Nobody's Considered

Revis: Now Pats* have no vertical game

The Pats* receiving corps isn't exactly 5 players deep. They've had great production from their young tight ends, and of course from W.Welker, but once you take Moss out of the equation, the whole offense takes a step back.

I know this is a blame-Buffalo-first crowd, but try to look at this through the eyes of a team who actually wants to compete for the last twelve games of the season. Sure, they're losing Moss at season's end, but they just cut ties with the second best receiver of all-time, and there's A LOT of season left to play.

Try and unlock yourself from the Pats* can do no wrong, Bills can do no right mentality, and look at this critically. Their offense definitely just took a huge step back.

Edited by The Big Cat

The Pats* receiving corps isn't exactly 5 players deep. They've had great production from their young tight ends, and of course from W.Welker, but once you take Moss out of the equation, the whole offense takes a step back.

I know this is a blame-Buffalo-first crowd, but try to look at this through the eyes of a team who actually wants to compete for the last twelve games of the season. Sure, they're losing Moss at season's end, but they just cut ties with the second best receiver of all-time, and there's A LOT of season left to play.

Try and unlock yourself from the Pats* can do no wrong, Bills can do no right mentality, and look at this critically. Their offense definitely just took a huge step back.

There is some speculation that the Pets* are going for Vincent. If they do I don't see how that makes them a better team. They would be trading one very talented headache for one talented headache. From what I hear in articles I've read, VJ's contract demands are so absurd SD can't find a trading partner for him. If the Pets* get him then they'll probably have to give up that third rounder they got for Moss. I think Belichick's ego makes him believe he can win with anyone.

Of course they're not as good. However, lack of a vertical threat didn't seem to hurt them back when they won 3 Super Bowls with an average WR height of around 5-11.

Seriously though...they put in mid-range to low-end players and get All Pro performances out of most of them and we can't even get our high draft picks and "franchise players" to any sort of level of respectability. THAT's the main difference.

There is some speculation that the Pets* are going for Vincent. If they do I don't see how that makes them a better team. They would be trading one very talented headache for one talented headache. From what I hear in articles I've read, VJ's contract demands are so absurd SD can't find a trading partner for him. If the Pets* get him then they'll probably have to give up that third rounder they got for Moss. I think Belichick's ego makes him believe he can win with anyone.

I can't see the Patsies paying Jackson. But, there is at least one big difference between the two: Randy Moss is 33 years old and Vincent Jackson is only 27. The Patriots are always looking to the future and that 6 year gap is a pretty big one. Plus, I think Moss was a much bigger question mark at the time New England traded for him than Jackson is now, and another team's headache is always more palatable than your own.

Fully agree. The Pats basically punted the rest of the year. Doesn't mean I like the Lynch trade any more, but this was a bad move for the Patriots, if you ask me. And they caused their own problems by making it clear to Moss that he wouldn't be around next year. Sure, they're loaded in next year's draft, but they had a shot at the Super Bowl *this* year. They should be trading those picks they've stockpiled for players who can help them now, not the other way around.

I can't see the Patsies paying Jackson. But, there is at least one big difference between the two: Randy Moss is 33 years old and Vincent Jackson is only 27. The Patriots are always looking to the future and that 6 year gap is a pretty big one. Plus, I think Moss was a much bigger question mark at the time New England traded for him than Jackson is now, and another team's headache is always more palatable than your own.

IMO, VJ will never be more than an average receiver on any other team.

Fully agree. The Pats basically punted the rest of the year. Doesn't mean I like the Lynch trade any more, but this was a bad move for the Patriots, if you ask me. And they caused their own problems by making it clear to Moss that he wouldn't be around next year. Sure, they're loaded in next year's draft, but they had a shot at the Super Bowl *this* year. They should be trading those picks they've stockpiled for players who can help them now, not the other way around.

Stockpiling picks is a paper tiger.

Just ask Josh McDaniel's who won the "Cute Award" after the 2010 Draft.

The draft if a crap-shoot, I know it's the way to "build a team," but lately the Pats* have had lackluster drafts, so more picks don't automatically ensure good picks. And certainly nobody they pick up next year (in ANY round) will step right into Randy's size 35's.

