Sanchez a 'safe' QB?

l< j

Read this column by Peter King this a.m.: here

King uses some stats and a few comments by Jets coaches to make the point that Sanchez is playing mistake free since late last season. He's a 'safe' QB, or one playing mistake-free. I keep seeing reference here to Sanchez' inevitable interceptions, and King ways we could be waiting a while for that.

He provides this table to make the point. (Column alignment will be screwed up, but you are smart folks.)

Quarterback Plays* Int. Fum/Lost** Turnovers

Drew Brees 296 3 5-2 5

Peyton Manning 293 3 1-0 3

Tom Brady 253 8 2-2 10

Mark Sanchez 190 2 0-0 2

Remember, stats don't lie. Statisticians, however, do.

Sanchez is asked to do a lot less than those good QBs, both in terms of attempts and in terms of where his attempts are going. That says that his game is limited as much as it says he is good.

The column kinda begs the question, is being 'safe' enough? It seems that a good QB has to take risks downfield, even at the expense of his stats. The Jets coaches are encouraging him to avoid risk, though. Kind of the anti-Favre mentality, shrugging off a 6 yd completion on 3rd and 8 instead of shrugging off a mid- or long-range interception.

Also, and more important, can the Bills defense turn Sanchez into Trent 2.0? Keep the passing game in front of them and clog up the runners? How critical will the anemic Bills pass rush be?

kj

He has not been asked to do a lot in that offense, and has done a good job with ball security.

The last two weeks he has some big plays, though, with three passing touchdowns in each of his last two games.

Jets fans think he is truly coming in to this own, I think he just happened to have a couple good games.

I don't think he will ever be an elite QB, but I think he is probably better than I thought he would be.

In the Miami game last week, Sanchez, trying to get a screen to a running back, tried to loft the ball over a defensive lineman. It hit the Miami lineman in the helmet and chest. It was a pure pick-six, but the lineman was so surprised by the terrible decision that he dropped it.

He also threw another ball that was almost intercepted, that would have likely been a TD.

I just hope he keeps making those decisions. It would help if the Bills could generate something resembling a pass rush. Sanchez may have not turned the ball over so far this season, but I think that is a temporary situation and I expect him to produce a lot of turnovers before the year is out.