85% of college grads must move back home

Guest FUKK THE BILLS

survival is almost guaranteed by the government. hungry? need shelter? don't want to drop a hundy K for a college education? food, a roof, college are human rights in certain parts of the world. sure, there's less people banking milli's and even six figures but there's also a lot less starvation, homelessness, sickness and crimes out of economic necessity. ask recent college grads which system they prefer. france's will win, easily.

While you are correct in pointing out the increase in the wealth gap, the government is not the answer to yours, or anyone else's is a problem.

Example:

Single woman, poor, on public assistance. Has several children born poor, on public assitance, who in turn create more children, etc.

Edited by ACor58

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/14/pf/boomerang_kids_move_home/

maybe they should move to france where they will actually have a shot at a decent life. what a failure this system is.

not sure if i'd be using france as the shining star...but i think wealth concentration is destroying the middle class in the us at an alarming rate and i also see that as a failure of the system. some of the blame lies with our graduates and education system, however. american students, on average, fare poorly in many objective academic measures when compared to international competition which is detrimental to the grads and the nation in this global economy.

Recent college grads -- like you -- are generally morons who think the world owes them a free, easy life without any hard work.

This. I split my sides when I hear the lazy-ass business students (a degree I could complete in a !@#$ing year) say that as soon as they graduate (many of them with <3.0 GPA) they're going to get job offers from big corporations and get paid $80k a year straight out of school.

Checked in on a couple of my business degree friends who graduated last May. Guess where each one of them is living. I'll give you a hint: the answer is not "a penthouse apartment in New York."

Sure continue. But continue with your explananation of the lack of opportunities and what is this "American Dream" and why is it dead and why France would be a better place to live.

lol, seriously. I'm 25 years old, and would be considered a "recent college grad" (less than 3 years ago). I've got a great job, earning well over the median salary in the US, in a company that's growing like crazy, a company that that I love (and is always listed on the top places to work lists), and a ton of personal growth opportunity within the company.

Not really sure where the problem is, or why I'm against this economic system. Those are news to me.

Edited by BlueFire

lol, seriously. I'm 25 years old, and would be considered a "recent college grad" (less than 3 years ago). I've got a great job, earning well over the median salary in the US, in a company that's growing like crazy, a company that that I love (and is always listed on the top places to work lists), and a ton of personal growth opportunity within the company.

Not really sure where the problem is, or why I'm against this economic system. Those are news to me.

Just wait until you've put 15 years in and the corporate world has broken your will. just wait. Whippersnapper. :P

maybe they should move to france where they will actually have a shot at a decent life.

I sense another "I'm a horrible human being" thread in the works.

that's the thing, for every 15 of us there's 85 others who are living with mommy and daddy, buried in debt and little hope.

survival is almost guaranteed by the government. hungry? need shelter? don't want to drop a hundy K for a college education? food, a roof, college are human rights in certain parts of the world. sure, there's less people banking milli's and even six figures but there's also a lot less starvation, homelessness, sickness and crimes out of economic necessity. ask recent college grads which system they prefer. france's will win, easily.

College is a human right? :w00t:

Then here's what I recommend every recent college grad do. Buy a backpack and go enjoy the French system. Seeeeeya!

So, 25 year olds can be capitalistic pigs too ya know.

Checked in on a couple of my business degree friends who graduated last May. Guess where each one of them is living. I'll give you a hint: the answer is not "a penthouse apartment in New York."

What?!?! You mean I have to figure out how to live on a low starting salary?? If I want to move out of mom's basement I have to live in a crappy little apartment with 2 roommates, drink sh---y dollar-draft beer to get drunk and not get to see my favorite show because I can't afford HBO??? Oh, the injustice!!!

Newsflash for the whiners: working your way up IS the American Dream. Try reading up on the humble beginnings of almost every major success story; the vast majority of multi-millionaires are self-made.

What?!?! You mean I have to figure out how to live on a low starting salary?? If I want to move out of mom's basement I have to live in a crappy little apartment with 2 roommates, drink sh---y dollar-draft beer to get drunk and not get to see my favorite show because I can't afford HBO??? Oh, the injustice!!!

