Where are the leaders?

In the wake of yesterdays embarrassment I can't help but wonder, where are the leaders on this football team? Who is the guy on offense that will grab another player by the facemask? Who are the defensive players that will get in someones face when they miss an assignment?

In the Kelly era we had true leaders on offense AND defense. Guys like Kelly and Talley would have been all over their respective units. Yesterday I watched a team of 53 followers.

In the wake of yesterdays embarrassment I can't help but wonder, where are the leaders on this football team? Who is the guy on offense that will grab another player by the facemask? Who are the defensive players that will get in someones face when they miss an assignment?

In the Kelly era we had true leaders on offense AND defense. Guys like Kelly and Talley would have been all over their respective units. Yesterday I watched a team of 53 followers.

This is stupid. There is no one on the team whose play would allow them to lead. Whitner has all of the leadership intangibles you could ever ask for. But he doesn't make any plays, so guys could blow him off.

In fact, I think you have it exactly backwards. The problem with the teams is TOO MUCH emphasis on character guys who have leadership skills and too little emphasis on athleticism and talent.

I thought Kelsay was extended for his lockerrom presence and leadership???? Actually, if his lockerrom presence is so great, next week at gametime he should do us all a favor and stay in the lockerrom.

This is stupid. There is no one on the team whose play would allow them to lead. Whitner has all of the leadership intangibles you could ever ask for. But he doesn't make any plays, so guys could blow him off.

In fact, I think you have it exactly backwards. The problem with the teams is TOO MUCH emphasis on character guys who have leadership skills and too little emphasis on athleticism and talent.

Whitner has no leadership skills. None. He's just a mouth.

Leaders lead first by example. He's unqualified to do that, so he's right off the the lsit.

I thought this same thing yesterday evening, while reflecting back on the game. They dont necessarily need someone grabbing facemasks, or screaming at people. At this point, it would be nice just to have one guy that not only KNOWS the scheme/play and can lead others, but have it show in their play as well. Both units look flat. Both units look just as you describe them, like a bunch of followers with no one to follow. Leaders in the NFL have to lead with their play first, or at least be able to back up their mouths with their own play.

Of course, what else would we expect? We have an Offense with no QB and no production. We have a Defense that is transitioning into a brand new scheme, with players playing out of their natural position, and no talent outside of a couple very good DBs.

I'm hoping that these leaders/talents will be drafted in the coming years. Currently, there are no leaders on this team. At any level.

Edited by DrDankenstein