Mock draft

Orton's Arm

There's no time like the present for a mock draft! :) Bearing that in mind, I came up with the following:

1. QB

2. RT

3. LB

4 - 7 depth players/ ST. I'd like to come away with at least one OL and at least one LB from this part of the draft.

My thoughts on the above positions:

QB: Unless your defense is as good as the Ravens of 2000, it's very tough to win a Super Bowl without first-rate play from your QB. Trent Edwards was drafted in the third round, and seems to be giving us about what you'd expect from a QB taken in the third or fourth round of the draft. Under the right circumstances he could be a decent backup, but I don't see him as ever becoming a top-10 starter. A QB like Ponder or Luck could give us one of the puzzle pieces we need to be a legitimate Super Bowl threat.

RT: At least at the end of week 1, RT seemed to be the weak link on the OL. Round 2 seems like about the right place to find your starting RT. No matter what happens elsewhere on the line, it would be nice to have this position shored up.

LB: Obviously, our defense needs more help than just this. But it's not like we're going to fill all our holes in just one offseason. Adding a solid football player/solid starter to our LB corps will certainly go a long way toward improving what is currently our defense's biggest weakness.

I didn't choose a LT in this draft because I figure that you really need to use a round 1 pick on one to get a good one, and we really need to use that first round pick on a QB. Also, Bell played better than I'd expected him to in the first game. There's at least a chance we can get by with Bell at LT for a while if we have to.

A QB like Ponder or Luck could give us one of the puzzle pieces we need to be a legitimate Super Bowl threat.

I don't think Ponder or Luck are the answer and I think both will be overpaid draft busts next year. I think we should go after Ryan Mallett this dude plays in the SEC and has a cannon for an arm. Would be able to throw in Buffalo.

A QB like Ponder or Luck could give us one of the puzzle pieces we need to be a legitimate Super Bowl threat.

I don't think Ponder or Luck are the answer and I think both will be overpaid draft busts next year. I think we should go after Ryan Mallett this dude plays in the SEC and has a cannon for an arm. Would be able to throw in Buffalo.

Here's an article about Ponder. It's not as good as the article I was looking for, but it's worth reading. It's also worth noting that Ponder is the top-rated QB according to the National Scouting Service. Many NFL teams use National to help with their scouting.

The ranking of Ponder as the #1 QB is definitely an eye opener. Even though the service doesn't rank any juniors or sophomores' date=' there by rendering Ryan Mallett and Andrew Luck ineligible, I still would have thought he would've been in the teens at best.

The numbers on the right indicate the grade each player received from national. Anything above a 6.5 would be considered "Very Good" to "Can't Miss".[/quote']

Ponder's grade is a 6.7.