Newsflash for the whiners: working your way up IS the American Dream. Try reading up on the humble beginnings of almost every major success story; the vast majority of multi-millionaires are self-made.

you must be referring to those like ralph wilson who inherited his father's businesses

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/14/pf/boomerang_kids_move_home/

maybe they should move to france where they will actually have a shot at a decent life. what a failure this system is.

This is without a doubt the stupidest, most ill conceived, ignorant, dumb ass thread I have ever opened here. Even Conner would be hard pressed to top it.

Poor baby has a degree in press relations and can't find a job? Yes she should move to France. Most likely they have a large number of government positions whose sole duty is to offer public apologizes.

Mallory Jaroski, 22 graduated from Penn State University in May but has been living at home with her mother while looking for a job in press relations

A - I'd hit it

B - Might have a few more job prospects with a skillset other than Press Relations

Depending on how you break it down 6 or 7 of the "hot jobs listed in the "hot occupations" link in the article are heavily math or science based. Yet, kids seem to want to shy away from these disciplines in college. It is nearly impossible for a person with a press relations degree to go into one of these occupations. However, I bet you that a kid with a solid math degree, temperment, personality and interest could do press relations. Point is college is a time to broaden your capabilities so focus on degress that can do so.

you must be referring to those like ralph wilson who inherited his father's businesses

Knowing that bitter, little trolls like you are consumed with resentment at people for being successful really does warm my heart. Suck on it, loser.

the vast majority of multi-millionaires are self-made.

have any references to support that contention? most that i've met/know come from priviledged backgrounds...best schools, best contacts, inheritance,trust funds, family businesses etc... no denying that there are self made multimillionaires, i'm just not sure they are the majority, much less the vast majority.

Edited by birdog1960

Knowing that bitter, little trolls like you are consumed with resentment at people for being successful really does warm my heart. Suck on it, loser.

mods, run the IP check. i am no troll. and you overlooked oney key piece, kd. you assume i am a failure. i probably give more to charity in a year than you make in a year.

have any references to support that contention? most that i've met/know come from priviledged backgrounds...best schools, best contacts, inheritance,trust funds, family businesses etc... no denying that there are self made multimillionaires, i'm just not sure they are the majority, much less the vast majority.

at least one other person in this thread subscribes to "reality"

Just wait until you've put 15 years in and the corporate world has broken your will. just wait. Whippersnapper. :P

Haha, idk. I can't imagine my spirit at this company being broken. Even the people who have been here 10-11 years still love it (and that's how long the company's been around). Plus, as long as our stock price keeps going up, I'll love it. ;)

Of course, I have to imagine working for a large IT/Internet company is way different in corporate culture from most industries.

that's the thing, for every 15 of us there's 85 others who are living with mommy and daddy, buried in debt and little hope.

Not sure I agree with that. Out of all my college friends and acquaintances, there's only one person who has the potential to have that happen to them, and even that's not a guarantee. Everyone I knew that graduated from UT is doing just fine.

Try not majoring in Parks and Recreation management.

Yeah, don't these people watch TV? Who would want to work with people like Amy Poehler?

Word. This is the best part about being just out of college. No real responsibility. No real bills to pay. Party time!

mods, run the IP check. i am no troll. and you overlooked oney key piece, kd. you assume i am a failure. i probably give more to charity in a year than you make in a year.

So to what do you attribute your financial success Mr. Moneybags?

I'll let you do your own research since people generally don't trust what is provided to them, but here's one study on 'millionaires' (obviously definitions can vary):

http://www.nytimes.c...illionaire.html

* Most of us have never felt at a disadvantage because we did not receive any inheritance. About 80 percent of us are first-generation affluent.

I think your characterizations above of 'privilege' are mostly cliché and not reflective of reality beyond the tiny segment that tends to be highly publicized by our 'rich and famous' obsessed culture.

Word. This is the best part about being just out of college. No real responsibility. No real bills to pay. Party time!

Right? The dump I lived in after college didn't even have heat, we had to use plug in space heaters all winter. But we sure had fun.

These idiots that equate immediate financial security with happiness and success usually don't have much of either.

Edited by KD in CT