The Ig Nobel Prizes have been awarded

/dev/null

And finally, a project at the University of Catania in Italy was awarded the management prize for demonstrating mathematically that organizations can improve efficiency by promoting people randomly.

I dont understand how this is possible. If they promote people randomly then what is the incentive to actually work hard and earn your promotion. I would do the bare minimum if the company I worked for did this.

Damn. I though my brother and I had a good chance this year, with our paper "Biomechanical consequences of reduced dynamic friction at the human-algal interface."

(My wife slipped on a moldy patch on a storm drain in the backyard a couple of months ago.)

And finally, a project at the University of Catania in Italy was awarded the management prize for demonstrating mathematically that organizations can improve efficiency by promoting people randomly.

I dont understand how this is possible. If they promote people randomly then what is the incentive to actually work hard and earn your promotion. I would do the bare minimum if the company I worked for did this.

My company gives promotions only to the most incompetent, so this would actually be an improvement.