Trade a RB, sign Chad Simpson as the 3rd

Got_Wood

No team in this league needs 3 starting quality RB's on the roster. For all of those "what if one gets injured" people out there, it doesn't matter. No one has the luxury to worry about two RB's getting injured. What if Tom Brady got injured? The Pats are screwed. What if Adrian Peterson got injured? Minnesota is screwed. That's the nature of this league. Especially if you're a mediocre team, you can't afford to hold on to good players as insurance guys.

While we're at it, trade Edwards to Jacksonville for a 7th. Their backup McCown just went down for the season.

I posted this in the other trade ML thread but since you kept it more open ended by say trade "A" rb and started your own thread I just thought I would put it here as well.

It is so funny that Bills fans don't see the sense of keeping a good player.

He helps give us a better chance to win this year! Having a winning culture is much more important than a 1st round choice!!!!

AJ Hawk he is ok, even decent (although pretty invisible playing US last week) not as good as his draft status but the knock on him is he is an inside backer (and we need an outside backer more not more depth at inside in a couple of weeks) who isn't good at coverage.

ML and CJ and Fred are more than depth, we could run a 3 back set with them for one thing. We can use them as the feature back week to week. There is potential to do very good things with all three. That is not adding in the fact that we want to have a very good running attack here because our line is young and our QBs look like they are not good.

Spiller is a rookie, we don't know and we see flashes (in preseason) but he could be not so good or even bust still. FJ is 30ish, one of them could be hurt, hell we may want to resign ML at some point. I honestly don't understand what it means that "he is signed through 2012 but the last year is an option" (if anybody could clear that up). I know I couldn't expect that there is another player who it would be worth a tag or some way of keeping him through the contract if we need/want to.

Unless we can get very good almost star value out a team for a position of real need or a very good draft choice (which a 3rd is not and esply not if they bust) out of it. Making a trade for him makes no sense. Unless NO or SD want to give up a starting RT and a good pick (and both aren't stupid either).

If good backs are a dime a dozen as everyone thinks around here then let GB pick one of someones practice squad not us.

BTW I don't love ML since he really seems to not be happy here even tho we have put up with his thuggish ways but he can and is a good football player on a team that doesn't have many.

My last point would be that I don't like seeing our former players going on to great things for other teams and thinking 3 years later what if we still had them. They made the freaking probowl.

I thought this was a little different than the rumor thread. People seem to be worried about not having depth if we trade one RB. Well, we still have TWO really RB's and Chad Simpson played great in the preseason. At least good enough to be our 3rd stringer.

And seriously, we need to end Trent's tenure here. Windows of opportunity happen rarely in this league. The Jaguars are in need of a backup... send him over there.

No team in this league needs 3 starting quality RB's on the roster. For all of those "what if one gets injured" people out there, it doesn't matter. No one has the luxury to worry about two RB's getting injured. What if Tom Brady got injured? The Pats are screwed. What if Adrian Peterson got injured? Minnesota is screwed. That's the nature of this league. Especially if you're a mediocre team, you can't afford to hold on to good players as insurance guys.

Who says we have 3? Spiller looked promising in pre-season, but has yet to break a tackle when the games actually count. Fred Jackson is in his 7th year and will turn 30 in February. Chad Jackson couldn't beat out Joique Bell for a spot on our practice squad.

Now what was it you wanted to do again? :unsure:

While we're at it, trade Edwards to Jacksonville for a 7th. Their backup McCown just went down for the season.

You do realize that sometimes you can get a good player in the 7th round, so why would Jacksonville trade a 7th round pick for Edwards, when the Bills will probably outright release him just as soon as Gailey and Buddy get off the hooch? (There are better QBs to be had on Green Bay's practice squad.)

Who says we have 3? Spiller looked promising in pre-season, but has yet to break a tackle when the games actually count. Fred Jackson is in his 7th year and will turn 30 in February. Chad Jackson couldn't beat out Joique Bell for a spot on our practice squad.

Now what was it you wanted to do again? :unsure:

You do realize that sometimes you can get a good player in the 7th round, so why would Jacksonville trade a 7th round pick for Edwards, when the Bills will probably outright release him just as soon as Gailey and Buddy get off the hooch? (There are better QBs to be had on Green Bay's practice squad.)

I disagree on both of your statements.

1. Spiller hasn't proven anything yet, BUT we spent a high pick on him and by all indications he is going to be a very good player. Anything can happen, but he's got the wheels to make things happen. AND once again, Simpson is good enough to be a 3rd back. He didn't make the roster because we're overloaded at the position.

2. You can't find guys with Edwards experience in the 7th round. I would rather put Edwards in the game any day before some 7th rounder if the playoffs were on the line.

I disagree on both of your statements.

1. Spiller hasn't proven anything yet, BUT we spent a high pick on him and by all indications he is going to be a very good player. Anything can happen, but he's got the wheels to make things happen. AND once again, Simpson is good enough to be a 3rd back. He didn't make the roster because we're overloaded at the position.

Great - then let's dump one of our highly talented backs to make room for a less talented one that couldn't make our practice squad (and hasn't been picked up by any team with needs at the position), on the hope that all someone needs to do is flip a switch to turn Spiller's motor on. :wallbash:

2. You can't find guys with Edwards experience in the 7th round. I would rather put Edwards in the game any day before some 7th rounder if the playoffs were on the line.

I'm sorry - you're an intelligent guy and a great poster, but I have to go take something because I'm laughing so hard.

You did see Trent Edwards in the last two drives of our home opener - when one game was 'on the line' - yes? Dude's in his fourth year as a starting NFL QB and had ample opportunities to throw downfield, but the chicken-sh_t just couldn't figure out how.

Edwards? With the playoffs 'on the line'??? :w00t:

Edited by The Senator

Great - then let's dump one of our highly talented backs to make room for a less talented one that couldn't make our practice squad (and hasn't been picked up by any team with needs at the position), on the hope that all someone needs to do is flip a switch to turn Spiller's motor on. :wallbash:

I'm sorry - you're an intelligent guy and a great poster, but I have to go take something because I'm laughing so hard.

You did see Trent Edwards in the last two drives of our home opener - when one game was 'on the line' - yes? Dude's in his fourth year as a starting NFL QB and had ample opportunities to throw downfield, but the chicken-sh_t just couldn't figure out how.

Edwards? With the playoffs 'on the line'??? :w00t:

Ok, I'll respond to each of your comments:

1. We wouldn't be dumping one of our highly talented backs for Simpson. We would be trading one of our highly talented backs for another "highly talented" player at another position. Whether that be O-line, pass rusher, LB, etc. Big difference. We're hurting in many areas.

2. A backup is a backup. No team in this league can afford to lose one of their top guys. If your star player gets hurt, you're out of luck. As an example, if LeBron got hurt while he was on the Cavs, their season would be done. If Albert Pujols gets hurt for the Cards, they're in deep trouble. No professional team keeps star backup players as insurance. The Dolphins keep two good back on their roster because they use them on the field at the same time regularly in the wildcat. Three good RB's is not a smart place to be. Especially when you have som many other areas in need of help.

Thanks for the feedback, I think you've got legitimate thoughts on this situation.

Well there goes that idea. Looks like Washington snagged him. Chad Simpson would have been a nice 3rd guy on this team considering his kickoff return abilities.

I bet New England or Green Bay jump on Larry Johnson quickly now that he's on the market.