lack of talent, great article

rcatty

I have to somewhat disagree.

And even if the team does lack talent, isn't that on the GM and coaches for who they've retained and who they've brought in?

How do you blame a coach who has been here 9 months and was handed a pathetic roster? How is it his fault that he couldn't draft 53 new players and cut the entire roster? What is Gailey supposed to do, you can only cut so many players and lose money. You have to field a team and this one sucks and the one next year will suck and the one after that will suck.

Get real for five seconds and recognize that this team has a significantly flawed front office, from the owner down to the ticket department.

How do you blame a coach who has been here 9 months and was handed a pathetic roster? How is it his fault that he couldn't draft 53 new players and cut the entire roster? What is Gailey supposed to do, you can only cut so many players and lose money. You have to field a team and this one sucks and the one next year will suck and the one after that will suck.

Get real for five seconds and recognize that this team has a significantly flawed front office, from the owner down to the ticket department.

I think you could argue that Gailey has yet to field a team this season.

How do you blame a coach who has been here 9 months and was handed a pathetic roster?

I can blame him because the team looks worse than last year with much of the same roster. They look less prepared, they look less able to execute, and they look like they're playing with less hustle.

I agree that a lot of it is on the GM/FO for not bringing in more talent

It's seems pretty clear (to me) we're not getting nearly the most out of what we have.

You can disagree and give Gailey a free pass if you like

I know nothing about the ticket department

I can blame him because the team looks worse than last year with much of the same roster. They look less prepared, they look less able to execute, and they look like they're playing with less hustle.

It's seems pretty clear (to me) we're not getting nearly the most out of what we have.

I agree :thumbsup:

Most Bills fans are in denial about this coaching staff, same basic players and yet they are playing worse then last year.

This HC stinks and I'm not giving out free passes to losers. Jauron had the same excuse it was the players, then Fewell takes over and starts winning.

Didn't Nix himself that this team "wasn't that far away" it looks light years away to me.

Edited by Harvey lives

I agree :thumbsup:

Most Bills fans are in denial about this coaching staff, same basic players and yet they are playing worse then last year.

This HC stinks and I'm not giving out free passes to losers. Jauron had the same excuse it was the players, then Fewell takes over and starts winning.

And...where the players differ (Green, Spiller, Davis, Torbor, Edwards, etc)....they are players this regime chose to bring in and sign.

Spiller is there because.....he may be a great player but he's either not being used, not being used in the right way, or not able to be used for want of enough talent on the line. The line that wasn't improved by a high draft choice at tackle.

And...where the players differ (Green, Spiller, Davis, Torbor, Edwards, etc)....they are players this regime chose to bring in and sign.

Spiller is there because.....he may be a great player but he's either not being used, not being used in the right way, or not able to be used for want of enough talent on the line. The line that wasn't improved by a high draft choice at tackle.

Good point. Fewell did better (don't give me "Schobel")last year.

And wasn't Chan supposed to be a guy that "coaches a scheme to fit the talent he has"? Then why are we in the 3-4 when we don't have the talent for it?

Can anyone explain this?

I have to somewhat disagree.

And even if the team does lack talent, isn't that on the GM and coaches for who they've retained and who they've brought in?

The talent point extends to the coaching and management as well. Gailey and Nix, and Jauron and Brandon before them are minor league. We all know that. No top management/coaching talent is coming to the Bills unless they are hired by a long term owner, and that won't happen until Ralph passes. So get used to it.

ITs funny to watch how reactionary this msg board is on a weekly basis.

When Gailey was hired, everyone on here was demanding we switch to a 3-4 defense, personnel be damned.

Some, including myself, were saying its not so easy and you need to have the players to play in the scheme.

We were told that by people on this baord that these guys are athletes and can simply adjust, no big deal.

Well not only are you seeing subpar talent, you are seeing that talent play in a scheme they arent suited for.

Gailey wants to run the 3-4 and is doing the best with what hes got. If you notice they arent running a base 3-4 very often bc they dont have the horses to do it.

quick, name one playmaker in the front 7..... cant? oh yea because there arent any and a scheme isnt gonna change that.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article209103.ece

This article basically says it all. The team just has no talent. It's not the scheme, or coaching.

No, it is the scheme, the coaching and yes, the lack of talent, but they are all intertwined equally on an NFL team. Come on now. You don't think that Bill Cowher and the assistant coaches he would have hired, would not be getting more out of these guys?? In another thread, I complain about the coaches "old boys" network of hiring assistant coaches. Well, that is not quite altogether accurate, as some posters pointed out to me. Every head coach wants to hire assistants he worked with in the past. However, I'm quite sure that when Cowher comes back to an NFL team, (if he does), the coaches he worked with in the past, especially the men he hires as his OC and DC, will be people he's worked with before in some capacity. But I would be that his OC and DC he brings in, will have been coordinators in the NFL before. And that makes a huge difference, especially on a young team like the Bills, who also lack pro bowl level talent. If Gailey would have looked around the NFL and chosen a real OC and a DC with experience, I am sure this team would not be as miserably bad as they are right now. They were nowhere near this bad this time last year, and I think those coaches sucked pretty bad themselves!

