How good or bad is Henrik Tallinder

billsfan89

Hockey season is about to start and I know there are a lot of Sabers fans here so I am asking how good or bad the guy is? How was he on the Sabers and I am very interested as my Devils paid a lot of money for this guy to help out their D. What does the guy bring defensively and offensively?

Edited by billsfan89

Hockey season is about to start and I know there are a lot of Sabers fans here so I am asking how good or bad the guy is? How was he on the Sabers and I am very interested as my Devils paid a lot of money for this guy to help out their D. What does the guy bring defensively and offensively?

He sucks..Myers carried his old ass last year, Devils overpaid, Darcy never errs on a player, same as Nix

I would say he is solid, but unspectacular most nights. He played better this past season, than he did the previous year. Tyler Meyers may have played some role in that. I don't think he will embarass you, but, in all his time with Buffalo, IMO, he never really stepped up when we needed him to. That can be said of most of our players though. The Sabres and Devils play a different type of game, it seems to me.

Perhaps, the Devils system will play to his strengths a little more?

:rolleyes:

Good but not great defender. Won't cost you guys games

Yeah I don't think they signed him to be a front line guy just a solid 5th or 4th defense-man. They signed Anton Volchenkov to help with the front 4 while Tallinder is either the 4th or 5th guy. If they had signed him to be a bigger role I would be a little more nervous but for what the Devils want it sounds like he will do OK even if he is a little overpaid.

They just needed a deeper D as their 5th and 6th guys were crap last year.

Edited by billsfan89

It's actually spelled Sabres.

Tallinder was on his way to becoming a great D-man back in 05-06,possibly even a future Norris Trophy winner, but he broke his arm in the playoffs and was never the same. As other posters have commented, he's an average d-man now that won't cost you a game, but won't win one for you either. Personally, he drove me insane watching him play because he has a great deal of unfulfilled potential. Not like Trent Edwards flameout bad, but he will barely even be an afterthought in 20 years as opposed to one of the better d-men of his generation.

Tallinder was on his way to becoming a great D-man back in 05-06,possibly even a future Norris Trophy winner, but he broke his arm in the playoffs and was never the same. As other posters have commented, he's an average d-man now that won't cost you a game, but won't win one for you either. Personally, he drove me insane watching him play because he has a great deal of unfulfilled potential. Not like Trent Edwards flameout bad, but he will barely even be an afterthought in 20 years as opposed to one of the better d-men of his generation.

Hopefully the Devils system suites him better. But they aren't counting on him being more than a 5th D man maybe a 4th if someone is hurt. But the guy is simply a guy to bring depth to the D (The Mike Mottau's of the world weren't cutting it) and they didn't need a front line guy all they needed was a solid stay at home guy to back stop the back end of the D. Hopefully Tallinder can provide just that.

Edited by billsfan89

Hopefully the Devils system suites him better. But they aren't counting on him being more than a 5th D man maybe a 4th if someone is hurt. But the guy is simply a guy to bring depth to the D (The Mike Mottau's of the world weren't cutting it) and they didn't need a front line guy all they needed was a solid stay at home guy to back stop the back end of the D. Hopefully Tallinder can provide just that.

I hope the Devils don't expect him to hit anybody.. in that sense, Henrik makes Trent look tough.

I hope the Devils don't expect him to hit anybody.. in that sense, Henrik makes Trent look tough.

They have White and Volchenkov to do the hitting they kind of just needed a solid 5th D-man to anchor the 3rd line and teach the younger Sweeds they got.

Tallinder is a decent #5 or 6 defenseman. He was a non-factor for the past 3 or 4 years, but Myers presence lifted his game a bit last year. In his contract year no less, perfect timing for some team to overpay for him this year. He has nothing to offer on the offensive side of the rink, but he is a decent position defender. But he's not physical, even though he has some size. Tallinder seems like a good guy, good locker room guy, works hard. But he just average at best even when paired with a good defenseman...

Edited by ricojes