THE definitive Drew Bledsoe post....

mtdoak

After doing some thinking, I have come to a few conclusions about Bledsoe.

When Bledsoe is in a good offense where the running game is working, Bledsoe is a good to great QB. Strong arm, hits receivers with precision.

However, once the running game stalls. Or he is sacked a few times, Bledsoes game goes downhill. Teams realize this and almost always try and force Drew to win the game by himself.

Why does this happen. Why does Bledsoe try to win games by himself and make terrible throws. Its simple: Bledsoe is impatient. Its almost as if he gets frustrated when the offense isn't working and tries to win it himself. When Bledsoe doesn't believe in a system he is playing, his game suffers tremedously, simply because he tries to play above the system and do everything himself.

Look at his early years in New England. He flourished. Why? Because he believed in the coaching staff and the system he was in. When things went bad, he didn't panic, he just played within the system and he won.

After Parcells left, his career went downhill. Why? The personell did change, the coaching changed....however, Bledsoe slowly lost faith in the system he was in, tried to do it all his self. He never gained faith in the Belichek system, and by the time he did (the 2001 AFC Championship game), Brady had taken over.

Fast forward to his career in Buffalo. His first 8 games? Absolutly amazing. he had a new system which he believed in. However, as the playcalling got worse and worse, the system started to break down. By the time the 2003 season was over, Bledsoe had no faith in the system at all, which was well justified. The last 3 games however, Bledsoe seems to have started to play much better. Maybe it was the New England game that jarred his noggin loose. However, it appears as if Bledsoe is starting to believe in Mularky and the new system. And while I think Losman has to be the starter eventaully, if Bledsoe finishes the season strong, well, next season could very well be the best in a long time for Drew.

Now I know I'm labeled a Bledsoe Basher among the inner circle of the Bledsoe Apologists crew, but I will say this: great post.

Is Drew's second-half career flop more the result of Drew or of his coaches and the lack of continuity among the offensive systems he's been told to run?

I don't know for sure, but I do know that anything's possible and that you could very well be right.

Did anyone notice that Sam Madison was giving Drew Bledsoe Donahoe-level respect? Here's a guy who has been one of the league's best corners for almost all 8 years he has been in the league, played Drew twice a year for all of them, and acknowledges his talent. I'd consider high praise from a player like Sam pretty telling of what Drew can do. Granted, Madison also pointed out that with a pass rush, Bledsoe can be made average, which is entirely true.

Just remember this:

Bledsoe, in 12 years in the NFL, has had 5 head Coaches, 7 OC and 6 completely different offenses.

The differences in the offenses that he's run are staggering.

He started out in a simple FB/TE offense (A Parcells favorite BTW)

This offense morphed into a downfield Offense during the Super Bowl year.

Then he went through the Ernie Zampesie timing offense that required WR's to get off the block quick, or else the timing went screwy.

Then the Charlie Weiss small ball/East Coast offense

Then onto the wide open Kill Drive offense

Now working on a more ball controlled/short passing/trickery offense the Bills use today.

That's 6 completely different offenses.

Bledsoe has been voted to 4 pro bowls, and every Pro bowl year, he's had a different OC, and a different offense, which is a pretty good indication of this man's talent.

Look at all the great QB's and one thing that is common is that the offense that they ran well, never changed, unfortunately for Bledsoe he's had to endure many changes, and the effects have taken their toll in his trust of each new offense.