"Yeah, but who have you played" stuff is garbage

Dan Gross

11 About 1/3 of NFL teams, spread across 7 divisions, 7 in the AFC, 4 in the NFC. That tends to happen when you have 3 11-1 teams and 4 9-3 teams. For them to get that many wins, lots of other teams have to lose.

I thought about it as I was seeing how NE and Buff have done against "winning" teams, and looking up how Philly, Pitt and Indy have done against "winning" teams, and it is actually predictable among the top teams: when two "winning" teams face each other, whoever is at home wins. Then I'm looking at the power rankings, and realize, as the Bills are ranked around 12th, that no one behind them has a higher record....

So chances are you will have 2-4 games (out of 6) against teams in your division with a winning record, 0-2 games (out of 4) in each of your "full AFC and NFC other conference" games, plus 0-2 in the "other division, same seed" category. For the Bills, as the standings are now, it's 4(AFCE)+ 2 (AFCN)+ 0 (NFCW)+ 0 (SEED)=6, for the Pats, they would lose two "winning team" games because they are one of the winning teams, so it's 2(AFCE) + 2 (AFCN) + 0 (NFCW) + 1 (SEED) = 5.

I doubt anyone, based on all this, is faced with more than 6 games against winning teams on their schedule, based on the current records.....so every team that's "looking good" is doing so because of a "soft record."

11 About 1/3 of NFL teams, spread across 7 divisions, 7 in the AFC, 4 in the NFC.  That tends to happen when you have 3 11-1 teams and 4 9-3 teams.  For them to get that many wins, lots of other teams have to lose. 

I thought about it as I was seeing how NE and Buff have done against "winning" teams, and looking up how Philly, Pitt and Indy have done against "winning" teams, and it is actually predictable among the top teams: when two "winning" teams face each other, whoever is at home wins.  Then I'm looking at the power rankings, and realize, as the Bills are ranked around 12th, that no one behind them has a higher record....

So chances are you will have 2-4 games (out of 6) against teams in your division with a winning record, 0-2 games (out of 4) in each of your "full AFC and NFC other conference" games, plus 0-2 in the "other division, same seed" category.  For the Bills, as the standings are now, it's 4(AFCE)+ 2 (AFCN)+ 0 (NFCW)+ 0 (SEED)=6, for the Pats, they would lose two "winning team" games because they are one of the winning teams, so it's 2(AFCE) + 2 (AFCN) + 0 (NFCW) + 1 (SEED) = 5.

I doubt anyone, based on all this, is faced with more than 6 games against winning teams on their schedule, based on the current records.....so every team that's "looking good" is doing so because of a "soft record."

151060[/snapback]

OK, but then if all you beat is the 4 teams and lose to the 2 teams, well, then what. Duh

11 About 1/3 of NFL teams, spread across 7 divisions, 7 in the AFC, 4 in the NFC.  That tends to happen when you have 3 11-1 teams and 4 9-3 teams.  For them to get that many wins, lots of other teams have to lose. 

I thought about it as I was seeing how NE and Buff have done against "winning" teams, and looking up how Philly, Pitt and Indy have done against "winning" teams, and it is actually predictable among the top teams: when two "winning" teams face each other, whoever is at home wins.  Then I'm looking at the power rankings, and realize, as the Bills are ranked around 12th, that no one behind them has a higher record....

So chances are you will have 2-4 games (out of 6) against teams in your division with a winning record, 0-2 games (out of 4) in each of your "full AFC and NFC other conference" games, plus 0-2 in the "other division, same seed" category.  For the Bills, as the standings are now, it's 4(AFCE)+ 2 (AFCN)+ 0 (NFCW)+ 0 (SEED)=6, for the Pats, they would lose two "winning team" games because they are one of the winning teams, so it's 2(AFCE) + 2 (AFCN) + 0 (NFCW) + 1 (SEED) = 5.

151060[/snapback]

Good analysis.