for the Bills to not worry about QB and grab a monster defensive lineman with that #1 pick.

This year, Fitzpatrick has a better QB rating and 2 less TDs than Sanchez in half the starts.

He has a better QB rating and 3 less TDs than Brady with 2 less starts.

Yes the defenses haven't been good, but at least he proved he can do it against the bad defenses. That's a plus. A starting point. For the "he needs to win crowd," this is a flat out bad year. This ridiculously bad defense that the Bills have has sealed their fate of a 3 win or less season. Odds are that he won't have a very good game this week, because they've got a poor offensive line and they're going on the road against one of the NFL premier defenses. But I'm excited to see if Fitzpatrick's impressive numbers continue (especially after the Ravens game which won't be pretty). The possibility is out there.

I knew I'd get some serious blow back with this thread, but I wanted to open up some minds with his recent numbers. Fitzpatrick just might be hitting his professional stride just when the Bills need it. I'm so looking forward to see what he does in the Chiefs through Steelers stretch of games. If he puts up big numbers and shows consistency then this year could indeed become special. How nice would it be for the Bills to not worry about QB and grab a monster defensive lineman with that #1 pick.

This year, Fitzpatrick has a better QB rating and 2 less TDs than Sanchez in half the starts.

He has a better QB rating and 3 less TDs than Brady with 2 less starts.

Yes the defenses haven't been good, but at least he proved he can do it against the bad defenses. That's a plus. A starting point. For the "he needs to win crowd," this is a flat out bad year. This ridiculously bad defense that the Bills have has sealed their fate of a 3 win or less season. Odds are that he won't have a very good game this week, because they've got a poor offensive line and they're going on the road against one of the NFL premier defenses. But I'm excited to see if Fitzpatrick's impressive numbers continue (especially after the Ravens game which won't be pretty). The possibility is out there.

I agree with you 1billsfan that Fitzy is playing better than he is given credit for; Fitzy and the offense including the offensive line is playing much better than they are given credit for. Replacment for :worthy: Jim Kelly is a bit too much, but he would be a great starter for 2011 with Mallet on the bench learning the offense.

I tried to point out that our defense is the major problem this year and the offense is playing OK under Fitzy but I got major blow back too.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/121639-161-points-against/

Most people have predetermined their opinion without looking at the games objectively. They are also propagating the myth that we are getting completely blown out in every game, which isn't true.

Someone posted this earlier in your thread. Wins are really the only thing that is going to change any minds about Fitzy. This is true.

Its going to have to start in Week 8 against the Chiefs because the Ravens are going to pound the Bills on Sunday. The two teams are in completely different classes.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

...as a true contender to the QB we've all been searching for since Kelly left the stage. When you look at his stats over his last five starts (last two games in '09 and the first three in '10) you come to realize that these are not the stats of a backup player. Extrapolated over a 16 game season, these are the numbers of a top tier NFL QB. So what is there to get excited about this year? How about the prospect of Bills fans finding out their franchise QB is already here. This is not a prediction that he will be that, just that Bills fans need to see the very good work he's been doing and the prospect that he just might continue to do so...

Fitzpatrick's last 5 starts...

11 TDs / 3 interceptions

Average TDs per game - 2.2 (35 TDs in a 16 game season)

Average yards per game - 185.6 (2969 yards in a 16 game season)

Average QB rating - 100.66

As a comparison, here are Jim Kelly's 1990 Superbowl season stats (14 games)

Total TDs - 24

Total yards - 2829

Yards per game - 202.1

Rating - 101.2

Cue the haters...

Do you work in the Bills' front office? If not, you should apply for the job. You'll be hired instantly. Because it's astute scouting and talent evaluation like this that has kept the Bills from being a relevant NFL franchise for over a decade now.

I agree with you 1billsfan that Fitzy is playing better than he is given credit for; Fitzy and the offense including the offensive line is playing much better than they are given credit for. Replacment for :worthy: Jim Kelly is a bit too much, but he would be a great starter for 2011 with Mallet on the bench learning the offense.

I tried to point out that our defense is the major problem this year and the offense is playing OK under Fitzy but I got major blow back too.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/121639-161-points-against/

Most people have predetermined their opinion without looking at the games objectively. They are also propagating the myth that we are getting completely blown out in every game, which isn't true.

Someone posted this earlier in your thread. Wins are really the only thing that is going to change any minds about Fitzy. This is true.

Its going to have to start in Week 8 against the Chiefs because the Ravens are going to pound the Bills on Sunday. The two teams are in completely different classes.

At 0-5. this year is no longer about wins, it's now about individual performances. It's about who are 2010 versions of the Andre Reed, Pete Metzelaars, Jim Ritcher, and Darryl Talleys of the Bills roster circa 1985. Bruce Smith obviously wasn't going anywhere.

The way Fitz is playing now, QB is no longer the biggest problem on the team. But he has not yet earned the right to be dubbed a Franchise QB either.

You omitted W-L record in your extrapolation. Kelly was 12-2 in 14 starts. Stat talk aside, the difference between what Kelly could do and what Fitz has shown so far is simple; Jimbo could take the team on his back and win a football game. To me that is the difference between an adequate starter and a franchise QB.

...as a true contender to the QB we've all been searching for since Kelly left the stage. When you look at his stats over his last five starts (last two games in '09 and the first three in '10) you come to realize that these are not the stats of a backup player. Extrapolated over a 16 game season, these are the numbers of a top tier NFL QB. So what is there to get excited about this year? How about the prospect of Bills fans finding out their franchise QB is already here. This is not a prediction that he will be that, just that Bills fans need to see the very good work he's been doing and the prospect that he just might continue to do so...

11 TDs / 3 interceptions

Total TDs - 24

Total yards - 2829

Yards per game - 202.1

Rating - 101.2

Cue the haters...

:blink:

How many games has Fitz won int he past 2 seasons? How many balls fell from Fit's paws in the last game? 2. 3 if you want to count the latteral to Parish off the carpet.

Bring on Brohm!!!

I think you've got to be on something good to think Fitzpatrick is a guy you can consider for your franchise qb. Yes, I know everyone loves that he doesn't slide when he scrambles and he can throw the odd block, but come on. His accuracy is wildly inconsistent and he will lose games for you. That is all that really needs to be said. As usual, you need to watch the games and form a subjective opinion. Stats don't tell the story. Statistically 9 out of 10 people enjoy a prison gang-rape, but that doesn't make it right. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D:wallbash:

stats are the only way you judge a QB? Not worth arguing about...Comparing Fitz to Kelly..Wow!

...reason number 1 why fantasy football is ruining the game for people that actually like to watch the game. All we get are stats, stats, and more stats - and no understanding of the game.

Knee jerk moves? You do realize that you're talking about the same FO that looked at 3 years of film on Trent, had him #1 through OTAs, TC, Preseason, and it still took regular 2 season games to convince them that the guy was not a starter. The same FO that could have traded Lynch prior to the 2010 draft; but decided to wait until the regular season started to make essentially the same trade - effectively setting back any "progress" from that trade a full year. The same FO that didn't make a final decision on Schobel until well into the preseason - effectively making it impossible to bring a viable replacement pass rusher in 2010.

I think knee jerk moves should be the last of your worries. This FO seems to be moving at a snail's pace when it comes to evaluating players and making moves to improve the roster. If anything, I'd be worried that they don't fall asleep and miss day 1 of the draft next year.

I say give him an O-line and he'll be fine. It's like when we picked up Drew Bledsoe, knowing what we had in him and then NOT shoring up his line. Of course he was going to get killed. As soon as teams figured out our line sucked up front, they rushed Bledsoe straight up the middle, franchise QB with mobility issues.

Solve the problem by getting a stud line. Jim Kelly had a great line in front of him, helping him become one of the best QBs in the history of the game. I really think with continual work with the starters and a stud offensive line that Fitz would be a very good quarterback at the least.

