85% of college grads must move back home

Guest FUKK THE BILLS

that's the thing, for every 15 of us there's 85 others who are living with mommy and daddy, buried in debt and little hope.

bull ****. Go out and get a !@#$ing job. If you have to take a job beneath what you think you should be (Newsflash: you aren't as smart or great as mommy and daddy told you), tough ****. Go work, earn a living and make your way on your own.

You think i want to be working in a gubmint lab after getting my PhD? No. But i have to start somewhere. And i'm not about to cry and B word because it isn't exactly what i want. But its a job, its experience, and a step in the direction i want to be going.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bull ****. Go out and get a !@#$ing job. If you have to take a job beneath what you think you should be (Newsflash: you aren't as smart or great as mommy and daddy told you), tough ****. Go work, earn a living and make your way on your own.

You think i want to be working in a gubmint lab after getting my PhD? No. But i have to start somewhere. And i'm not about to cry and B word because it isn't exactly what i want. But its a job, its experience, and a step in the direction i want to be going.

And when you scrape the mold off the cheese ain't half bad.

I'll let you do your own research since people generally don't trust what is provided to them, but here's one study on 'millionaires' (obviously definitions can vary):

http://www.nytimes.c...illionaire.html

I think your characterizations above of 'privilege' are mostly cliché and not reflective of reality beyond the tiny segment that tends to be highly publicized by our 'rich and famous' obsessed culture.

couldn't see the nyt article but check out www.payscale.com that ranks roi for colleges. the lowest cost school in the top 15 with over $1 mil roi is $180000 for a degree. i trust you will concede most attendees would generally be considered from priviledged backgrounds by any definition of "priviledged". from personal experience, college classmates from wealthy backgrounds (about 30% of my class were prep school grads) had a much greater likelihood of achieving top 1% net worth status (and this is the group i think of as "multimillionaires") than those who did not. the womb lottery is alive and well and actually becoming more predictive than ever. to argue otherwise is to be in a state of denial.

Edited by birdog1960

couldn't see the nyt article but check out www.payscale.com that ranks roi for colleges. the lowest cost school in the top 15 with over $1 mil roi is $180000 for a degree. i trust you will concede most attendees would generally be considered from priviledged backrounds by any definition of "priviledged". from personal experience, college classmates from wealthy backgrounds (about 30% of my class were prep school grads) had a much greater likelihood of achieving top 1% net worth status (and this is the group i think of as "multimillionaires") than those who did not. the womb lottery is alive and well and actually becoming more predictive than ever. to argue otherwise is to be in a state of denial.

I spent $12k on an Associates degree in Culinary Arts. I'm now in that 1%. College degrees are over-rated. See even your degree didn't teach you how to type.

Game

Set

Match

Winner = Ramius

I spent $12k on an Associates degree in Culinary Arts. I'm now in that 1%. College degrees are over-rated. See even your degree didn't teach you how to type.

there are always "outliers", that's how the myth propagates. btw, there's a great book by that name that addresses the issue of circumstance vs hard work/talent. great reading.

Agreed. I don't have a college degree, and I do just fine on hard work and experience.

Also, my stepfather is a self made millionaire, and he never went to college (not one course). To this day he thinks it's (college) the biggest scam and waste of money out there. Sometimes I have to agree with him.

Try this, first link:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&q=what+percentage+of+millionaires+are+self+made&aq=f&aqi=g1g-o1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=102cd7f3589c676f

the womb lottery is alive and well

AND......?????

Guess what, the 'womb lottery' impacts every single aspect of life. Tall guys can get more chicks. Thin girls with big boobs can get.....well, anything they want. Guys who hit a curveball can earn millions of dollars a year playing a game. Guys with awesome reaction times and G-force tolerances can be astronauts. Really smart people can invent things people never imagined before and get rich and famous as a result. And lazy morons can end up washing dishes. Welcome to planet Earth.

Why do people like you try to pretend that there is some huge injustice because someone's parents decided to sacrifice so they could pay for their child to attend college? 'Privilege' comes in a hundred different ways and it's doesn't mean squat compared to having the will and self motivation to take advantage of whatever opportunities you have been given.

Bottom line is, anyone who has to attribute their own failings to the fact that someone else took advantage of their opportunities is a loser.

there are always "outliers", that's how the myth propagates. btw, there's a great book by that name that addresses the issue of circumstance vs hard work/talent. great reading.

