Buffalo Bills=Pittsburgh Pirates

RyanC883

I am a Bills fan, and a Pirates fan. (I know, pity me :rolleyes: ). The similarity between these two organizations is horribly frightening. Every year each respective team stinks it up. And every year the respective ownership comes out and says "this year will be different" and trots out some ridiculous slogan like Billieve. And then, when the respective ownerships finally try to show that they are willing to spend money, they spend it on the wrong players while letting the good ones walk (Pat Williams, etc). :wallbash::wallbash: And now, ironically, some Bills fans are talking about boycotting during a game, which ironically is something Pirates fans did last season. I hate to think the Bills are down at the Pirates level, particularly because there is a salary cap in football and a football team should never reach that level of terribleness, but Im beginning to think they have.

Edited by RyanC883

I am a Bills fan, and a Pirates fan. (I know, pity me :rolleyes: ). The similarity between these two organizations is horribly frightening. Every year each respective team stinks it up. And every year the respective ownership comes out and says "this year will be different" and trots out some ridiculous slogan like Billieve. And then, when the respective ownerships finally try to show that they are willing to spend money, they spend it on the wrong players while letting the good ones walk (Pat Williams, etc). :wallbash::wallbash: And now, ironically, some Bills fans are talking about boycotting during a game, which ironically is something Pirates fans did last season. I hate to think the Bills are down at the Pirates level, particularly because there is a salary cap in football and a football team should never reach that level of terribleness, but I’m beginning to think they have.

Stop posting this crap. No we are not the Pittsburg Pirates.

I am a Bills fan, and a Pirates fan. (I know, pity me :rolleyes: ). The similarity between these two organizations is horribly frightening. Every year each respective team stinks it up. And every year the respective ownership comes out and says "this year will be different" and trots out some ridiculous slogan like Billieve. And then, when the respective ownerships finally try to show that they are willing to spend money, they spend it on the wrong players while letting the good ones walk (Pat Williams, etc).

I AM in this boat too!!! I thought I was the only 2 laughingstock franchise fan out there!

The Bills can't be considered to be like the Pirates for these reasons:

1. No matter how bad the people that come in do, Ralph Wilson cares about wins and losses, unlike Nutting.

2. The city of Buffalo is dependent upon the Bills, while the Pirates are just an afterthought these days in Pittsburgh.

3. The Bills are willing to sign quality free agents to supplement what little young talent we have, unlike the Pirates.

Comparing the Bills to the Pirates isn't fair... being a Pirates fan is THE worst fan experience in the game- little veteran talent, won't sign young talent that develops and would rather ship them off, owner takes the revenue sharing money and pockets it, contract extension for a horrible manager, no salary cap. I AM in the pit of despair if you add my New York Knicks. ALL I HAVE IS THE BUFFALO SABRES out of FOUR sports!!!

So there you are... and guess what? I'm STILL a fan of ALL FOUR... I haven't quit.

I AM in this boat too!!! I thought I was the only 2 laughingstock franchise fan out there!

The Bills can't be considered to be like the Pirates for these reasons:

1. No matter how bad the people that come in do, Ralph Wilson cares about wins and losses, unlike Nutting.

2. The city of Buffalo is dependent upon the Bills, while the Pirates are just an afterthought these days in Pittsburgh.

3. The Bills are willing to sign quality free agents to supplement what little young talent we have, unlike the Pirates.

Comparing the Bills to the Pirates isn't fair... being a Pirates fan is THE worst fan experience in the game- little veteran talent, won't sign young talent that develops and would rather ship them off, owner takes the revenue sharing money and pockets it, contract extension for a horrible manager, no salary cap. I AM in the pit of despair if you add my New York Knicks. ALL I HAVE IS THE BUFFALO SABRES out of FOUR sports!!!

So there you are... and guess what? I'm STILL a fan of ALL FOUR... I haven't quit.

Glad to see there is another Bills and Pirates fan out there! Don't worry, I haven't quit either. Someday Kelly will own the Bills, and Mario or Cuban will own the Pirates (ok, I'm delusional, but I can hope, right!). But, I think they are similar teams. First, I'm not sure that Ralph actually cares about winning, and I can't think of the last "quality" FA the Bills signed. Also, the Pirates have signed big free agents (Matt Morris 10mill/year deal). The Bills have also signed a horrible coach to an extension (Jauron, but at least they fired him.) So, perhaps the Bills are not quite in the same place (they do have a few great players unlike the Pirates: Puz, Spiller, etc.), but they are very, very close to being run in the same manner (would we have these players if there was no salary cap?). Anyway, I don't mean to be argumentative, just sharing some thoughts. Hey, at least for us, hockey season starts soon.

I beg to differ (see my avatar). Like the O's, the Bills play in a brutal eastern division populated by big-money, well-run teams. Like the O's they have an incompetent owner, albeit one who truly does want to win. Like the Os, they were a good team through the late 1990s. The bottom fell out quickly for both teams after that.

Glad to see there is another Bills and Pirates fan out there! Don't worry, I haven't quit either. Someday Kelly will own the Bills, and Mario or Cuban will own the Pirates (ok, I'm delusional, but I can hope, right!). But, I think they are similar teams. First, I'm not sure that Ralph actually cares about winning, and I can't think of the last "quality" FA the Bills signed. Also, the Pirates have signed big free agents (Matt Morris 10mill/year deal). The Bills have also signed a horrible coach to an extension (Jauron, but at least they fired him.) So, perhaps the Bills are not quite in the same place (they do have a few great players unlike the Pirates: Puz, Spiller, etc.), but they are very, very close to being run in the same manner (would we have these players if there was no salary cap?). Anyway, I don't mean to be argumentative, just sharing some thoughts. Hey, at least for us, hockey season starts soon.

Yeah, all of that glorious history and names like Wagner, the Waners, Traynor, Clemente, Stargell, and now we're stuck with crap. Matt Morris was a Dave Littlefield knife and twist signing that was his last putrid hurrah.

Ralph does care about winning, but his decision making is terrible, and to our detriment. Ever since he chose the finance guy over Polian, we have been sliding down and down.

Owens at least was an attempt which could have worked out had we supported him, but the Pirates don't sign quality guys, only bargain basement guys like Iwamura.

We're born to be argumentative when it comes to losing teams- we're angry, hungry, and tired of B.S. I don't fault you AT ALL :)

I beg to differ (see my avatar). Like the O's, the Bills play in a brutal eastern division populated by big-money, well-run teams. Like the O's they have an incompetent owner, albeit one who truly does want to win. Like the Os, they were a good team through the late 1990s. The bottom fell out quickly for both teams after that.

Buck Showalter was a great move... and your club has a lot of talent that was thrown away the first months of the season- I live 20 mins from Camden Yards, and trust me, I know what you have in Baltimore and it isn't the chump change we have!! LOL

You have hope... we don't even have a small crumb of hope! :(