Upselling at fast food joints

Most are independently owned... Has to be the owner making them use "suggestive selling." The more they suggest, the more somebody may bite. Not in Jim's case, he says he is never going back. I don't think Subway is too concerned about him because studies probably show that suggestive selling works... Kinda like the how they strategically place things in a supermarket.

Again... That is all it is... Why hate on the employees when they are only following what their boss says... It isn't life or death, there are no moral questions... It is just simply suggestive selling.

I never said I "hate" anyone. I just found it annoying to say "no, just the sandwich" 3 times in a 1 minute transaction. I prefer milk with my meals, by the way, not some sugar water. But of course they don't offer that.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said I "hate" anyone. I just found it annoying to say "no, just the sandwich" 3 times in a 1 minute transaction. I prefer milk with my meals, by the way, not some sugar water. But of course they don't offer that.

Sorry... I wasn't replying to you as "hating"... I used it generally for anyone who will get annoyed with policy out on the company/employees... Again sorry, poor choice of words.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The subways down here have milk.

You should come to San Francisco. Mayor Gavin Newsome has outlawed sugary drinks.

I can sort of relate, although my frustration usually comes from stopping at more traditional fast food joints.

I have basically sworn off fries from these places. Too often they are just nasty...sitting around forever, overcooked, under cooked, etc, etc. So I almost always will just order a sandwich and maybe a drink. Almost every time I will order SPECIFICALLY what I want, and this almost always results in the person acting like I'm committing an unspeakable act by not actually wanting fukkin fries with the meal. Why do I get asked EVERY time if I want "the combo or just the sandwich"? Well, Mr fast food person, what did you hear me actually order just a few seconds ago? Did I say combo? NOOOOOOOO....I said A WHOPPER WITH CHEESE AND A COKE. I could see if they asked, "do you want to add fries to that for just $x.xx more?" That's what a reasonable person might come back with. But almost EVERY one of them will ask if I want "the combo or just the sandwich" :rolleyes:

I can sort of relate, although my frustration usually comes from stopping at more traditional fast food joints.

I have basically sworn off fries from these places. Too often they are just nasty...sitting around forever, overcooked, under cooked, etc, etc. So I almost always will just order a sandwich and maybe a drink. Almost every time I will order SPECIFICALLY what I want, and this almost always results in the person acting like I'm committing an unspeakable act by not actually wanting fukkin fries with the meal. Why do I get asked EVERY time if I want "the combo or just the sandwich"? Well, Mr fast food person, what did you hear me actually order just a few seconds ago? Did I say combo? NOOOOOOOO....I said A WHOPPER WITH CHEESE AND A COKE. I could see if they asked, "do you want to add fries to that for just $x.xx more?" That's what a reasonable person might come back with. But almost EVERY one of them will ask if I want "the combo or just the sandwich" :rolleyes:

My wife and I were visiting my family many years ago. They had only met her a couple of times and we were talking about just that. "Do you want fries with that?" My wife blurts out "no I don't want any !@#$ing fries with that!!" in front of the whole family. :doh: God I love her.

My wife and I were visiting my family many years ago. They had only met her a couple of times and we were talking about just that. "Do you want fries with that?" My wife blurts out "no I don't want any !@#$ing fries with that!!" in front of the whole family. :doh: God I love her.

:lol: Amen...screw the fries!!

I own a few restaurant franchises and I can tell you that upselling is key, but it's a matter of how you do it. One thing I make sure our employees do is ask, but don't pressure. As I've visited other restaurants and retail businesses, I notice many associates try to pressure sell and I think that may be where the original poster is coming from. Asking once is okay, but 3 times is a bit obnoxious.

Because a whopper with cheese and a coke is a complex order. It is so much easier to hit the #2 combo key on the cash register.

That is why I never say no pickles. That almost guarantees I will get a hamburger full of pickles and no meat.

Because a whopper with cheese and a coke is a complex order. It is so much easier to hit the #2 combo key on the cash register.

That is why I never say no pickles. That almost guarantees I will get a hamburger full of pickles and no meat.

:lol: Good point, I hadn't thought about the "button factor" lol

I sometimes can hear the person in front me ordering, and when I hear "please make sure there is no _____, and I'd also like extra ____ and with _____ on the side", I'm thinking, "yeah, good luck with THAT"

Sometimes I feel bad when I see a middle-aged, seeming intelligent adult working at a fast food drive thru. Other times, I'm thinking, "wow, this dude will be a lifer"

Sometimes I feel bad when I see a middle-aged, seeming intelligent adult working at a fast food drive thru. Other times, I'm thinking, "wow, this dude will be a lifer"

I work with a guy when people asks him what he does for a living he tells them "I help prevent people from spending their golden years in the golden arches. Either because they have to work there or that's the only place they can afford to eat."

This frustrates me as well. It's almost like someone's got a gun to their head making them ask this question.

Maybe they should make a "no fries" button. :lol:

I work with a guy when people asks him what he does for a living he tells them "I help prevent people from spending their golden years in the golden arches. Either because they have to work there or that's the only place they can afford to eat."

Speaking of the golden arches, the more I learn about their food, the more I want to vomit. After Jack posted that article about their chicken "nuggets", I have been sick to my stomach. Lord only knows what they put in the rest of their crap.

This coming from someone who lives in Syracuse <_< Got the old snow blower tuned up yet? :P

Got an apartment now, someone else can deal with the snow.

I had one McDs near where I used to live that would always screw up my order, usually giving me regular Coke instead of Diet Coke.

Come to Chicago.. Most of the local gyro places will just give you the fries... Or if you hit one of the Maxwell Street Polish sausage stands... Yep... Fries are gratis.

You will pull your hair out when you order one Polish and one hot dog... The two order of fries will magically be in there! If you don't want to eat them... You pitch them.

:nana:

They ask you to make sure you weren't actually ordering the meal. You could easily be referring to the Whopper meal when you say, "Whopper with cheese and a Coke." Besides, would you rather they took what you said literally and gave you a Whopper with cheese and some Coke on top? That's what *I'd* do if you gave me attitude about confirming your order. :devil:

Same here. Home Depot/Lowes employees always ask How are you doing? Not to well. You got ten minutes so we can talk? Never heard yes.

I met a greeter/receipt checker at Sam's Club a few years ago (in Illinois)... I came in with my Bills jacket on... And he proceeded to say how he used to live in Detroit back in the late 1960's and 1970's... He worked for Ralph Wilson's construction company... Ralph would fly them in to see OJ play at Rich a bunch of times a year.

They ask you to make sure you weren't actually ordering the meal. You could easily be referring to the Whopper meal when you say, "Whopper with cheese and a Coke." Besides, would you rather they took what you said literally and gave you a Whopper with cheese and some Coke on top? That's what *I'd* do if you gave me attitude about confirming your order. :devil:

:lol: :lol:

That is why I love the lock and dam business... Even in the most drunken state, nobody gives me an attitude or we all spend some nice "quality time together." And believe me, you don't want to spend "quality time" with me... It will usually leads to a DUI. :D

Speaking of the golden arches, the more I learn about their food, the more I want to vomit. After Jack posted that article about their chicken "nuggets", I have been sick to my stomach. Lord only knows what they put in the rest of their crap.

There are plenty of good books out there that explain from start to finish (cow to plate) what goes into the crap they serve at those places. Read them and you'll pretty much be purged of the desire to ever visit one again.

There are plenty of good books out there that explain from start to finish (cow to plate) what goes into the crap they serve at those places. Read them and you'll pretty much be purged of the desire to ever visit one again.

There's also the documentary "Supersize me." Have you seen it?

:lol: That would be one soggy burger!