Just my 5 cents,

Firemedic

Edited by firemedic

A disproportionate number of Fitz's stats have come against prevent defenses in garbage time. Kelly usually sat out those portions of games and never had a chance to pad his stats in the same way. Additionally, every QB passing against the Jags D has looked like a fantasy superstar--- and the Pats defense has done opposing QBs similar favors.

I like Fitz too (a lot, really), but some perspective is necessary when judging his statistics.

I'd be ok with him as the starter in 2011 if A) the Bills draft and "groom" a young QB behind Fitz until he is ready or B) there is no franchise QB available in the 1st round that the Bills feel comfortable with---- either, he's no more than a stopgap solution as a starter.

This.

I say give him an O-line and he'll be fine.

Sweet. I can't wait for the days when we have a quarterback that is fine.

Quarterbacks that are just fine lead their teams to 6-10 to 9-7 seasons, with a flukey outside chance at a one-and-done playoff berth.

Buffalo Bills fans: Desperate to rebuild back to 7-9 where it just feels like...home.

11 TDs / 3 interceptions

Total TDs - 24

Total yards - 2829

Yards per game - 202.1

Rating - 101.2

Cue the haters...

That's awesome those stats. But he should keep the bench warm. That's where Fitzy belongs man!

Put the stats aside and pay attention to the actual game. While Fitz is light years better than Trent, he's not consistent enough while the game is still being decided. A lot of Fitzy's glossy stats are coming once the Bills are 20 points down and the backups are in.

PTR

True, that. Moreover, two of his three games this season have been against some of the very worst pass defenses in the league. Of his last two games last season, one was against Indy's backups.

If you look at Fitz's stats from the 2009 season, and compare them straight-up to Trent's statistics from that same year, Trent's stats are slightly better.

The appearance of improvement over the last five games is based on the fact that he's played against backups, lousy pass defenses, and has received plenty of garbage time. Garbage time, I might add, against defenses which are lousy even when not in prevent mode. Of course his stats will look better under those circumstances! What quarterback's stats wouldn't?

Fitz is a good option at backup, but he isn't the successor to Jim Kelly.

So is "prevent defense."

As a fourth year player, Fitzpatrick had twelve starts with the Bengals. Once he hit free agency, NFL GMs didn't show any interest in him . . . except as a backup. That datum alone doesn't prove he's no more than a backup caliber player. But those who think he's the long-term answer at QB would do well to explain what they see in him that NFL GMs around the league didn't see.

Your statement that the phrase "prevent defense" is a stupid one is simply false. When a team has an overwhelming lead, defenses will often focus on preventing the big gain, even if it means allowing the underneath stuff. I also noted that you didn't provide any explanation as to why you thought the phrase "prevent defense" is stupid which, at very least, is not conducive to discussion.

As a fourth year player, Fitzpatrick had twelve starts with the Bengals. Once he hit free agency, NFL GMs didn't show any interest in him . . . except as a backup. That datum alone doesn't prove he's no more than a backup caliber player. But those who think he's the long-term answer at QB would do well to explain what they see in him that NFL GMs around the league didn't see.

Your statement that the phrase "prevent defense" is a stupid one is simply false. When a team has an overwhelming lead, defenses will often focus on preventing the big gain, even if it means allowing the underneath stuff. I also noted that you didn't provide any explanation as to why you thought the phrase "prevent defense" is stupid which, at very least, is not conducive to discussion.

No one here has said that he's the long term answer. What this thread was about was that he should at least be in the conversation about being the long term answer at QB given his recent play. Like no other position, every QB has a learning curve. Some are great right off the bat like Tom Brady and Kurt Warner. While others, like Drew Brees, take about 30 games for the light switch to come on. I think the light switch may have come on for Fitzpatrick. When I watch him play, the game doesn't seems too big for him. There's a sense of command and comfortability. In the end, this isn't going to be a hard decision. Either Fitzpatrick shows a Brees-like coming out party in 2010 or they will no doubt be drafting a QB at #1.

BTW, someone here said that "his accuracy is wildly inconsistent" ... over his last 6 starts his completion percentage is 63%, he's thrown 12 TDs with only 4 interceptions. Whoever said that needs to watch the games again.