Safeties Need to Step Up

The Bills are trying to establish an identity on defense of having a top secondary. So far, the cornerbacks have played at a very high level and are holding up their end of the bargain - but what the heck are the safeties doing?

Do you think Whitner will get a single interception this season? Do you think Byrd will get more than two this season?

They are making their fair share of tackles, but have not yet really made a single big play this year.

Why can't you accept what Whitner has contributed to this organization? I don't get the hate. He deserves to be extended, IMHO.

I agree. When a team has the #8 selection in a draft, what you DO want is a player who performs on and off the field like Donte Whitner.

He makes play after game changing play, and we wouldn't be so good at stacking up wins were it not for his contributions, especially his stellar performance against the Pats. As a matter of fact, he is a shoe in for the NFL HOF.

Great post!!!! :thumbsup:

I agree. When a team has the #8 selection in a draft, what you DO want is a player who performs on and off the field like Donte Whitner.

He makes play after game changing play, and we wouldn't be so good at stacking up wins were it not for his contributions, especially his stellar performance against the Pats. As a matter of fact, he is a shoe in for the NFL HOF.

Great post!!!! :thumbsup:

I'm parroting NaPolian8693's manlove for Chris Kelsay from the million threads he's started on the subject... in other words, sarcasm.

I guess I should feel honored that you are trolling me in several different threads now.

Dude, if anyone is a troll, it's you.

It's late and TSW has very little activity, however. I'll refrain from responding to your million and one threads on the same subject.

OK....sorry. :oops:

Ha, no worries... it wasn't clear from my post.

The Bills are trying to establish an identity on defense of having a top secondary. So far, the cornerbacks have played at a very high level and are holding up their end of the bargain - but what the heck are the safeties doing?

Do you think Whitner will get a single interception this season? Do you think Byrd will get more than two this season?

They are making their fair share of tackles, but have not yet really made a single big play this year.

With the exception of one big mistake I saw, Whitner has been pretty active this year, I think. He is hitting hard and making tackles. I'd like to see the Bills use him a bit more on the blitz, too. He is extremely solid, if not spectacular. Don't discount solid, every team needs solid. And remember EVERY 3rd down stop is a BIG play. Ever tackle that saves a break away gain is a BIG play. Some people think if it isn't on SportsCenter it wasn't a big play.

Byrd is more exciting, and has a nose for big plays, but needs to be more consistent in coverage. He has only played in one game, I think, due to a preseason injury. But I guess it's never too early for a Bills fan to bash a player's performance. One game is enough!

With the NFL's worst front 7, you're worried about the safeties? I think the dbs have been awesome, considering the lack of anything from the boys up front.

Edited by JPS

With the exception of one big mistake I saw, Whitner has been pretty active this year, I think. He is hitting hard and making tackles. I'd like to see the Bills use him a bit more on the blitz, too. He is extremely solid, if not spectacular. Don't discount solid, every team needs solid. And remember EVERY 3rd down stop is a BIG play. Ever tackle that saves a break away gain is a BIG play. Some people think if it isn't on SportsCenter it wasn't a big play.

I really am amazed to hear this come from you...I am happy we agree on something! :thumbsup:

People dont understand that just because a player doesnt make "BIG" plays, does NOT mean they are not good. It is all about how the coaching staff uses said player and whether they are in position to make a big play. Whitner is not Bob Sanders or Ed Reed...but he is just as good as most the other Safeties in the league...he just has not had a staff who knows how to use him!

I like #37 George Wilson myself. I wish he got more playing time than Whitner.

I agree, but Whitner IS the better safety...what I dont understand is, why not try George Wilson back at WR once in a while?

With the NFL's worst front 7, you're worried about the safeties? I think the dbs have been awesome, considering the lack of anything from the boys up front.

Correct. The only smart post here. the DBs are totally out on an island. You'll get no aggressive play out of the secondary this year. too risky when the QB has all day to throw.. defense is a team sport, if one piece is broken, everyone suffers

Are you trying to be funny?

Well, Whitner is too busy trying to cover Kelsay's mistakes in both the running and passing game to do a whole lot of freelancing out there.

Kelsey has saved a lot of D breakdowns this year from going for big gains. Right now he the best we've got at the position, heh, what are you going to do, it is what it is.

Whitner got suckered on Moss TD but the Pats* had a great play called and the execution was beyond perfect.

I agree he has not shown #8 pick risk/reward though.

Byrd is more exciting, and has a nose for big plays, but needs to be more consistent in coverage. He has only played in one game, I think, due to a preseason injury. But I guess it's never too early for a Bills fan to bash a player's performance. One game is enough!

Brother, Finley owned him in the Green Bay game. With 9 minutes or so, he simply got out of the way of the rushing TD against NE. He was also running toward the sideline on a post pattern for a TD. I think it was caught by Moss. I missed the opener.

He rarely made big plays; now he is giving them up.

Edited by Bill from NYC

People dont understand that just because a player doesnt make "BIG" plays, does NOT mean they are not good. It is all about how the coaching staff uses said player and whether they are in position to make a big play. Whitner is not Bob Sanders or Ed Reed...but he is just as good as most the other Safeties in the league...he just has not had a staff who knows how to use him!

You have identified the problem with Whitner. If you are drafted #8 overall, then you better be in the same league as Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and Bob Sanders, if not better than those guys.

As far as I can tell, Whitner is an average player. He doesn't make any big plays, he mostly makes okay plays, and he has his share of glaring mistakes.

Byrd, Wilson and Whitner have had less than perfect games. The problem hasn't been the safety play though. I think still Byrd is feeling the effects of the surgery. But it really is what has been playing in front of them. And yes, Whitner does get himself out of position at times in coverage and always has. Against GB he wasn't the one covering Finley most of the time but when he did....well we have is what we have. I know that every team has problems covering big fast tightends and we have a sh!tload of them on our schedule this year. BTW, if they are going to extend the likes of Kelsey and Whitner is up too, along with Marshawn I would like to see them get it done during the season.

Kelsey has saved a lot of D breakdowns this year from going for big gains. Right now he the best we've got at the position, heh, what are you going to do, it is what it is.

Whitner got suckered on Moss TD but the Pats* had a great play called and the execution was beyond perfect.

I agree he has not shown #8 pick risk/reward though.

Kelsay is the breakdown as he is at the toddler stages of learning a new position. Ignoring that, Kelsay is averaging 4 tackles and 2 assists a game. Not sure about others, but "a lot" isn't usually a number I can count on the fingers of one hand and still have some left over. Keith Ellison is making more plays and is more fundamentally sound than Kelsay.

Sorry, but I never said Whitner was flawless. I've sent criticism his way before, in fact. However, he's not terrible. He has been helping Kelsay quite a bit, especially in coverage where Kelsay is useless.