Day Traders

Magox

I do a lot of day trading....

I don't know if any of you guys are active in your accounts....

I just wanted to hear what you guys think is a good play for the Fourth Quarter....

I'm buying Oil Drillers and shorting Banks... That's how I'm playing it (as of now)..

What's your top predictions?

I do a lot of day trading....

I don't know if any of you guys are active in your accounts....

I just wanted to hear what you guys think is a good play for the Fourth Quarter....

I'm buying Oil Drillers and shorting Banks... That's how I'm playing it (as of now)..

What's your top predictions?

GM

I don't day trade but I have made a fair amount of $ the last 2 to 3 months with MO, KMB, Singapore, gold and a few short bonds to name a few. You day traders add too much volatility to the market at times.

I may move into more commodities and more Asia as we head into winter.

Edited by whateverdude

I trade some cad and some us.

For cad I like xiu and na. Depends on your outlook on the Canadian economy. For us I think Goldman long term will rebound.

There are plenty of opportunities to take advantage of the vol. The uncertainty makes plenty of short term buying opportunities.

If you're man enough, take on 3 randomly picked stocks between now and December 15. Assume a budget of $1000. In the random picker, $333 is spent equally on each stock. You can do whatever you want with your $1000 but you need to sit on it until December 15...no cashouts or selloffs.

Here are the 3 randoms. My methodology was to select 2 from the NYSE and 1 from NASDAQ. You can pick anything you want.

VFC VF Corp $81/share ... 4.1 shares

AT Atlantic Power Corporation $13.85/share ... 24 shares

INCY Incyte Pharma 15.99/share ... 20.8 shares

Edited by Peace

If you're man enough, take on 3 randomly picked stocks between now and December 15. Assume a budget of $1000. In the random picker, $333 is spent equally on each stock. You can do whatever you want with your $1000 but you need to sit on it until December 15...no cashouts or selloffs.

Here are the 3 randoms. My methodology was to select 2 from the NYSE and 1 from NASDAQ. You can pick anything you want.

Nice

Ok,

SKF 19.85 16 shares

RIG 64.3 5 shares

FCX 84.90 4 shares

• 2 weeks later...

Nice

Ok,

SKF 19.85 16 shares

RIG 64.3 5 shares

FCX 84.90 4 shares

I'm out!

SKF

Sell SKF 19.15 = 306

Sell RIG 67.57 = 337.75

Sell FCX 99.62 = 398.48

net gain 6.4% in two weeks, I'll take it!

I don't like what is happening right now with this Bank Foreclosure business going on, plus this week we have seen the bond auctions look extremely weak.

• 2 weeks later...

Worth revisiting with 6 weeks or so to go.

VFC: 83.15

AT: 14.94

INCY: 16.53

At this point, the monkey picks are up $46, for an even 4.6% increase. We'll see where it heads from there...trailing Magox, if his selloff was permitted, which it was not, by 2 points. In the rules of the game, Magox is up 3.4% and trails the monkey.

Edited by Peace

At this point, the monkey picks are up $46, for an even 4.6% increase. We'll see where it heads from there...trailing Magox, if his selloff was permitted, which it was not, by 2 points. In the rules of the game, Magox is up 3.4% and trails the monkey.

I play by my own rules... That's how I trade. :beer:

Touche. That's why I included both measures.

Wish we'd gotten more players.

I'm completely out now, other than a TBT position I have (which is a short in the longer dated bond markets)

Fed may disappoint with not giving enough QE to support the market, or they may scare the market with too much. I suppose the market had been baking in an initial $500 B, but it appears that they may do a piecemeal $250 per quarter type of deal.

I will say this though, the market is addicted to this QE. That is the main thing that has been driving the market, what will happen if a year from now QE doesn't bring down unemployment in a meaningful way?

• 1 month later...

Only 2 participants in that contest but the results are clear: Magox IS smarter than a monkey.

The monkey picks returned $25 or 2.5% to Magox's 6.6%. Well done.

I will start another thread like this shortly for a calendar year game with rules that allow buys and sells. I will do it myself but also let the monkey play too.

Only 2 participants in that contest but the results are clear: Magox IS smarter than a monkey.

The monkey picks returned $25 or 2.5% to Magox's 6.6%. Well done.

I will start another thread like this shortly for a calendar year game with rules that allow buys and sells. I will do it myself but also let the monkey play too.

The TBT trade which isn't listed, but I did mention it in one of the earlier posts went from $32 to $40, and I just got out of it about 10 minutes ago. FCX was another great play went from $84 to $117, I sold it last week, it's back to $110 and I just picked it back up. Copper and Palladium are my favorite commodities for 2011. I bought JP Morgan 2 weeks ago, but sold it once it went up a couple bucks, I happened to have bought it the same day (but before I heard) that Goldman placed it on it's conviction buy list. I'm thinking about going back in there again.

Edited by Magox