Funny, you don't seem to have any issue with relying on outliers when you are characterizing anyone with a college degree as someone with a big inheritance or trust fund. :rolleyes:

Press relations. Communications. Poly Sci. English.

Next resume.

I bet they would be stars at correcting grammar and spelling on a Bills forum though[not at all directed at you, but some others on here].

I never went to collage but I have two skills: I can fly a plane: I can fix cars. I have never been out of work and I can live where I please. No chance of me having to move to a God forsaken place like Texas to find work in "my Field".

I am happy with our "broken system".

Yeah, but how much money did you waste on coke and booze applying that culinary arts degree!

:nana: :nana:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I bet they would be stars at correcting grammar and spelling on a Bills forum though[not at all directed at you, but some others on here].

I never went to collage but I have two skills: I can fly a plane: I can fix cars. I have never been out of work and I can live where I please. No chance of me having to move to a God forsaken place like Texas to find work in "my Field".

I am happy with our "broken system".

I love your post for "collage" and that you're in Anchorage calling Texas a god forsaken place.

On to the actual point though: I agree 100% with the premise both by you and Chef Jim that you can succeed with skills you don't learn in college. I'd rather have 100 mechanics than 100 communications majors. And 100 carpenters than 100 poly sci majors.

I am a firm believer in college education, but students need to pick their majors wisely. It's not easy to make a long-term career influencing decision at 18, and even harder to pick a major that will require more work than the soft English major, but that's what most students need to do at 18. And those that pick the soft majors will not have an easy route through jobland. Look, I love English. I read classic literature all the time. But I can absorb that on my own, outside the walls of a 50K/year university. If you're going to college, it's a means to an end: The end is most likely a job and possibly a career. Pick a major that gets you there. Or if you want to study 20th century American literature because it's a passion, study it once you have your career....because there are no 20th century Am lit careers.

(That's not me putting down liberal arts...they are a trove of wonder but they don't qualify you for much in a job hunt.)

Colleges aren't failing kids when it comes to finding jobs. Kids and maybe parents who pay but don't force their kids to practical majors are failing kids.

I love your post for "collage" and that you're in Anchorage calling Texas a god forsaken place.

On to the actual point though: I agree 100% with the premise both by you and Chef Jim that you can succeed with skills you don't learn in college. I'd rather have 100 mechanics than 100 communications majors. And 100 carpenters than 100 poly sci majors.

I am a firm believer in college education, but students need to pick their majors wisely. It's not easy to make a long-term career influencing decision at 18, and even harder to pick a major that will require more work than the soft English major, but that's what most students need to do at 18. And those that pick the soft majors will not have an easy route through jobland. Look, I love English. I read classic literature all the time. But I can absorb that on my own, outside the walls of a 50K/year university. If you're going to college, it's a means to an end: The end is most likely a job and possibly a career. Pick a major that gets you there. Or if you want to study 20th century American literature because it's a passion, study it once you have your career....because there are no 20th century Am lit careers.

(That's not me putting down liberal arts...they are a trove of wonder but they don't qualify you for much in a job hunt.)

Colleges aren't failing kids when it comes to finding jobs. Kids and maybe parents who pay but don't force their kids to practical majors are failing kids.

correct me if i am wrong but didn't every single american president and possibly all members of congress study liberal arts as an undergrad?

outside the walls of a 50K/year university.

And here's the big problem -- NOBODY has to pay $50k/year for tuition. NOBODY.

For $50k, you can get the entire BA/BS from the University of MInnesota. I venture to guess the same is true for most/all state schools.

Interesting to see all the comments about Liberal Arts educations. Personally, I have a Political Science degree. Most of the people that I work with range from pretty technical to some of the best technical engineers out there. We do things with our systems that literally break protocols and linux kernels because we throw so much data at it. Most of these guys don't have a degree in something technical, but almost all of them do have a degree in something.

I think a large part of the value in college is that you have the opportunity to go learn about tons of different things. I use the experience and knowledge I got from various classes and jobs working for the University a lot. The reason why I was prepared to go into a technical role coming out of college is because I had taken technical classes on the side and worked in a technical role for the University. I've moved into a role that isn't as technical, but is more challenging, and I'm using a lot of skills I picked up in Liberal Arts classes.

The other big value from college is it continues to develop your critical thinking skills. In many roles, the skills that set people apart are critical thinking & problem solving. People with well defined skills in those areas tend to succeed. People who aren't very good in those two things tend to be stuck in jobs with skills that fit them, but with limited growth potential.