Email is so yesterday....

Just Jack

I had to look up why telegrams said stop in stead of a period. And the reason is that with Morse Code it taks more actions to send a period than the word stop. And know you know....or was I the only one who didn't know?

Interesting.

You think Morse would have started with a period. One dot. Afterall, it is one dot. There are no symbols (at least I don't think so)... Why is "E" the one dot? One would think that you would at least need one symbol and that would be the period.

Interesting.

You think Morse would have started with a period. One dot. Afterall, it is one dot. There are no symbols (at least I don't think so)... Why is "E" the one dot? One would think that you would at least need one symbol and that would be the period.

Airplane radio navigation aids[VORs] are still identified by morse code. You tune in the frequency of the station you wish to fly to listen to the Morse code to be certain its the right one[many stations share frequency's].

Interesting.

"e" is the most frequently used, i.e., "common" letter in the English language.

The single dot is the quickest Morse code glyph to produce.

That's a match, when you're talking about using scarce resources to maximum efficiency.

Now there is Telegrams!

If they can just get the cost down, I could see it taking off like Twitter.

I wonder if Hiram Sibley and Ezra Cornell's heirs are getting a cut.

In many ways Twitter is the modern version of telegrams personally I do not see the point but many seem to love Twitter.

Maybe... But telegrams were sent for USEFUL information.

:P

And Nanker, I didn't realize "E" was the most used... I knew it was up there. I guess it makes sense. I guess tapping the word stop makes sense... It is clear and to the point and only 4 letters.

I had to look up why telegrams said stop in stead of a period. And the reason is that with Morse Code it taks more actions to send a period than the word stop. And know you know....or was I the only one who didn't know?

Two day old question, and Tom hasn't piped in with a detailed explanation on the etymology of the Morse code and a technical explanation of the missing period?

Slipping.

don't underestimate the power of twitter...in my new job, i am learning more than i ever cared to know about digital marketing and media...its fascinating how effective facebook, twitter etc....are in business today.....

Maybe... But telegrams were sent for USEFUL information.

:P

And Nanker, I didn't realize "E" was the most used... I knew it was up there. I guess it makes sense. I guess tapping the word stop makes sense... It is clear and to the point and only 4 letters.