Strange ingredients in garbage food

I was looking at the list of ingredients on a frozen gas station burrito today[the burrito was frozen, not the gas station] The list covered the whole back of the wrapper.What I am getting at, is what is the research path that leads you to believe Di sodium phosphate, Sodium stearoyl Lactylate, and Dipotassium Phosphate will improve your food product? Who, and how did they determine it will be useful and not a poison. Rat experiments?

I was looking at the list of ingredients on a frozen gas station burrito today[the burrito was frozen, not the gas station] The list covered the whole back of the wrapper.What I am getting at, is what is the research path that leads you to believe Di sodium phosphate, Sodium stearoyl Lactylate, and Dipotassium Phosphate will improve your food product? Who, and how did they determine it will be useful and not a poison. Rat experiments?

I hear subway doesn't use that stuff in their sandwiches. Yeah like you weren't expecting this reply. :D

Di sodium phosphate can help quicken the cooking times of certain foods. Probably good for a frozen burrito about to be cooked in a microwave.

Sodium stearoyl Lactylate is a commonly used emulsifier. Found in most manufactured breads, tortillas, buns and other bread based products. "Dietary studies in rats and dogs found no effect when this additive constituted less than 2.5% of the diet."

Dipotassium Phosphate is often used as a anti coagulation agent in many foods (perhaps the cheeses in your burrito). It has also shown to be able to prevent headaches in certain foods.

The internet is awesome. :thumbsup:

Di sodium phosphate can help quicken the cooking times of certain foods. Probably good for a frozen burrito about to be cooked in a microwave.

Sodium stearoyl Lactylate is a commonly used emulsifier. Found in most manufactured breads, tortillas, buns and other bread based products. "Dietary studies in rats and dogs found no effect when this additive constituted less than 2.5% of the diet."

Dipotassium Phosphate is often used as a anti coagulation agent in many foods (perhaps the cheeses in your burrito). It has also shown to be able to prevent headaches in certain foods.

Do you think someone once looked at a coca-cola and said, "gee, cocaine??? is that bad for me?"

True about the internet... Chiavetta's BBQ marinade has xanthum gum... I always wondered what that was:

Xanthum Gum

I hear subway doesn't use that stuff in their sandwiches. Yeah like you weren't expecting this reply. :D

One of the many reasons I do not go to subway. I want extra Calcium Sulfate in a sub? that should be in the posted price, not a "add on" at $1.00 more.

Also I want FD&C yellow #6 at no charge. Yes I am picky.

What I am getting at, is what is the research path that leads you to believe Di sodium phosphate, Sodium stearoyl Lactylate, and Dipotassium Phosphate will improve your food product? Who, and how did they determine it will be useful and not a poison. Rat experiments?

Companies (such as General Mills) hire food chemists to work this stuff out. I knew someone in college who went to work at General Mills as a chemist -- coming up with new flavors for products. Kinda cool. :)

Companies (such as General Mills) hire food chemists to work this stuff out. I knew someone in college who went to work at General Mills as a chemist -- coming up with new flavors for products. Kinda cool. :)

Did he come up with the **** flavor in the Nature Valley Granola bars?