Hypothectical Scheduling question

Cynical

I originally had the following as part of a reply, but was afraid it might get buried.

You're the AD of a large university well known as a perennial football power. You're trying to fill in your football teams future schedule.

You contact a school like Duke (or Kansas if you prefer) looking for a game or two. Duke's (Kansas) AD says he's willing to do a home and home series under one condition: you have to schedule a home and home series between your basketball teams.

Do you pull the trigger?

I originally had the following as part of a reply, but was afraid it might get buried.

You're the AD of a large university well known as a perennial football power. You're trying to fill in your football teams future schedule.

You contact a school like Duke (or Kansas if you prefer) looking for a game or two. Duke's (Kansas) AD says he's willing to do a home and home series under one condition: you have to schedule a home and home series between your basketball teams.

Do you pull the trigger?

This would seem like a no-brainer to me. I'm getting a schedule-filler for my football team and simultaneously locking up a premier home game draw for my basketball team. Unless there were some serious calendaring conflicts, I'd be happy to do this.

Sounds like maybe I'm missing something...?

This would seem like a no-brainer to me. I'm getting a schedule-filler for my football team and simultaneously locking up a premier home game draw for my basketball team. Unless there were some serious calendaring conflicts, I'd be happy to do this.

Sounds like maybe I'm missing something...?

Exactly. If you are a 2d or 3d tier basketball team you are dying to get primier teams to come to your place (or even get them on your schedule at all).

As opposed to football, top basketball teams aren't afraid to schedule teams that might upset them because it's a 30 game season so an extra loss or two isn't going to derail the title hopes of Duke or Kansas.

Exactly. If you are a 2d or 3d tier basketball team you are dying to get primier teams to come to your place (or even get them on your schedule at all).

As opposed to football, top basketball teams aren't afraid to schedule teams that might upset them because it's a 30 game season so an extra loss or two isn't going to derail the title hopes of Duke or Kansas.

That was my thinking.

And with basketball, it actually goes beyond that. One of the major ranking tools the NCAA selection committee uses when picking for March Madness is RPI. As long as you don't go into Duke (or Kansas) and lose 100-38, you are actually likely IMPROVING your postseason chances even with a loss.

Scheduling, playing and losing to a top 10 basketball team is almost a no-loss proposition for a lower tiered school. It improves your SOS, RPI and unless you get absolutely blown out of the building, the loss isn't even counted against you. Plus its OOC. And if you manage to keep it close (<6-8 points), you're likely to get points for a "quality loss."

Cynical....you gonna weigh in on your own topic here? What was your thinking?

Sorry. Got caught up in other things. :)

There was a reason for this question.

A bit of background:

After the Bama - Duke game, some Duke fans came on a Bama board I like to frequent and posted the congratulatory how great the team was, and how wonderful Bama fans were, etc., etc., etc..

One of them posted the question: Do you think the Bama AD would consider doing a home - home series for the BB teams?

That question kind of stuck with me.

Then I heard about Ole Miss hooking up with BSU to do a game for 2011. When Bama's AD was asked to give an opinion, he replied something along the lines of "Boise State has never contacted the University of Alabama".

That's when the 'package' thought popped into my head. Would an AD be willing to 'sacrifice' one sports team to promote another?

My opinion, I am pretty much all for it. So what if my BB team gets slaughtered. The other AD is expecting his football team to get destroyed. In the end, both schools can look forward to hosting a "premier" team in their own venue, and the revenue it would generate.

If Boise St was truly serious about building their football program, what's stopping them from calling on schools like Kansas, Duke, Louisville, Kentucky, etc.... and offering up a similar type of package deal?

At the same time, I wonder how Boise St would answer if Kansas, Duke, etc. came calling.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.