Look at me! Look at Me!

I got given the perfect book for my birthday. By Dom Joly (the guy behing Trugger Happy TV - which was far funnier in the UK that the US version which bastardised the UK show) it's his autobiography with som emajor embellishment.

I smiled when I read the following as part of the legal bit at the front of the book. It's hidden, but I always read that stuff... Reminded me of a few people on the board:

The author assures the publishers that everything in this book is completely true - as far as he remembers, given that he has been quite heavily medicated for several prolonged periods of his life, and has a crippling substance abuse condition that has led to frequent blackouts and almost non-existant long-term memory. He has, therefore, subsequently pointed out that, although to the best of his knowledge this is an accurate summation of his life, it might be total bollocks. He's frankly not sure. Hope this helps when reading the following.

I got given the perfect book for my birthday. By Dom Joly (the guy behing Trugger Happy TV - which was far funnier in the UK that the US version which bastardised the UK show) it's his autobiography with som emajor embellishment.

151474[/snapback]

the original broadcasts of THTV were hilarious. When Comedy Central tried to create their own version, it was awful.

Between Dom Joly and Sascha Baron Cohen, are the funniest people all English these days?

the original broadcasts of THTV were hilarious.  When Comedy Central tried to create their own version, it was awful. 

Between Dom Joly and Sascha Baron Cohen, are the funniest people all English these days?

151486[/snapback]

We've always been the funniest... Monty Python...

We have guys like Peter Kay (Phoenix Nights, That Peter Kay Thing, Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere), Rowan Atkinson (Blackadder, Mr Bean, etc), Chris Morris (The Day Today), Steve Coogan (Alan Partridge), and loads more. I think it is just that we have a darker humour than US TV can't bear to produce but UK TV laps it up...

The US THTV was really poor... I mean just dreadful. The two series that he did over here were fantastic - and the US version proves why it was good why he left it at 2 series. Sasch Baren Cohen is also fabulous as Ali G - again he appearances on the 11 O'Clock show over here were legendary (also launcged Ricky Gervais of The Office) and his first Ali G show was stupendously funny and cutting. Later series - not so good. I do love the first US series of Ali G in da US-Aiiiiiii. But it really loses it's sheen after one series.

You guys should check out Peter Kay - stuff of genius... But you may not get some of it because it has such a strong tie to the NW region of the UK... If you've ever been to or visted Bolton, Chorley or Preston you'll cry with laughter. If you haven't - not so much. But take it from me it is spot on and devastatingly funny.

Finally - and this didn't mean to be as epic as it has turned out - you guys need to watch out for a series called Green Wing - shown on Channel 4 over here. This is a piss take hospital series that had my sides hurting for 30 minutes every time it showed. Tears would stream down my face... I think a DVD will be out soon. 100% Nick in England guaruntee on that one.

I smiled when I read the following as part of the legal bit at the front of the book. It's hidden, but I always read that stuff... Reminded me of a few people on the board:

151474[/snapback]

Joly's disclaimer soulds like something the late Douglas Adams would say.. :doh:

We get a good number of Britcoms here...Last of the Summer Wine, As Time Goes By, Are You Being Served?, Two's Company, Chef, Vicar of Dibley, etc.

We used to get Mr. Bean, Blackadder, and The Thin Blue Line - Atkinson's shows.

And I will NEVER forgive the BBC jerk that cancelled "Mulberry" before the series finished. :(