WTF is Going on?

Dr. Trooth

First, Edwards gets named the starter, when the majority of the Bills fans knew he was a skirt wearing, brittle, checkdown Sally. For whatever reason, Chan has to know that first hand before he awards Edwards his rightful spot on the team, the pine. Then, last week, out of the blue, Chan starts Lynch at RB against the Packers. Either he wanted to see if Lynch really sucked that bad, or it was an obvious attempt to showcase him for trade bait.

Now, Chan, a coach that is supposedly an offensive genius who would ride one back the overwhelming majority of the time, suddenly does a 180 and goes RB by committee. Is this Chan's doing for real? Do zebra's change their stripes to polka dots? Someone at OBD has to be pulling Chan's strings. It's clearly obvious that Fred Jackson is easily the best RB on this team. He runs the ball... it's 4.5, he catches the ball, it's 8.1. Why the "F" make this BS out to be so complicated?

Fitzpatrick is clearly the best QB on the Bills roster. It's not even close. However, that ain't saying much because, in reality, Fitz is a career backup. That's how bad the other two QBs on the roster are, and Levi Brown must really suck if he couldn't at least make the PS with the Bills "rosterizing" the other 3 schleps.

So Chan dicks around with Edwards at QB for the first two weeks when everyone else knew Edwards was a POS and Fitz should have started from day 1. Now he's dicking around with Lynch in hopes that the Bills can get a 4th rather than a 5th when they send him packing instead of starting Action Jackson. Is it about winning, or is it about figuring out if certain players (that we all know suck) can play? If it's the latter, the Bills will be in perpetual rebuilding.

So, is the Edwards/Lynch crap Nix's or Wilson's idea? I certainly don't believe it's all Chan.

On top of this, I see at least one other team is playing games too. In Philly Andy Reid tells everyone Kolb is the man, then does a 180 and annoints Vick. So, is he shopping Vick now?

What the hell ever happened to starting and riding your best 22 players and let the chips fall where they fall instead of dicking around with all these useless possibilities that go nowhere?

What the hell ever happened to starting and riding your best 22 players and let the chips fall where they fall instead of dicking around with all these useless possibilities that go nowhere?

The problem is that when you look at the Bills roster it's feast or famine - usually it's famine. For the serious dearth of talent we have at some positions, we have other positions that are pretty loaded - RB and DB being prime examples. It's hard to play your best 22 guys when several of them play the same position. You think Freddy's the best RB - others think it's Spiller and I'm starting to think that the coaching staff likes the way Marshawn runs.

The useless posiibilities you speak about are a result if an unbalanced team - either having too little or too much talent at a position to have a clear direction on which way to go.

First, Edwards gets named the starter, when the majority of the Bills fans knew he was a skirt wearing, brittle, checkdown Sally. For whatever reason, Chan has to know that first hand before he awards Edwards his rightful spot on the team, the pine. Then, last week, out of the blue, Chan starts Lynch at RB against the Packers. Either he wanted to see if Lynch really sucked that bad, or it was an obvious attempt to showcase him for trade bait.

Now, Chan, a coach that is supposedly an offensive genius who would ride one back the overwhelming majority of the time, suddenly does a 180 and goes RB by committee. Is this Chan's doing for real? Do zebra's change their stripes to polka dots? Someone at OBD has to be pulling Chan's strings. It's clearly obvious that Fred Jackson is easily the best RB on this team. He runs the ball... it's 4.5, he catches the ball, it's 8.1. Why the "F" make this BS out to be so complicated?

Fitzpatrick is clearly the best QB on the Bills roster. It's not even close. However, that ain't saying much because, in reality, Fitz is a career backup. That's how bad the other two QBs on the roster are, and Levi Brown must really suck if he couldn't at least make the PS with the Bills "rosterizing" the other 3 schleps.

So Chan dicks around with Edwards at QB for the first two weeks when everyone else knew Edwards was a POS and Fitz should have started from day 1. Now he's dicking around with Lynch in hopes that the Bills can get a 4th rather than a 5th when they send him packing instead of starting Action Jackson. Is it about winning, or is it about figuring out if certain players (that we all know suck) can play? If it's the latter, the Bills will be in perpetual rebuilding.

So, is the Edwards/Lynch crap Nix's or Wilson's idea? I certainly don't believe it's all Chan.

On top of this, I see at least one other team is playing games too. In Philly Andy Reid tells everyone Kolb is the man, then does a 180 and annoints Vick. So, is he shopping Vick now?

Um, of course it's about figuring out who can play. That's what a new coach does when he takes over a team that sucks. What do you want him to do - build a foundation around crap or see with your own eyes what a man can do after you've taught him what you want him to do and how you want him to do it? If you don't know who responds to your way and how they perform when you're coaching them then how do you know who to keep and develop in a rebuilding project?? News flash - we're not good. We better progress and get better throughout the season but this is about seeing who stays and who's good enough to stay. You can't build through the draft in one draft.

The showcasing Lynch idea would make sense if the Bills were anxious to trade Lynch. But the media and some fans are the ones who are anxious to trade Lynch. Nix has decided its not a good deal to trade Lynch for a 4th round pick, and I agree with that. A 4th round pick is not going to get you generally some great player, and Lynch could be the dominant RB on many teams. A more likely explanation for Lynch playing so much against GB is that Gailey clearly said they needed to establish the running game, and with Lynch being the power runner of the 3, he would be the best shot to get some positive yards with a line that is not that strong. Also, everyone complained that Gailey used 3 RBs to much against Miami, not allowing any back to get some momentum. And he probably felt that way too.

Anyway, it is no clear thing that Jackson is the best RB and we should play him. IF Lynch is playing well, and that is an IF, he may have more sheer talent than Jackson.

... the majority of the Bills fans knew he [Edwards] was a skirt wearing, brittle, checkdown Sally.

Your point is well taken however, I would respectfully quibble with the "skirt wearing" thing. The women I know are tough as nails in or out of skirts. If you have a wife and kids and was there in the delivery room, you'd know what I mean. I don't at all mean to imply that your are in any way, shape or form being sexist, just pointing out that maybe the time has past for using women or woman-like behaviour as a universal metaphor for weakness. Frankly, if Edwards was as tough as the skirt wearers I know, he'd still be starting.

[ps: my ex-wife made me write this]

Edited by Mickey

While most fans have seen Trent Edwards and his pitiful play the past three years, I believe what Gailey has said about giving him a fresh start. He won the job in an open competition, which unfortunately didn't include any real games. He looked good in practice and the pre-season, but once the bullets were flying for real, it didn't take Gailey long to figure out that this was not the right guy for the job. As for Lynch, he was not fully healthy leading up to week one or he would have been the starter. Spiller will be used much as you saw on Sunday, on returns and in passing situations. He will get the occasional touch in the run game, but that will not be his primary role. As for Jackson, he still is not fully healthy. He got more reps on Sunday than he did the previous week and I expect that trend to continue. As his thumb gets better, he will see more reps. I believe the biggest problem with this offense has been addressed with the QB switch and we shall see. This team has a lot of holes and switching QB's will not fix them all, but I believe it is a step in the right direction.

If we played our best 22 players we would have 4 RBs, 1 G and 6 DBs on offense.