Anyone have a good program suggestion to convert from flac to mp3

The Poojer

i have a bunch of flac files that i want to put onto my new ipod, apple doesn't accept flac...i have a couple programs that i use, but i am limited in the number of files i can convert. Also a nice feature would be the ability to convert multiple files at once rather than dealing with them individually...oh yeah, free-ware is preferred..thanks in advance.

i have a bunch of flac files that i want to put onto my new ipod, apple doesn't accept flac...i have a couple programs that i use, but i am limited in the number of files i can convert. Also a nice feature would be the ability to convert multiple files at once rather than dealing with them individually...oh yeah, free-ware is preferred..thanks in advance.

What OS do you use?

On my PC (Windows XP), I decode .flac files using Winamp, then encode from .wav to .mp3 in iTunes.

On my Mac (OS X 10.6), I decode .flac files using xACT, and encode from .wav to .mp3 in iTunes.

Edit: I'll try to figure out where I found out how to do these things and post them here.

Edited by LeviF91

Why would you want to take a lossless file and turn it into a lossy one? Just go to AudioCircle.com and ask about converting your FLAC files into apple lossless files, that way you're not losing any data.

because up until reading this, i did not know of this option....thanks for the lead

Why would you want to take a lossless file and turn it into a lossy one? Just go to AudioCircle.com and ask about converting your FLAC files into apple lossless files, that way you're not losing any data.

because up until reading this, i did not know of this option....thanks for the lead

Edited by The Poojer

If anyone else is looking for a freeware flac to mp3 converter, I found one last night on the third try:

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/freeware/convert/flac-to-mp3

The first one I found was free to download, but you had to pay for a fully functional copy, and the second one I tried had viruses embedded. As far as I can tell this one works fine.

Oh okay...well unless you just don't care about the sound quality at all, I'd strongly recommend you keeping them in a lossless format. Apple Lossless is the best of both worlds...it is a lossless format and also takes up a little less space than the other lossless formats. I buy mp3s off Amazon when I can get them for cheap, but other than that I always upload CDs to my computer in apple lossless so that it remains CD quality. There are a lot of great audio forums, but I definitely recommend audiocircle.com for this information....I have learned a lot from them over the last few years.