What is Worse: DUI v. Suspended License?

ExiledInIllinois

Car Crash

What a crazy story... Seems like a scam the police, and village/town/city are pulling.

Bureaucracy at its' worst. I have a new job where I have to deal with situations that I think are nuts, along this lines, on my employers part. Charging exorbinant fees for lost documents. I don't want to go into too many details, but, as employees we have no flexibility, even if common sense tells us we should waive a fee, or cut someone a break...I am amazed that some of my co-workers have no problem enforcing some of these things.

It sucks that they're going after the Mom here, but it obviously costs more then 550 to clean up the scene of an accident like this. Should the taxpayers pick up the cost when someone was driving drunk? I think the issue is just one of name, they should charge what it costs to remove the car and clean up the damage.

It sucks that they're going after the Mom here, but it obviously costs more then 550 to clean up the scene of an accident like this. Should the taxpayers pick up the cost when someone was driving drunk? I think the issue is just one of name, they should charge what it costs to remove the car and clean up the damage.

I know the situation first hand and the family vaguely. The accident happened in my village that I live in. The arrest for suspended license happened two towns over in Chicago Heights. I am almost positive if the situation happened in Steger (where the accident and death occurred NOT THE ARREST FOR SUSPENDED LICENSE) they would have never arrested her. Some towns will not haul one in for this right then and there... Just ticket. My town's PD is not that nit picky, they know driving drunk is far worst.

This is a major two part (by the officer and now the municipality) !@#$ up by Chicago Heights. Chicago Heights is a crime riddled and cash strapped town... You can tell what they were doing right when they hauled her in for suspended license... GET MORE CASH!

The question is that cops don't want people to DUI... What takes priority here. They went for the cash and a child is now dead. Again, if it happened in other towns, she would have been ticketed and allowed to be the designated driver. They did pull her first over for a turn signal violation. :rolleyes:

I don't know what the suspension was for... Please don't tell me it was for something harmless!