Who would you take?

Conch

Kelly or Smith  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you draft first Jim Kelly or Bruce Smith?

In this day and age, you take the QB. 20 years ago maybe the decision is closer but with all the rule changes and emphasis made by the league over the past decade to favor the passing game, your team is dead in the water without a QB. Did anyone see that ridiculous roughing the passer called on the Ravens against Carson Palmer? Teams can barely play defense anymore.

Edited by Ozymandius

In this day and age, you take the QB. 20 years ago maybe the decision is closer but with all the rule changes and emphasis made by the league over the past decade to favor the passing game, your team is dead in the water without a QB. Did anyone see that ridiculous roughing the passer called on the Ravens against Carson Palmer? Teams can barely play defense anymore.

This.

It's a QB's league today. You have to take Kelly. And that's not a slight against Bruce.

It would be tempting to take the game changer on defense. Our offense has been pathetic due to poor QB play that it has to be no.1 on the Bills list. No matter how good the defense is you still have to score points. The Steelers D absolutely dominated the Titans this weekend. The Titans were still in the game at the end b/c Pitt has no QB right now.

As great as Bruce Smith was as a Buffalo Bill you have to understand he had a great setup in Buffalo with Tally behind him to make the tackle on the ball carrier and mostly his job was rush the passer. He made DC's game plan around him, and he was always double teamed and triple teamed

Jim Kelly was a QB with a LB mentality, tough as nails and would butt heads till someone was bleeding. I can recall one NFL coach stating he wished he had a QB like Kelly because his team had gone through 6 QB's in ten years. He called his own plays and was a field general out there. granted he had a HoF running back in Thurman Thomas and a should be HoF WR in Andre Reed.

I'd take the QB for the simple reason that he touches the ball on every offensive play and is more difficult to find a great one.

When you think about the confluence in time of all those great players the Bills had on the team in the late 80's and early 90's, it makes you think that may never happen again... until you look at the current Indy Colts and realize the guy who was able to do that in Buffalo has done it again

Wow, that's tough. QB is the most important position by far, but elite pass-rusher is probably 2nd or 3rd most important. I love Jimbo dearly, but at the end of the day, I've always considered Bruce to be the best DE in NFL history, whereas Kelly is probably outside of the top 10 QBs ever. With a tear in my eye, I take Bruce.