UCLA: That's The Offense I THOUGHT The Bills Were Going To Play

yungmack

I don't know how many of you watched the UCLA-Texas game, but if did, and if you've followed the travails of the Bruins, then you know that they don't have a great QB (an understatement) but they do have some great RBs. The defense, the receivers, the O-line do not instill much confidence. So this season, Norm Chow instituted a variant of the "pistol offense," sometimes referred to as the "revolver." So on Saturday, the unranked and generally laughed-at "gutty little Bruins" went into Austin and humiliated a top ten ranked team. And they did it with...27 yards passing!!! and a phenomenal running game. I believe the most running yards Texas had given up this year was around 50 and UCLA went well over 200.

My point here is that this is similar to the offense I THOUGHT Gailey was going to run this year, considering the weakness at QB and the strength at RB, and question marks around the rest of the squad. Sure worked to perfection against Texas.

Any comments?

He tried this offense week 1 and it was terrible.

Maybe go back to it with Fitz?

We looked pretty good yesterday in more conventional sets.

I didn't mean to imply that you could get by with just a running game in today's NFL. But unless I completely misunderstood Gailey in the off season, I thought he was going to implement the "pistol offense" (which is the basic set UCLA uses). It made sense to me because the one truly strong area of the Bills offense was the RB corps. Also, similar to the Bills, the UCLA line was suspect, with key injuries as well.

UCLA is not a very good team and my guess is the Bruins won't come anywhere near winning the PAC 10 this year. They just have too many weaknesses. But Neuheisel and Chow seem to understand that and so are stressing their strong points. It's not enough to catapult them into the top 10 but it is enough to enable them to win a few and to be entertaining while doing it. The Bills could do worse than follow UCLA's example (which was what Gailey early on hinted anyway).