Future of the Franchise

Red

(I borrowed this from another thread that I responded to).

I've realized something after watching the past 2 games. Yes, we will be in for a long season. However, there is something about this year that I find refreshing.

We are bad. Really bad. A decade of abysmal drafts and recommendations by Modrak, terrible free agent signings by Guy, along with the carousel of coaches and GM's we have had this decade have long ago taken their toll.

But teams of this decade have somehow been able to fool a good portion of us faithful into thinking that there just might be some kind of chance of winning.

What I find refreshing is that these Bills don't do that in the least. We know they are most likely going to lose. There are no smokescreens and mirrors. No nail-biting Jauron bungled losses.

Now I know that I can watch to just see the Bills. I don't have much to look at, and I don't see any real signs on the horizon on a consistent basis worthy of getting excited for the future. Sure, Wood and Spiller are really good. Our defensive secondary. Other than that?

Where are our bright spots?

The competitive future of this franchise is a loooooooooooooooong way off.

I could accept the Bills stinking if they'd have set a foundation for the future but they didn't - OL was not improved in fact bringing in Green over Scott has made the OL worst. My first four picks would have been OL- until your OL is adequate you can't play in the NFL- going to grab a franchise QB in the next draft? good luck not getting his confidence, timing, and body destroyed.

The games always expose a bad team that falls back on talk/hype to manufacture hope. The past 4 seasons provided enough winning to keep some interested, but this year is a completely different animal.

And that's what I think was so misleading.

Each year, I would sit down expecting some sort of competitive edge, record, etc. This led me, as a fan, to be seriously let down when they consistently lost in the closing minutes of games, lost just enough bad games they should have won (last years 6-3 loss to Cleveland, for example) to keep them out of any kind of playoff berth. It assaulted my pride of being a Bills fan, and I began to question why I would subscribe to a horrible team.

This year makes no attempt to claim anything. For some reason, this does not frustrate me as much as the Mauron teams did.

What does bother me, is the extreme lack of anything resembling any sort of future for the franchise. For instance: if they were a bunch of young players in need of experience, but with all kinds of talent, I could watch with the hopes I will see glimpses of something great for next season. There is nothing like that on this team. Even Spiller is bottled up. He can't get open space.

This is bigger than Edwards. The offensive line has a large stake in it, but I think that the receivers are also a big part of the problem. I like the fight in Parrish. But I'm starting to sour on Evans. He is not a #1 receiver. He's a really good #2, but he never does the things necessary nor takes over a game like a true #1 receiver does. I look at an Anquan Boldin as an example.

We are indeed in trouble. I'm thinking 5 years (atleast).