So of course these new schemes and coaching is having an effect on this team. Unfortunately, it has effectively helped to make them worse then last year. :wallbash::censored:

How can you blame someone that has had very little time to get players use to his style? Chan runs a different style of O then this team has ran for the last few years out is the High School O they used to run and in comes a O with 3 times the playbook it takes time to learn a playbook you don't just open it and say wow I can do that.

You have to realize that this is going to be a year that Chan and Buddy take a look at the roster and figure out who wants to be here and who does not and also who can help us win and who is just a cheerleader. Give it time and realize that even Rome was not built in a day.

No, it is the scheme, the coaching and yes, the lack of talent, but they are all intertwined equally on an NFL team. Come on now. You don't think that Bill Cowher and the assistant coaches he would have hired, would not be getting more out of these guys?? In another thread, I complain about the coaches "old boys" network of hiring assistant coaches. Well, that is not quite altogether accurate, as some posters pointed out to me. Every head coach wants to hire assistants he worked with in the past. However, I'm quite sure that when Cowher comes back to an NFL team, (if he does), the coaches he worked with in the past, especially the men he hires as his OC and DC, will be people he's worked with before in some capacity. But I would be that his OC and DC he brings in, will have been coordinators in the NFL before. And that makes a huge difference, especially on a young team like the Bills, who also lack pro bowl level talent. If Gailey would have looked around the NFL and chosen a real OC and a DC with experience, I am sure this team would not be as miserably bad as they are right now. They were nowhere near this bad this time last year, and I think those coaches sucked pretty bad themselves!

So of course these new schemes and coaching is having an effect on this team. Unfortunately, it has effectively helped to make them worse then last year. :wallbash::censored:

Chan Galiey was Bill Cowhers OC and Bill liked him so much that he endorsed him to be the Bills coach. The bottom line is we need the horses to win and right now we are lacking players big time.

Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas

Good point. Fewell did better (don't give me "Schobel")last year.

And wasn't Chan supposed to be a guy that "coaches a scheme to fit the talent he has"? Then why are we in the 3-4 when we don't have the talent for it?

Can anyone explain this?

Sure it's easy. We have zero talent. The bottom would have fallen out on any team we fielded with Jauron or anyone else. I don't give a damn who the HC was that got this roster, it sucks. Now I'll judge the FO and HC by what they do from here on out. If we are going to lose 16 + games, dammit, don't do it with veterans! Don't do it with Green, Stroud, Kelsay and even Poz. Play the rooks and the kids and let them get precious game experience for next year. Trade Lynch and Evans and get some picks and let's stop pretending we are anything but a bottom line rebuild.

Sure it's easy. We have zero talent. The bottom would have fallen out on any team we fielded with Jauron or anyone else. I don't give a damn who the HC was that got this roster, it sucks. Now I'll judge the FO and HC by what they do from here on out. If we are going to lose 16 + games, dammit, don't do it with veterans! Don't do it with Green, Stroud, Kelsay and even Poz. Play the rooks and the kids and let them get precious game experience for next year. Trade Lynch and Evans and get some picks and let's stop pretending we are anything but a bottom line rebuild.

If your goal is to absolve CG of any blame here, then yeah, it looks real easy when you simply say that. Unfortunately it doesn't make it true.

Our "talent" is little different from last year overall. Any changes (other than retirement) were brought about by Gailey and Nix thorugh the draft and FA.

We rarely looked this consistently bad last year. This coaching staff is lacking any significant, successful NFL personnel.

"..... we all have shopping lists but Buddy's is different than ours. He has shown that and I think he has gone a long way in convincing the skeptics on this board that he knows talent. So let the big names come and go, if Buddy signs them they will fill a hole we need, and we have plenty."

Oh yeah?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Chan Galiey was Bill Cowhers OC and Bill liked him so much that he endorsed him to be the Bills coach. The bottom line is we need the horses to win and right now we are lacking players big time.

Simply because Bill Cowher endoresed the guy doesn't make him a winning head coach.... right now Cowher would be removing his deeply planted foot from Gaileys behind and tell him to stop trying to constantly throw out of the shotgun against a good 3-4 defense. Start running the Ball in the fashion of the Steelers, hammer hammer hammer at those front three and wear them out.

This coaching staff had ALL OFF SEASON and an entire draft to correct some of the weak areas of the team, THEY IGNORED THOSE AREAS! QB- LT- RT- WR -OLB Instead they draft a luxury pick RB and claim he will "make the line block better" and then don't even try and utilize the guy at all.

This staffs idea of a good upgrade was Cornell Green and Chris Kelsay, do you really want them around next year to screw up another draft and free agency period?