OT- BCS screwed Cal

Zona

How can the Cal Bears ranked #4 in the polls, and 10-1 for the year, with the 1 being a close loss to #1, NOT go to a BCS game? They should have been a LOCK for the Rose Bowl, but instead they get hosed. What a crock! I hate the BCS!!!!

Yeah, I know about Utah, and Texas and all that, but Cal is better than all but Auburn, OU, and SC, and they get treated like yesterdays leftovers. It is enough to turn my stomach, and I dont like Cal.

Hey BCS, I got something for ya. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

The BCS, and all of Div.1-A College Football, is one gigantic screw job anyway. USC and Oklahoma were annointed for the title game before the season began. This is the biggest reason I DO NOT follow, or even care, about college football. What kind of sport lets the press pick it's champion? It could not be a bigger beauty contest if they had the players parade in swimsuits!

Until the institute a legitimate playoff system, the whole national championship thing is totally meaningless.

PTR

That really is a sham. Since we don't know who is better between Oklahoma and USC, lets say they are even for argument's sake:

Cal lost to USC on the road by 6 points, outplayed them statistically, and had a chance to win it late.

Texas lost to Oklahoma by 12 on a nuetral field, and if you watched the game it was never close. Their offense was pathetic, and their QB couldn't complete a pass to save his life. They never even came close to scoring.

Never been a Michigan fan but I hope they destroy Texas.

USC is ranked #1.

The only Cal loss was to USC. They lost it on a 4th down play with a few seconds left when a pass to the end zone was just out of reach. Cal catches it-they are undefeated and win the Pac10.

Personally, I think the BCS sucks and a playoff in college football might be the wrong way to go since the NCAA is actually considered amatuer athletics. I heard an interview with Chan Gailey, the Georgia Tech head coach yesterday, regarding a playoff and he said that since the NCAA is an amateur organization, they shouldn't have the playoffs and they should eliminate the BCS because there is to much money and emphasis on the BCS games and not enough on the rest of the bowl games. He would like to see the system go back to the way it used to be with bowl games and 56 teams with the chance to play for something instead of basically amounts to 8 teams playing for a BCS berth. The writers and coaches would decide, upon completion of the bowl games, who the national chamion(s) would be. I have to say that there seems to be much more controversy since the BCS was established a few years ago than there was in the years preceeding it. I say eliminate the BCS because it does leave some conferences out of the picture and let the national championship be decided by the bowl games and polls. If there is controversy over that, so be it but it beats only a few schools making all the money while others are left out. Spread the wealth NCAA!!

USC is ranked #1.

The only Cal loss was to USC. They lost it on a 4th down play with a few seconds left when a pass to the end zone was just out of reach. Cal catches it-they are undefeated and win the Pac10.

149876[/snapback]

Maybe if everyone didn't feel guilty over the way USC was kept out of the title game last year, the BCS system wouldn't have been changed to allow the polls to have more of an impact in their team rankings. Without the weight of the polls, there's a chance that Auburn would be in the title game and Cal would have a BCS bid.

I usually don't care for what Trev Alberts has to say, but yesterday, he made a good point. He said that the preseason polls, the same polls that put Auburn #19 in the country to start the season, are a big problem. I agree.

If Cal isn't going to the Rose, then why is Michigan? I always thought that if it wasn't the championship game then the Pac10 and the Big 10 "champs" are locked into it. I'm a Michigan fan but I don't think they should go to the Rose if it isn't the "traditional" match-up...hell, there are plenty of teams with better records than the Wolverines and are more deserving of a "marquee bowl"...like Cal for instance. :doh:

that being said...GO BLUE!