If the Bills go 1-15 ...

I ask that honestly. Miami went 1-15 in 2007 with a new coach who was best suited to be an OC, and there was a housecleaning right after the season ended. Parcells came in, brought in his guys, and the rest is history.

My starry-eyed hope: Parcells, who clearly likes working for old-time NFLers with shaky recent histories (hello, Leon Hess!!) has a jones for completing a sweep of the AFC East. He has performed rapid turnarounds on a 2-14 NE team, a 1-15 Jets team, and a 1-15 Dolphins team. The Pats made the playoffs in two years, the Jets went 9-7 his first season and went to the AFC championship game the next, and the Dolphins won the division in his first season. Not to mention his record with the Giants (who were horrible in the 1970s) and the Cowboys.

I can dream, can't I?

They will not go after only one year, unless they give up and decide to quit/retire

These are the guys that are here to stay for atleast another 2-3 years.

They never had any plans to succeed this year or do anything but evaluate players on the roster, its a throw away year

You think that Cameron figured he'd get a mulligan for his "throwaway" year? Sorry, a 1-15 record is so far from acceptable I don't know what to say. It indicates that you're basically a bad coach. I can't think of one guy except Jimmy Johnson who ever ended up doing anything after a record like that. If you know of some, fire away.

If the Bills go 1-15....this is absurd, who are we going to beat?

They'll beat someone. Injuries, the weather, special teams ... something will happen that'll allow them to embarrass a superior opponent.

You think that Cameron figured he'd get a mulligan for his "throwaway" year? Sorry, a 1-15 record is so far from acceptable I don't know what to say. It indicates that you're basically a bad coach. I can't think of one guy except Jimmy Johnson who ever ended up doing anything after a record like that. If you know of some, fire away.

They'll beat someone. Injuries, the weather, special teams ... something will happen that'll allow them to embarrass a superior opponent.

Bill Walsh was 2-14 his first year in San Fran. I would think it's fairly common with teams that are essentially starting over. There's basically zero chance Nix fires Gailey though, right? Aren't they on the same page at this point? It's entirely possible Ralph makes an ill advised move out of desperation, though.

Bill Walsh was 2-14 his first year in San Fran. I would think it's fairly common with teams that are essentially starting over. There's basically zero chance Nix fires Gailey though, right? Aren't they on the same page at this point? It's entirely possible Ralph makes an ill advised move out of desperation, though.

Thanks re: Walsh. I agree that probably nothing will happen, but the one qualifier is that the a) Nix is pretty old, and b) Ralph turns 92 in 12 days. Change on that front is going to happen soon enough.

the problem I have with this (and all the other FO failure posts) is that no one knows under what constraints they are operating. They may not have been aggressive this year due to other forces at play, which may or may not be temporary.

So, 1-15 may mean survival if they were told upfront that the unsettled labor issue would mean they would need to cool their heels for a year.

the problem I have with this (and all the other FO failure posts) is that no one knows under what constraints they are operating. They may not have been aggressive this year due to other forces at play, which may or may not be temporary.

So, 1-15 may mean survival if they were told upfront that the unsettled labor issue would mean they would need to cool their heels for a year.

Fair point, for sure, and I was only asking a question. The future is a hard thing to predict, after all, and for all we know they'll go 6-10. It's just they really do look bad, and they don't seem to have much of a plan (either in games or with regard to personnel). FWIW, I do think the labor situation is overblown. I think that there is way too much money to be made for a prolonged lockout to occur.

Edited by dave mcbride

I ask that honestly. Miami went 1-15 in 2007 with a new coach who was best suited to be an OC, and there was a housecleaning right after the season ended. Parcells came in, brought in his guys, and the rest is history.

