Lost Michelangelo painting found in Buffalo

Just Jack

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/the-other-side/new-york-family-discovers-lost-michelangelo-painting/story-e6frfhk6-1225937101407

"I had assumed it was going to be a copy," Mr Forcellino said. He visited Lt Col Kober's home outside Buffalo to view the painting, and the trip left him a bit breathless.

"In reality, this painting was even more beautiful than the versions hanging in Rome and Florence. The truth was this painting was much better than the ones they had. I had visions of telling them that there was this crazy guy in America telling everyone he had a Michelangelo at home," Mr Forcellino said.

A scientific analysis of the painting proved that the Michelangelo claim was not so crazy.

The painting already been whisked out of the family's modest suburban home and put in a safe, with a possible price tag of $300million ($303million).

Now how the hell did Michelangelo lose a painting in Buffalo?

Somebody didn't do their reading assignment:

"It was later passed on to two Catholic cardinals, and eventually ended up in the hands of a German baroness named Villani.The work ended up in the Kober family after Villani willed it to her lady-in-waiting Gertrude Young."

"Young was the sister-in-law of Kober’s great-grandfather and she sent the work to America in 1883, according to an account by Kober."

:P

• 1 year later...

UPDATE : Painting bears marks of a master, expert says

January 11, 2012, 3:17 PM

ROME -- The clues are in the under layers. The color preparation. The sophisticated palette. The tiny brush strokes and minute changes in detail. Those are the telltale signs, according to one of Italy's most esteemed art conservators, that a painting depicting a fallen Jesus in Mary's arms and flanked by two angels -- stashed under a couch for 25 years outside Rochester and now owned by a City of Tonawanda man -- might be a genuine Michelangelo.

ROME -- The clues are in the under layers. The color preparation. The sophisticated palette. The tiny brush strokes and minute changes in detail. Those are the telltale signs, according to one of Italy's most esteemed art conservators, that a painting depicting a fallen Jesus in Mary's arms and flanked by two angels -- stashed under a couch for 25 years outside Rochester and now owned by a City of Tonawanda man -- might be a genuine Michelangelo.

!@#$ing eh....that is cool.

Being the anti-hoarder I probably would have thrown it out years ago. Wow.... What an unreal find.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/the-other-side/new-york-family-discovers-lost-michelangelo-painting/story-e6frfhk6-1225937101407

"I had assumed it was going to be a copy," Mr Forcellino said. He visited Lt Col Kober's home outside Buffalo to view the painting, and the trip left him a bit breathless.

"In reality, this painting was even more beautiful than the versions hanging in Rome and Florence. The truth was this painting was much better than the ones they had. I had visions of telling them that there was this crazy guy in America telling everyone he had a Michelangelo at home," Mr Forcellino said.

A scientific analysis of the painting proved that the Michelangelo claim was not so crazy.

The painting already been whisked out of the family's modest suburban home and put in a safe, with a possible price tag of $300million ($303million).

Look closely at the picture. Definitely photoshopped.

Now how the hell did Michelangelo lose a painting in Buffalo?

Cruised Chippawa, tried to pick up chicks with "my way cool painting," drank way too many Genny's, got drunk on his ass, crashed on somebody's couch, put the painting underneath for safe keeping,...and now you know the rest of the story!