The Economic Stimulus to Nowhere

KD in CA

All of us that are appalled by this crap should post it on as many social networking sites that we can to help make the November Tsunami even bigger.

The thing about Tsunami's is after the wave crashes ashore, it gets sucked back out to sea.

IMO your boys are playing it wrong. A Republican takeover of the House will all but guarantee Obama of his re-election. Dude is one helluva populist demagogue and a GOP House will gift wrap him the antagonist he needs in 2011-2012. However if the Democrats maintain control of the House, Obama will be stuck running the same campaign against George W Bush that he's been running for 3 years.

Edited by /dev/null

The thing about Tsunami's is after the wave crashes ashore, it gets sucked back out to sea.

IMO your boys are playing it wrong. A Republican takeover of the House will all but guarantee Obama of his re-election. Dude is one helluva populist demagogue and a GOP House will gift wrap him the antagonist he needs in 2011-2012. However if the Democrats maintain control of the House, Obama will be stuck running the same campaign against George W Bush that he's been running for 3 years.

I disagree. Nothing can save Barry now.

I actually agree with this, except that after seeing the unbelieveably embarrassing strides he's made in two years, I'm not sure we wait. I honestly fear what he will do with full control for another two years. Nothing everything can be reversed.

Article was clear as mud- for example "$9 million to install new LED lightbulbs in traffic lights at 1,800 intersections. Less the $228,000 in labor costs associated with the project, that's nearly $5,000 per location to change lightbulbs."

$228,000/ 1,800 = labor cost of ($126.66) a location - that don't make a lick of sense, at the least you are going to have a four man crew (1 scissor lift, 1 large truck, 2 traffic control) and probably 4-6 hours a site with setup and clean up. 16-24hrs of labor minimum, are they saying they're paying $7.90 -$5.27 hr wages and benefits? they must have illegals do all the work.

$5,000 per location sounds high but it would depend on how many Lamps you are switching out per site- LED traffic lamps range $30-40 at the low end to $90-120 at the high end with the difference being longevity 5-7 years vs 20-25 years, incandescence traffic lamps last about a year, both high end and low end LEDs use about 1/10th the energy of a incandescence bulb.

generally payback time is 2-3 years

Article was clear as mud- for example "$9 million to install new LED lightbulbs in traffic lights at 1,800 intersections. Less the $228,000 in labor costs associated with the project, that's nearly $5,000 per location to change lightbulbs."

$228,000/ 1,800 = labor cost of ($126.66) a location - that don't make a lick of sense, at the least you are going to have a four man crew (1 scissor lift, 1 large truck, 2 traffic control) and probably 4-6 hours a site with setup and clean up. 16-24hrs of labor minimum, are they saying they're paying $7.90 -$5.27 hr wages and benefits? they must have illegals do all the work.

$5,000 per location sounds high but it would depend on how many Lamps you are switching out per site- LED traffic lamps range $30-40 at the low end to $90-120 at the high end with the difference being longevity 5-7 years vs 20-25 years, incandescence traffic lamps last about a year, both high end and low end LEDs use about 1/10th the energy of a incandescence bulb.

generally payback time is 2-3 years

Gee, if only someone took the time to understand all of this, and explain all of this, at the time the bill was signed, instead of waving it frantically in the air yelling "If we don't pass this, unemployment will exceed 8%!!! Quick, sign the bill! Spend the money! If we don't, things will get really bad. Unemployment could go as high as, oh, I don't know...9.6%!!!!"

This is why no one takes liberals seriously any more. You move the chains when no one is looking, and when you can't justify your own incompetence, you yell something connerific like "If you just count the number of lamps installed, it'll make sense in another two or three years."

I want to believe we're a great nation, but I keep getting hung up on all the idiocy it took to put people this retarded in the WH.

Edited by LABillzFan

Gee, if only someone took the time to understand all of this, and explain all of this, at the time the bill was signed, instead of waving it frantically in the air yelling "If we don't pass this, unemployment will exceed 8%!!! Quick, sign the bill! Spend the money! If we don't, things will get really bad. Unemployment could go as high as, oh, I don't know...9.6%!!!!"

This is why no one takes liberals seriously any more. You move the chains when no one is looking, and when you can't justify your own incompetence, you yell something connerific like "If you just count the number of lamps installed, it'll make sense in another two or three years."

I want to believe we're a great nation, but I keep getting hung up on all the idiocy it took to put people this retarded in the WH.

Well Obama would never had made it without the Bush/Cheney disaster and where was your (Republican) outrage when Bush and Cheney were running up the debt or shredding the Constitution- except for Pat Buchanan and Ron Paul I didn't see it- my point with the article is that it sounds outrageous but it lacks enough information to make sense of it. The Devils in the details, 70 million for 7 jobs WTF does that mean- are 7 guys getting 10 million each, are they buying materials at hugely inflated prices, has there been theft, are they contracting out to private firms and that doesn't count as job creation or saving jobs, have they received money from the Federal government and just haven't decided on how to spend it, - if I knew the details maybe I'd be outraged but those details are not there so anyone outraged is just weak minded and easily manipulated.

Step 1: Blame Bush.

Well Obama would never had made it without the Bush/Cheney disaster

Step 2: Mock conservatives for not blaming Bush to justify your belief that since they never spoke up, they should never speak up.

where was your (Republican) outrage when Bush and Cheney were running up the debt

Step 3: "I can't help it if you can't understand."

it sounds outrageous but it lacks enough information

Step 4: Attack and demonize

anyone outraged is just weak minded and easily manipulated.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Its amazing to me how predictable people like you and Conner really are. Again, this is why no one takes liberals seriously any more. All the idiocy is front and center for everyone to see now. It's time to get a new playbook, Mr. Jauron.

Well Obama would never had made it without the Bush/Cheney disaster and where was your (Republican) outrage when Bush and Cheney were running up the debt or shredding the Constitution- except for Pat Buchanan and Ron Paul I didn't see it- my point with the article is that it sounds outrageous but it lacks enough information to make sense of it. The Devils in the details, 70 million for 7 jobs WTF does that mean- are 7 guys getting 10 million each, are they buying materials at hugely inflated prices, has there been theft, are they contracting out to private firms and that doesn't count as job creation or saving jobs, have they received money from the Federal government and just haven't decided on how to spend it, - if I knew the details maybe I'd be outraged but those details are not there so anyone outraged is just weak minded and easily manipulated.

Listen, the bill was sold as a stimulus bill. A bill that would put people to work, not an energy efficiency bailout bill for LA/jobs program for Chinese light bulb makers. Why do you guys always have to try to twist the subject in order to justify your goals?

A lot of these jobs that re being claimed as stimulus jobs aren't. In Oakland, CA, they are building a fourth bore for the Caledecott tunnel. It has three now and the center one switches direction depending on the time of day. It has been discussed for over a decade. This was financed by an increase in the tolls on the seven bridges in the SF Bay area and a bond measure passed in 2006. It just happened to start a few months ago.

The seismic retrofit of the Bay Bridge (the one that had a part collapse in the 89 quake) is also on the list. That has been occurring for years.

They are taking any big projects underway now and have been claiming them as stimulus projects.