Greg Giraldo RIP

DrDawkinstein

There was a time several years ago when a handful of TBD'ers were always touting Dane Cook and how funny he was. I started watching some of his stuff and just never really felt the same way. I completely agree that someoene like Giraldo was in a completely different league. When I read what Bartshan wrote about how this guy attended some pretty good schools, it made perfect sense. The guy was clearly functioning on a higher level of intellect, and it often manifested as some very witty comedy. Dane Cook can't hold his jock.

15 year olds think Dane Cook is entertaining; the guy as abysmal. Giraldo was fantastic and his humor was really one of a kind, very edgy and funny. Great on the Roasts as well, he just never got the publicity he deserved. He is a mainstay on my Ipod along with Bill Burr and Nick Dipaolo, an hour on the tread mill never went so fast after listening to them.

15 year olds think Dane Cook is entertaining; the guy as abysmal. Giraldo was fantastic and his humor was really one of a kind, very edgy and funny. Great on the Roasts as well, he just never got the publicity he deserved. He is a mainstay on my Ipod along with Bill Burr and Nick Dipaolo, an hour on the tread mill never went so fast after listening to them.

Totally agree. I view stand up comedy as an art form, and while I can laugh once or twice at just about anyone, it's rare that I find a performer who can so effortlessly tap into their wit like this guy could. So many comics are cop-outs...they use devices and formulas and such...but to be truly quick and witty is pretty rare, IMO.

Gilbert Gottfried (another one of my favorite comedians, and friend of Greg Giraldo), on the passing of Greg Giraldo:

"If Greg Giraldo is cremated, will that be the “Greg Giraldo Roast"

Some people were disturbed with that comment. I love Gilbert's response:

"Greg can't say anything about it now ... I'm not worried about him calling and complaining."

http://www.tmz.com/2010/09/29/greg-giraldo-dead-gilbert-gottfried-roast-twitter/

I think Greg would have loved that.

People who are offended by Gilbert's comments dont "get it". I've had to explain this to a friend of mine before...his making a joke about Giraldo is a tribute, not insensitivity. Even if the guy was really hurting on the inside from losing his friend, he'd still make a joke about the situation.

People who are offended by Gilbert's comments dont "get it". I've had to explain this to a friend of mine before...his making a joke about Giraldo is a tribute, not insensitivity. Even if the guy was really hurting on the inside from losing his friend, he'd still make a joke about the situation.

You can't explain it. Someone either "gets it" or they don't.

Most good comedy comes from conflict. Be it internal, emotional, racial, religious, etc. Sadly, most great comedians struggle with their own line of conflict. When you can view the world in a way that 95% of the world doesn't....it can get lonely. You take chances with your words or sometimes actions because in the end, "it's all just a game".

A truly funny person doesn't care what anyone else thinks....they are working for those who "get it", even if at times it is only for themselves.