3-4 scheme without correct personnel

SouthernMan

Sorry if this has been covered previously, but after watching yesterday's debacle, I couldn't help but wonder why on earth the Bills switched to a 3-4 scheme before they had the personnel to play it. Don't successful coaches generally try to fit the scheme to the players, rather than the other way around? They barely had enough decent linebackers with the 4-3. Well, actually, they didn't. They sure as hell don't have them in a scheme that calls for 4 linebackers (and ample supply of backups).

So instead, we have career defensivve end Chris Kelsey imitating a linebacker, and forced into pass coverage. I almost think it would make more sense to convert "Beast Mode" into a linebacker.

If the Bills were so hell bent on going 3-4 this season, why didn't they make a huge splash in the linebacker pool through the draft and free agency? Instead they wait until the 6th round before taking a linebacker and sign some scrubs to fill out their LB squad?

This could be a long season.

The only thing they are missing is OLB (which is very important) and them ignoring it is probably almost as bad as ignoring the oline/QB.

And this was probably easier to fix. They didn't have to get a dansby player... but a stop gap like jason taylor wouldn't have been bad. But the bills have enough players for the 3-4 to play that sceme. We have a NT in troup who is perfect for the 3-4, dwan edwards as DE who has played 3-4 before, and Davis who is a 3-4 inside LB. Poz is fine, but not stellar as an ILB (in any scheme). and So far, stroud seems to have made the switch to DE pretty well. And maybin has a better shot at OLB in 3-4 than he does at DE in 4-3

The only thing this team is lacking is depth at ILB and starting OLBs. If we had OLB that could give a pass rush, this defense would be pretty damn good. It is a shame, because even with a really good secondary, they aren't going to look as good. You can throw against a good secondary pretty easy when you have all day to throw.

The only thing as starters we are missing for the 3-4 is really the OLB... which is important. But I think we have more players for the 3-4 than we do the 4-3. The 4-3 isn't bad, but the way the bills did it wasn't right. That is why people were able to run the ball down our throats like it was nothing.

Then what type of defensive players do you sign/draft? Guys who can still play 4-3? Then next season you're in same spot. If Bills were a playoff team I'd agree, but I think it's better to take your lumps now and as was pointed out, defensively really only a couple good LB's away. Regardless how good/bad you play,switching now also gives a year of experience to the current players.

With all the other things going on, switch to 3-4 was ambitious this year, to say the least. Stroud is too slow to play DE in 3-4 and Williams is too small to play NT. Edwards is more of a run stopper, so that means no pressure from the line. Kelsay is a complete misfit in coverage and can only be effective in 4-3. Poz is capable but he's always hurt. The remaining LBs are journeyman, which again doesn't fit with 3-4 as the LB position is supposed to be the strength of the defense.

Sorry if this has been covered previously, but after watching yesterday's debacle, I couldn't help but wonder why on earth the Bills switched to a 3-4 scheme before they had the personnel to play it. Don't successful coaches generally try to fit the scheme to the players, rather than the other way around? They barely had enough decent linebackers with the 4-3. Well, actually, they didn't. They sure as hell don't have them in a scheme that calls for 4 linebackers (and ample supply of backups).

So instead, we have career defensivve end Chris Kelsey imitating a linebacker, and forced into pass coverage. I almost think it would make more sense to convert "Beast Mode" into a linebacker.

If the Bills were so hell bent on going 3-4 this season, why didn't they make a huge splash in the linebacker pool through the draft and free agency? Instead they wait until the 6th round before taking a linebacker and sign some scrubs to fill out their LB squad?

This could be a long season.

Agree that we do not yet have the personnel for the 3-4 and most teams that run it effectively have a stud NT and some very good LBs.

You saw Green Bay throw long to the TE on 3rd and 2 I assume? We had Kelsey out there, thinking it would be a running down. They took advantage of it. Expect to see a lot more of that. Andra Davis is another that is very weak at pass coverage and he is actually an experienced 3-4 backer.

None of the front 3 are really good 3-4 lineman and we do not a pass rusher LB. Hence, no pressure on the QB.

It will take a few more drafts to acquire the talent to play a good 3-4. I guess they want to take their lumps now?

The only thing they are missing is OLB (which is very important) and them ignoring it is probably almost as bad as ignoring the oline/QB.

I think they thought they had that in Maybin. Now they realize that he is nothing but a skinny turd with a stupid haircut that stole $20 Million.