85% of college grads must move back home

Guest FUKK THE BILLS

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Stubbornly high unemployment -- nearly 15% for those ages 20-24"

Am I the only one that can't figure out why unemployment is 15% for ages 20-24, yet 85% of college grads move back home....?

Shouldn't that number be closer to 15%....?

:lol:

I was going to say something similar, but I kept thinking maybe I was missing something in the article since I was at work when I read it lol....but yeah, I'm with you lol

"Stubbornly high unemployment -- nearly 15% for those ages 20-24"

Am I the only one that can't figure out why unemployment is 15% for ages 20-24, yet 85% of college grads move back home....?

Shouldn't that number be closer to 15%....?

That other 70% is working... They just can't afford (or don't have the balls to) to move out because they are most likely in low-end-paying jobs. They probably can't afford to live on their own (or again, don't have the balls to live in a piss poor part of town). Even back in the day when I moved from home after school and headed to the Mid-West... It was real hard living on 7 bucks an hour and finding acceptable rent while paying just basic stuff like car payment and utilities. I do not know how I did it, actually I do... I traveled 5 days a week (sometimes staying over the weekend if a site was over 3 hours away) and received per diem and milelage... I lived on that while not using the full food allotment (and above fuel mileage alone) that was given. This was pre-internet and cell phone bill days. I did nothing but travel, work, eat and sleep.

Nowadays, mix in so many other stupid choices people make with bills... Like how internet and cell-phone is a must... I couldn't even afford a home phone for two-years.

I do admit, grads are spoiled nowadays. I got my foot in the door... I was lucky to move up drastically in pay... Was in a good company that had earning potential... But it was a struggle.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That other 70% is working... They just can't afford (or don't have the balls to) to move out because they are most likely in low-end-paying jobs. They probably can't afford to live on their own (or again, don't have the balls to live in a piss poor part of town). Even back in the day when I moved from home after school and headed to the Mid-West... It was real hard living on 7 bucks an hour and finding acceptable rent while paying just basic stuff like car payment and utilities. I do not know how I did it, actually I do... I traveled 5 days a week (sometimes staying over the weekend if a site was over 3 hours away) and received per diem and milelage... I lived on that while not using the full food allotment (and above fuel mileage alone) that was given. This was pre-internet and cell phone bill days. I did nothing but travel, work, eat and sleep.

Nowadays, mix in so many other stupid choices people make with bills... Like how internet and cell-phone is a must... I couldn't even afford a home phone for two-years.

I do admit, grads are spoiled nowadays. I got my foot in the door... I was lucky to move up drastically in pay... Was in a good company that had earning potential... But it was a struggle.

I earned $8/hr while in college and lived on it. I ate a lot of noodles, but I lived on it.

But you're definitely right about the cell phone -- it's considered an "essential" expense nowadays which is ridiculous. If my company didn't provide the phone/service, I'd have a basic pre-paid phone for emergencies only...

And I agree with the spoiled part. Kids don't want to live on their own when they can leech off of mom and dad. My sister's in her mid-20s, still going to school, and still living at home. She works full-time, should COULD afford her own place if she wanted to. When I push her on it, she says, "Why? I'm always at school or work anyway." She then blows her money on stupid crap instead of saving it up and paying down bills. Drives me crazy. :wallbash:

Is it wrong to think that if I'm a parent, I'm kicking my kids out when they're 18?

I earned $8/hr while in college and lived on it. I ate a lot of noodles, but I lived on it.

But you're definitely right about the cell phone -- it's considered an "essential" expense nowadays which is ridiculous. If my company didn't provide the phone/service, I'd have a basic pre-paid phone for emergencies only...

And I agree with the spoiled part. Kids don't want to live on their own when they can leech off of mom and dad. My sister's in her mid-20s, still going to school, and still living at home. She works full-time, should COULD afford her own place if she wanted to. When I push her on it, she says, "Why? I'm always at school or work anyway." She then blows her money on stupid crap instead of saving it up and paying down bills. Drives me crazy. :wallbash:

Is it wrong to think that if I'm a parent, I'm kicking my kids out when they're 18?

Ditto.

I am not sure about the "wrong" part... I just pray that they "get it" and decide to leave. :D I was the third born... So I got to see all my siblings goof ups... My parent's when I think about it cut me a ton of slack... There is times I never came home... YET, I always told them where I would be. Hard to believe, I was the sensible one! Then again, there were a ton of "close calls"... I guess I am just lucky.

Don't bother trying to explain it to them.

PTR

PTR.. I see his side of the argument too. There is too much choice now. Choice is more times than not a bad thing... People will no doubt usually make the WRONG choice. I take a lot of people (especially on these boards) really get off on that chaos. The thing is to be able to sympathize with the plight... And try to understand... That is all I ask.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Awe, you wouldn't do that to poor Buzzy?? :unsure:;)