Bad Song by an Otherwise Good Band

truth on hold

"Star Rider" by Foreigner is complete crap ... it's Spinal Tap meets Ronnie James Dio with the mythical UFO theme. And it's totally out of place with the rest of their music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQs4iR9GQjE&feature=related

Not saying Foreigner is the best band ever, but they were pretty solid ... if one of their other songs like Hot Blooded, Feels Like the First Time or Head Games (my personal favorite) comes on the radio I'll keep it on. Unlike "Star Rider" which gets the instant tap on the "seek" button.

"Babe" by Styx is another one comes to mind. Lead singer Dennis Deyoung wrote this bubble gum love song for his wife. Tommy Shaw and the other band members hated it, so much so they kicked Deyoung out of the band he had been leader sing and wrote most of the material. You can tell by watching this live performance how the other band members wish they were somewhere else.

I don't know how many of you know the WNY connection to Foreigner. Lou Gramm played in a Rocherster based band called Black Sheep when he was Lou Gammatico. I have one of their albums someplace.

Yep. graduated from the same high school as my mom two years before. She also had homeroom with Kenneth Bianchi :ph34r:

Shakedown Street

That was pretty bad from Grateful Dead and totally out of character. Were they trying to cash in on Disco at the time?

I despised that song when it first came out for the very reason Joe states. It was completely out of character for The Dead.

I saw Furthur this past New Years eve and they opened with Shakedown Street. It was pretty funny. Whoo-hoo!!

While I didn't like the tune when it came out, it is aging rather well. Donald Fagen sang it with Levon Helm's band a while back, and now he does it with the Dukes of September. It's actually kind of a fun song, funked-up. Here's a crappy quality video (the audio is actually OK considering):

I hate to say it but those first two examples are bad songs by bad bands.

I'm with you on that.

Edited by The Dean

I hate to say it but those first two examples are bad songs by bad bands. I love exactly two songs between the two bands.

:thumbsup: Couldn't agree more. I think Joe has graduated from Six-packs, to sniffing glue! :rolleyes:

As for me, I will say the song "You Better You Bet" by the Who. I realize, by the time they put this one

out, they were a shell of their Keith Moon glory days. I had been listening to the Who for a few years when this one came out, and was totally addicted to "Who's Next", "Quadrophenia", etc...they hadn't put out an album in a while, and were on their final farewell tour ( :lol::rolleyes: ) when they emerged with the album "Face Dances". This is perhaps the most limp-wristed, weak song anyone of their stature ever recorded...of course, now I am sure the Pete Townshend jokes will start...but, "You Better You Bet" was really, to me, the antithesis of what made the Who great at one time..

Edited by Buftex

:thumbsup: Couldn't agree more. I think Joe has graduated from Six-packs, to sniffing glue! :rolleyes:

As for me, I will say the song "You Better You Bet" by the Who.

How about Squeeze Box?

As for me, I will say the song "You Better You Bet" by the Who. I realize, by the time they put this one

out, they were a shell of their Keith Moon glory days. I had been listening to the Who for a few years when this one came out, and was totally addicted to "Who's Next", "Quadrophenia", etc...they hadn't put out an album in a while, and were on their final farewell tour ( :lol::rolleyes: ) when they emerged with the album "Face Dances". This is perhaps the most limp-wristed, weak song anyone of their stature ever recorded...of course, now I am sure the Pete Townshend jokes will start...but, "You Better You Bet" was really, to me, the antithesis of what made the Who great at one time..

We seem to have the same tastes in a lot of things. But, not when it comes to You Better, You Bet - I LOVE that song! Face Dances had a bunch of mediocre songs on it, but four that I really liked YBTB, Daily Records, Don't Let Go the Coat, and Another Tricky Day.

4 out of 9 in a pretty good batting average for most albums. But, when compared to Who's Next and Quad, which IMHO are 2 of only 4-5 albums ever made that hit 1000, it definitely pales in comparison.

I like the funk in Shakedown St. Especially if its a loooong live recording. I hate the studio version though, so that sorta makes it count. For dead songs, I cannot stand Box of Rain. Don't really have a reason. Just hate it.

I don't like Box of Rain either but I have a reason.....Phil sings it.

I agree that's a terrible song from an otherwise great band. Id seriously question anyone who sings along with that if it comes on the radio.

Im sure I'll catch some grief for this but I've always found it a downer when Zeppelin's "Black Dog" comes on. The guitar line is uninteresting and repetitive and I just cant get into it. Anyone bobbbing their head to this one looks like a dork to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKyzyjfyuPU

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack