Publicity Hog McCain Strikes Again

Where in the world does this anti-Constitution blowhard get off trying to bull around a private business? If he thinks he should try to do that, let him show some orchids and get rid of the exemption, and then stop trying to polish his own beloved acorns. :D

148957[/snapback]

Good thing they've fixed the deficit and social security and Iraq is all finished. :devil:

Good thing they've fixed the deficit and social security and Iraq is all finished.  :devil:

148961[/snapback]

That's right, no one can have stand on multiple issues at the same time.

In case people haven't heard, the use of illegal (nevermind the legal ones) drugs in this country is fairly high. Some people want it to stop. What's wrong about someone wanting to flesh out people who use them and call for higher standards of testing for people who many kids look up to and emulate? If there's tacit approval from the gov't to allow it to happen, what kind of message does that give to kids and parents?

I'm glad he's speaking out to say 'Hey, drugs are bad.' Not many people who do that these days. In fact, using toxic substances has become a badge of honor in our society.

Topic drift strikes TSW once again...very early this time.  I guess McCain isn't the only acorn polisher out there... <_<

149032[/snapback]

Topic drift? Kids have died b/c they've used the same stuff their sports heros use. Last I checked, anabolic steroids are illegal drugs....

But yeah, if a private massage business is performing other less legitimate 'services' to their clients, that's none of the govt's concern? I guess Rudy polished the acorns too.

Where in the world does this anti-Constitution blowhard get off trying to bull around a private business? If he thinks he should try to do that, let him show some orchids and get rid of the exemption, and then stop trying to polish his own beloved acorns. <_<

148957[/snapback]

What's more, he wants to rush through Congress legislation concerning illegal substances in a single sport...but he's perfectly content to leave the pending Intelligence legislation stalled for the holiday break.

Really great sense of priority there, John. Screw national security...it's more important to give baseball rules and regulations the impetus of federal law.

I know its a fine line and all, but whats wrong with government sometimes.....sometimes...getting involved in such causes?

Im with UCJ.

149115[/snapback]

If it were a matter of criminalizing steroids (or criminalizing them more), I'd agree with you.

But everything I've heard from McCain on the subject sounds like he wants to criminalize baseball players on steroids. That, as I said, is no more than raising baseball's internal rules and regulations to the level of federal law. And THAT is an act of lunacy. What's next, a constitutional amendment forcing the National League to adopt the designated hitter rule?

If it were a matter of criminalizing steroids (or criminalizing them more), I'd agree with you. 

But everything I've heard from McCain on the subject sounds like he wants to criminalize baseball players on steroids.  That, as I said, is no more than raising baseball's internal rules and regulations to the level of federal law.  And THAT is an act of lunacy.  What's next, a constitutional amendment forcing the National League to adopt the designated hitter rule?

149154[/snapback]

I'd prefer the ammendment to force the AL to abandon the DH and play real baseball. <_<

In case people haven't heard, the use of illegal (nevermind the legal ones) drugs in this country is fairly high. Some people want it to stop. What's wrong about someone wanting to flesh out people who use them and call for higher standards of testing for people who many kids look up to and emulate? If there's tacit approval from the gov't to allow it to happen, what kind of message does that give to kids and parents?

I'm glad he's speaking out to say 'Hey, drugs are bad.' Not many people who do that these days. In fact, using toxic substances has become a badge of honor in our society.

148998[/snapback]

Nothing better than priorities.

Here's news: As long as there is big money to be made, there will be people willing to push the envelop to get a piece of it. I'm sure John McCain will have tons of success in this little endeavor, just like the "Drug War", Abstinence education, etc.

And we wonder why government can't handle their actual responsibilities.

FTR I don't have any problem with him speaking out, only that he wants to waste time on leftislation that could be better spent fixing problems that affect people on a day-to-day basis more than keeping swollen-headed idiots like Barry Bonds clean.

148998[/snapback]

See my posts. Having stances on multiple issues is fine...if your priorities aren't whacked all to hell, and if your higher priority issues aren't total arrant nonsense.

Where in the world does this anti-Constitution blowhard get off trying to bull around a private business? If he thinks he should try to do that, let him show some orchids and get rid of the exemption, and then stop trying to polish his own beloved acorns. <_<

148957[/snapback]

Your headline should read "Publicity Whore" because that is what McCain is.

But everything I've heard from McCain on the subject sounds like he wants to criminalize baseball players on steroids.  That, as I said, is no more than raising baseball's internal rules and regulations to the level of federal law.  And THAT is an act of lunacy.  What's next, a constitutional amendment forcing the National League to adopt the designated hitter rule?

149154[/snapback]

I have a lot of respect for McCain but I gotta say he is jumping in the boat before checking for leaks first on this one. Baseball needs to get its act together but I don't think this kind of thing is the answer. Why not just do what the NFL does? They test for steroids don't they?

I have a lot of respect for McCain but I gotta say he is jumping in the boat before checking for leaks first on this one.  Baseball needs to get its act together but I don't think this kind of thing is the answer.  Why not just do what the NFL does?  They test for steroids don't they?

149893[/snapback]

Steroids, secretly condoned by both owners and the players union, saved baseball. It was a dying sport after the strike. Suddenly there were genetic mutants hitting 60 plus homers.

I agree with stuckincincy. This is the sports equivalent of the "smoking ban." Though NOT an exact comparison, to me this strikes of a publicity hound politician posing as a "do gooder" while not addressing real issues.

What's more, he wants to rush through Congress legislation concerning illegal substances in a single sport...but he's perfectly content to leave the pending Intelligence legislation stalled for the holiday break. 

Really great sense of priority there, John.  Screw national security...it's more important to give baseball rules and regulations the impetus of federal law.

149109[/snapback]

Hastert and two other House Repubs are holding up the Intel bill b/c they want a "majority of the majority" to pass it. The votes have been there from almost every Dem and many Repubs; they're just weren't being allowed to vote for it by leadership. Issues with drivers licenses and illegal immigration which everyone else said is going to be on the agenda seperately in the next session. But I actually heard the House was going to vote on it today.

It's apparently enough of an issue for Pres. Bush to devote a few minutes of the State of the Union to it. And for all of Congress and guests to stand up and clap for it. Look here, I agree with Bush about something.

If McCain wants an anti-drug system for baseball exclusively, then I disagree with him. Others have said they would push for Olympic-style testing for all sports. And yaknow, this is all probably posturing. The leagues would likely rather take care of their own sports than be subject to federal law. Then again, they're already in bed together w/ antitrust regulation, stadium financing (would Congress actually have to approve it for the new D.C. baseball team?), etc.

We interupt these rants to bring you the following bit of reality:

McCain said that if pro sports don't do something, the government would have to get involved. I saw him say it, not "from what I've heard," which amounts to Hot Pocket soundbites. He said all pro sports, not just baseball, need to do something to ensure that players are not using performance enhancing - and illegal - substances, but he did not say he was proposing any legislation, provided the pro leagues do what's right. He also said as a sports fan, he'd like to see a testing program along the lines of the Olympics'.

You may now return to blasting of John McCain... :doh:

If McCain wants an anti-drug system for baseball exclusively, then I disagree with him.

149938[/snapback]

Direct quote, lifted from the transcript of the interview...

"I will introduce legislation in January that requires some kind of regimen for testing of Major League baseball players. And I believe that we can pass it through the Congress of the United States."

Direct quote, lifted from the transcript of the interview...

"I will introduce legislation in January that requires some kind of regimen for testing of Major League baseball players. And I believe that we can pass it through the Congress of the United States."

150114[/snapback]

Well, if his beef is solely with baseball, I would hope the scope gets broadened so more time and money isn't wasted when scandals are revealed in every other major sport. For reasons of enforcement, I'd rather not have the gov't be involved b/c WTF, clean your own house. This is posturing to show the stick to the players unions.

I just shake my head over this and say, 'Our sorry-ass little First-World problems....' For one week out of the year, everyone in this country should go without food, have their paycheck reduced to the wages an average Somali would earn, and live in the woods (some of us already do this last one willingly tho :doh:). The excess of this country is sickening. The desire for ever bigger muscles for sports stars through illegal drugs is simply a manifestation of it.

I just shake my head over this and say, 'Our sorry-ass little First-World problems....' For one week out of the year, everyone in this country should go without food, have their paycheck reduced to the wages an average Somali would earn, and live in the woods (some of us already do this last one willingly tho :P). The excess of this country is sickening. The desire for ever bigger muscles for sports stars through illegal drugs is simply a manifestation of it.

150170[/snapback]

Hey, look...we agree on something...

Betcha it'll never happen again. :doh: