It's "Official", the Recession's Over

Chef Jim

During the 30s did people realize they were living in the Great Depression, or was it years later looking back that they realized they went thru a depression that was "great"?

Funny you should say this but I just hired a guy whose mom lived through the depression. He said her family was well off during the depression (which is interesting seeing they were African American [his words not mine]) and she was not even aware there was a depression going oin.

Funny you should say this but I just hired a guy whose mom lived through the depression. He said her family was well off during the depression (which is interesting seeing they were African American [his words not mine]) and she was not even aware there was a depression going oin.

The old saying - it's a recession if your neighbor loses his job it's a depression if you lose your job.

My mother's family was mostly farmers in the general W.N.Y area, and my Mom didn't have any hardship stories

My Father's family lived in more Urban areas and did more factory work, day labor, worked for the railroad and he saw and went through harsher things.

My grandmother grew up during the depression in Iowa; father dead, mother deaf. They ate the veggies they grew in the garden and the animals they raised in the yard.

Somehow they managed to survive even without the federal gov't declaring they were in 'poverty'.

My grandmother grew up during the depression in Iowa; father dead, mother deaf. They ate the veggies they grew in the garden and the animals they raised in the yard.

Somehow they managed to survive even without the federal gov't declaring they were in 'poverty'.

Their own farm? Their own vegetables? Their own food? Their own livestock?

Sounds precisely like the kind of elitist, angry white people that liberals hate the most.

I bet they went to church, too; God-fearing freaks that they were.

My mother said they rented rooms in there house to complete strangers for extra cash. It's amazing what people will do when the chips are down. We used to be a very resourceful country.

My mother said they rented rooms in there house to complete strangers for extra cash. It's amazing what people will do when the chips are down. We used to be a very resourceful country.

You guys are missing the whole point, the Democrats/CBO say the best way to stimulate the economy is through Food Stamps and extending the unemployment benefits.

I mean, do you want to kick it in reverse and stay in the ditch or continue down the path we are on? Give it another two more years folks, I promise it will work. So we must continue down the road to recovery..... The choice is yours

Edited by Magox

I mean, do you want to kick it in reverse and stay in the ditch or continue down the path we are on? Give it another two more years folks, I promise it will work. So we must continue down the road to recovery..... The choice is yours

So the choice is to stay in the ditch or drive it off the cliff in front of us?

Excellent choices.

Sounds precisely like the kind of elitist, angry white people that liberals hate the most.

And I bet they had a belligerent sense of entitlement about it being their food, and they had a right to keep it, too. Even though they were just lucky.

And had a shotgun over the fireplace.