Not Kelsay's Fault

JPS

New England has a couple of talented tight ends and a smart coach. Do you think there's any chance they will try to isolate Kelsay in coverage the way Green Bay did with Jermichael Finley? When I saw Kelsay line up in front of Finley, I was yelling "NOOOO" at the screen. Finley ran free and basically uncovered for a 35 yard gain.

I point this out not to rip Kelsay, because he does what he does and he is what he is. I point this out because I am looking to see if our DC is smart enough to avoid that matchup tomorrow. Coordinators put their players in a position to succeed and cover faults. I'm really looking to see if George Edwards can do this.

In the mean time, I am claiming all NE tight ends off the waiver wire in FFL.

Slow defensive ends shouldn't be asked to cover fast tight ends.

Name me another NFL team that would start Kelsay at LB. Slow defensive ends shouldn't be in the NFL and I don't blame Kelsay, but him playing LB for Buffalo is all you need to know why the Bills are the laughingstock of the league and could go win-less this year.

Okay, so the Bills will have the first pick next year - right? If they think they know what they are doing having Kelsay playing LB, what makes you think they won't screw it up again in the draft and take another RB, CB or trade down?

Kelsay plays because the Bills are paying him so much money. When you give a guy that kind of big contract, there is an organizational pressure to keep him on the field and not "waste" the money.

It's very obvious he is a liability in coverage and a more natural 4-3 end than 3-4 linebacker (although he wasn't really good at DE either).

Okay, so the Bills will have the first pick next year - right? If they think they know what they are doing having Kelsay playing LB, what makes you think they won't screw it up again in the draft and take another RB, CB or trade down?

Any reasonable team says "thanks for the seven years of extremely mediocre play, Chris, but we've got a new scheme and have decided to go in a different direction."

Football Genius Buddy Nix had other ideas.

In the mean time, I am claiming all NE tight ends off the waiver wire in FFL.

There is probably not one Bill on anyone's FFL team (I had Evans a long time ago), but most people are not just trying to get TEs, but DSTs, and RBs in their lineups against the Bills. The Jets defense against the Bills? Circle that one.

Slow defensive ends shouldn't be asked to cover fast tight ends.

you must have  missed it, but Kelsay was trying to cover Donald Driver on one play as well.

There was a third play where Kelsay was supposed to cover Finley, but did not bother. Finley was literally 20 yards beyond the defense, but Rodgers was looking to the other side

My point in all this was more about the defensive coordinator than Kelsay. If you were running that defense, how would you coordinate it to give yourself a shot?

If I ever see Kelsay out in space again, Edwards just was out-thought on that play. The other thing severly handicapping the left side is Stroud getting blown off the ball. Since they just don't have the personnel, I'd like to see them play more 4-3 with Stroud and Troup on the inside, Kelsay and Edwards on the out. It was SO less embarrassing.

Get to the 3-4 next year when we have 2 professional linebackers on the squad.

you must have  missed it, but Kelsay was trying to cover Donald Driver on one play as well.

There was a third play where Kelsay was supposed to cover Finley, but did not bother. Finley was literally 20 yards beyond the defense, but Rodgers was looking to the other side

I hate to be one of the negative whiners around here, but, really??? Kelsay on Driver??? If that is so, doesn't that say something about the defensive coordinator?

My point in all this was more about the defensive coordinator than Kelsay. If you were running that defense, how would you coordinate it to give yourself a shot?

If I ever see Kelsay out in space again, Edwards just was out-thought on that play. The other thing severly handicapping the left side is Stroud getting blown off the ball. Since they just don't have the personnel, I'd like to see them play more 4-3 with Stroud and Troup on the inside, Kelsay and Edwards on the out. It was SO less embarrassing.

Get to the 3-4 next year when we have 2 professional linebackers on the squad.

Reminds me of the No-Huddle offense to start last season. Just taking an ostrich and painting it green and yellow doesn't make it a parrot.

Kelsay has no business playing OLB. Bench him and play Coleman or Maybin and lets take our lumps now. Why play someone who doesn't fit the long range plan? There's no way a DC can stop every potential mismatch. If we are going to suck let's at least suck while giving our future players some precious playing time. We'll much the better for it next year.

I picked up Aaron Hernandez and am starting him this week. Whitner is also bad at covering TEs, although swapping out Poz for Ellison helps our TE coverage a lot. The problem with Kelsay is that, as an OLB, he's extremely bad at both pass coverage and pass rush. He was unblocked on one of Rodgers' TD throws last week, but just wasn't fast enough to affect the throw. Granted, Rodgers is really good, but still, you'd think an unblocked OLB would be able to hurry the QB. Kelsay really does nothing well at the position he currently plays.

There is probably not one Bill on anyone's FFL team (I had Evans a long time ago), but most people are not just trying to get TEs, but DSTs, and RBs in their lineups against the Bills. The Jets defense against the Bills? Circle that one.

I doubt that the Jets DST are available in most fantasy leagues...