Edited by The Big Cat

Stockpiling picks is a paper tiger.

Just ask Josh McDaniel's who won the "Cute Award" after the 2010 Draft.

The draft if a crap-shoot, I know it's the way to "build a team," but lately the Pats* have had lackluster drafts, so more picks don't automatically ensure good picks. And certainly nobody they pick up next year (in ANY round) will step right into Randy's size 35's.

IIRC, except for QBs, the 2011 draft is pretty weak.

Of course they're not as good. However, lack of a vertical threat didn't seem to hurt them back when they won 3 Super Bowls with an average WR height of around 5-11.

of course the defense they had back then was head and shoulders better than the one they have now.

The Pats basically decided to concede this years AFC East championship to the NY Jets. They need to run the ball more to keep their youthful defence off the field. Means fewer chances for their receivers, including Moss. This in turn sets the stage for an unhappy and lockerroom disruptive Randy, because he needs touches to secure that last megadeal he wants from somebody else at years' end (Pats have already told him they are not in the running). BB probably never really liked the guy very much anyway.

They just rolled the Dolphins and Moss didn't have a catch. Obviously there's an argument, for the attention he commands, but I suspect that they will be just as good without him. Watch how a great organization does it.

He may not have caught any passes, but he is certainly responsible for drawing coverage away from the other targets. One reason Danny Woodhead was so open and the middle of the field was cleared out on his TD catch Monday Night is because both Moss and Welker were double covered. Don Maynard didn't catch a pass in Super Bowl III but his ability to draw deep coverage is as big a reason the Jets won that game as anything else.

Having said that, I'm sure the Pats can find a way to win without Moss. But his contribution was not insignificant.

LMAO. You've gotta be kidding right? Except for the fact that the Patriots have a 10 year track record of making things work out and having a plan. They also almost always trade guys still talented to acquire picks and then kill it in the draft.

Even though this seems wierd to all of us, there is absolutely no room, at this juncture, to question the Pats. They have an incredibly successful organization. ANd they usually have a plan.

Why does it kill some of you to just admit that we suck? It's not an indictment on us fans. We suck. Top to bottom. Deal with it. The Pats are the Pats. Until one of these things blows up in their face, I think it's safe to say they get a pass, or two, or three.

Edited by Lv-Bills

LMAO. You've gotta be kidding right? Except for the fact that the Patriots have a 10 year track record of making things work out and having a plan. They also almost always trade guys still talented to acquire picks and then kill it in the draft.

Even though this seems wierd to all of us, there is absolutely no room, at this juncture, to question the Pats. They have an incredibly successful organization. ANd they usually have a plan.

Why does it kill some of you to just admit that we suck? It's not an indictment on us fans. We suck. Top to bottom. Deal with it. The Pats are the Pats. Until one of these things blows up in their face, I think it's safe to say they get a pass, or two, or three.

I know there are many examples of them succeeding, but they did trade one of their top picks to Denver, and another pick got cut...by us. I don't think it's as black and white as first glance....although obviously they are better at it than we are. After all, if they weren't better at it, they probably wouldn't beat us and finish better than us so consistently.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Sure they have been spreading the ball around and Moss has only had a few touches a game, but they were able to spread the ball around because Moss commands attention no matter where he is on the field, especially in the vertical game. They do have Tate, but he is still raw and no Randy Moss, at least not yet. From a football stand point, this looks like a terrible move and quite risky.

However, Bruschi was on the TV and reporting that there were a lot of reports out of the locker room that players and coaches were unhappy with Moss and his attitude. There was a feeling it was starting to resemble the Moss that was in Minn that last year. Moss is a happy camper when he is getting paid and getting the ball. But this year, he isnt getting either one. No indication of a contract from NE and not many opportunities for balls on the field to prove they need to pay him.

NE is a team first team, and thats what works for them. If Moss is disrupting that chemistry and is likely to walk anyway, then this was the best time to trade him. His value will only go down from here as he is 33 and if you are going to remove him from your offense its better to do it early in the season so you can find your rhythm by playoff time with the guys you have. And lets face it, this WR unit is still better than any unit they had in either of there 3 SB wins, so they have proven they can win with a unit like they have now.