My starry-eyed hope: Parcells, who clearly likes working for old-time NFLers with shaky recent histories (hello, Leon Hess!!) has a jones for completing a sweep of the AFC East. He has performed rapid turnarounds on a 2-14 NE team, a 1-15 Jets team, and a 1-15 Dolphins team. The Pats made the playoffs in two years, the Jets went 9-7 his first season and went to the AFC championship game the next, and the Dolphins won the division in his first season. Not to mention his record with the Giants (who were horrible in the 1970s) and the Cowboys.

I can dream, can't I?

Maybe if Ralph & his stooges were out of the picture... no way Tuna would possibly want any part of this mess until then.

Thanks re: Walsh. I agree that probably nothing will happen, but the one qualifier is that the a) Nix is pretty old, and b) Ralph turns 92 in 12 days. Change on that front is going to happen soon enough.

It's only speculation but I would hope that the hiring of Doug Whaley as Assistant GM (while his name is always mentioned as a potential GM whenever the topic is brought up) means he is actually part of some kind of succession plan to replace Nix. Buddy cannot possibly stay around for much longer than 2 or 3 seasons and it would be pretty negligent of the organization to not plan for the future--- then again, it's the Bills. When was the last time their front office was handled responsibly?

We don't know what kind of deal Cameron had with the Dolphins. I doubt Ralph told Nix and Gailey they had to improve this team in one offseason, He seems like the kind of guy who doesn't react too quickly and tries to let guys work things out for themselves. I believe he hired Nix and gailey looking towards the future. Nix starts the rebuild and hands the reigns over to Whaley in a couple years while they rebuild cheaply through the draft and low level FA's

That was my first thought after a few posts. I cannot imagine an utter free for all, having players be released from contracts altogether, but I can envision that some players get released out of contracts or there being unforseen ramifications that will come in to play for signing long term deals.

If we cut some now to sign new free agents in the next couple drafts with a rookie cap do we save money? Does that mean OBD will not up the ticket prices? It just seems like the Bills may know something, or nothing at all, about this labor dispute.

Also, my biggest issue is that if we're rebuilding, sorry! If we are "bottoming out" to get Chan's type of players in here and we fail than we could be in serious trouble. Few offenses are at all similar to Chan's pop gun offense.

Maybe if Ralph & his stooges were out of the picture... no way Tuna would possibly want any part of this mess until then.

Nah, I don't think Tuna would even take their phone call. Thing is, I believe RW feels he made the necessary changes last off-season when they hired Nix and Gailey. Even if those guys are home runs (doubtful) we'll never know because they can be undermined by Littman and Overdorf.

I think they've finally reached a breaking point where they can't continue like they have since TD was axed. Either they change the organizational structure and have a strong and qualified leader of football ops or they continue along as a bad to mediocre club with people behind the scenes wielding power. They've run out of quick fixes and cosmetic changes because the fans just won't buy it. That said, I still don't see them changing the structure of the franchise given the owner's age. Everyone knows the team is being set up for sale, not to compete with RW owning.

We don't know what kind of deal Cameron had with the Dolphins. I doubt Ralph told Nix and Gailey they had to improve this team in one offseason, He seems like the kind of guy who doesn't react too quickly and tries to let guys work things out for themselves. I believe he hired Nix and gailey looking towards the future. Nix starts the rebuild and hands the reigns over to Whaley in a couple years while they rebuild cheaply through the draft and low level FA's

Cameron's deal changed drastically the day Bill Parcells was hired by Wayne Huizenga. BP took one look around, did his evaluation in 2 weeks and then fired the whole coaching staff (minus a few) and the front office. He knew that group of coaches and executives weren't going anywhere and jettisoned the entire lot. Not many in Miami probably were begging that Cameron get more than one season. BP just knew what he had.

Nix is a long time scout who is not experienced as the #1 guy in an organization. He's never worked out of the front office but did his work from Tennessee as Pro Personnel Director for SD. The plan may well be to hand over control to Whaley, but there are no assurances they'll have a team by the time Nix steps aside after 2011 or 2012.

RW has no long term plans, either for front office executives or his team. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept.