Want to learn how to pick locks?

Fezmid

There's this guy on Kickstarter who is starting his own company that designs lockpicks. He's one of the best pickers in the world, competes in competitive lockpicking (who knew such a thing existed?).

Anyway, he's posted tons of information on lockpicking, and if you back the project you'll get some nice picks and more documentation.

Figured some people might be interested. I know I am. :)

There's this guy on Kickstarter who is starting his own company that designs lockpicks. He's one of the best pickers in the world, competes in competitive lockpicking (who knew such a thing existed?).

Anyway, he's posted tons of information on lockpicking, and if you back the project you'll get some nice picks and more documentation.

Figured some people might be interested. I know I am. :)

FYI, possession of lockpicks in some states/jurisdictions is a crime.....

Yup, there's a link on one of the updates that has information on every state. For almost every state, it's only a crime if there's intent.

http://lockwiki.com/index.php/Legal_issues

Intent is not hard to prove, unless you're working as a locksmith (or in Law Enforcement).

Most manufacturers of lockpicks will not send them to you unless you can prove that you are one of the above (locksmith or LE).

Edited by BB27

Intent is not hard to prove, unless you're working as a locksmith (or in Law Enforcement).

Most manufacturers of lockpicks will not send them to you unless you can prove that you are one of the above (locksmith or LE).

Or interested in competitive lock picking.

I just care about the judge.

Yeah, getting arrested, sitting in jail, having to put up bail, etc, etc, has nothing to do with it.....

You know you don't see the judge right away? It could be a couple of days......

I'm just trying to do a nice thing here and warn people that you could get in trouble for having lockpicks on your person....

Edited by BB27

Yeah, getting arrested, sitting in jail, having to put up bail, etc, etc, has nothing to do with it.....

Minor inconvenience. Would you confiscate the competitive lock picking competition pamphlets I conveniently have in my possession as well?

You know you don't see the judge right away? It could be a couple of days......

I'm just trying to do a nice thing here and warn people that you could get in trouble for having lockpicks on your person....

I know....

Minor inconvenience. Would you confiscate the competitive lock picking competition pamphlets I conveniently have in my possession as well?

The point I was trying to make, before descending into a lengthy discussion about it, was that it MAY BE ILLEGAL TO POSSESS LOCK PICKING TOOLS regardless of your reason for doing so. IF the law in your jurisdiction says, "illegal to possess lock picking tools unless operating as a recognized/licensed locksmith or while employed as a law enforcement officer in the performance of official duties" or something like that, you could be arrested for possessing them regardless as to whether or not you were going to the lock picking competition.

Just saying......

Yeah, tell that to the cop who stops you, I'm sure he'll give you the benefit of the doubt, I know I would. :lol:

Wow, if you're a cop, you seem to have quite a crappy attitude. "I know I would :lol:" Nice. <_<

I hope you realize that it's much easier to break into a house using your foot through the door or a rock through a window than to sit at the front door and pick the lock. Actually, it's even easier to just go through a door or window that someone didn't lock - which from reading the local crime section of my paper seems to be how most break-ins occur.

I'm not disagreeing with your initiate statement - it's very valid. But the above comment went over the line, IMHO.

The point I was trying to make, before descending into a lengthy discussion about it, was that it MAY BE ILLEGAL TO POSSESS LOCK PICKING TOOLS regardless of your reason for doing so. IF the law in your jurisdiction says, "illegal to possess lock picking tools unless operating as a recognized/licensed locksmith or while employed as a law enforcement officer in the performance of official duties" or something like that, you could be arrested for possessing them regardless as to whether or not you were going to the lock picking competition.

Just saying......

Fair enough.....but like Fez said, the info on each area is posted and mention "intent" not just possessing. I mean, you could get me on similar charges for carrying a screwdriver if you can prove intent.

Wow, if you're a cop, you seem to have quite a crappy attitude. "I know I would :lol:" Nice. dry.gif

I hope you realize that it's much easier to break into a house using your foot through the door or a rock through a window than to sit at the front door and pick the lock. Actually, it's even easier to just go through a door or window that someone didn't lock - which from reading the local crime section of my paper seems to be how most break-ins occur.

I'm not disagreeing with your initiate statement - it's very valid. But the above comment went over the line, IMHO.

I believe the laughing face makes it clearly a joke.......... and I think you have taken it out of context.

I don't want my comments to be taken as a critique of your initial post where you clearly find lockpicking interesting, or to imply that in someway you might be a crook who would use lockpicks to further your criminal enterprise,,,,,,

I was trying to tell people that although interesting, and perhaps kind of fun to use, lockpicks COULD BE ILLEGAL TO POSSESS even if you are not using them to burglarize/steal.

I hope I have sufficiently explained myself . . . . . . . .

Edited by BB27

I believe the laughing face makes it clearly a joke.......... and I think you have taken it out of context.

I don't want my comments to be taken as a critique of your initial post where you clearly find lockpicking interesting, or to imply that in someway you might be a crook who would use lockpicks to further your criminal enterprise,,,,,,

I was trying to tell people that although interesting, and perhaps kind of fun to use, lockpicks COULD BE ILLEGAL TO POSSESS even if you are not using them to burglarize/steal.

I hope I have sufficiently explained myself . . . . . . . .

And I agree with your bolded comment 100%. It was a very important post to make, as there are a handful of states that make the owning of lockpicks illegal outright.

But I don't see how I took your laughing out of context:

"Yeah, tell that to the cop who stops you, I'm sure he'll give you the benefit of the doubt, I know I would. :lol:"

That clearly states you would not give someone the benefit of the doubt if you were a cop who stopped someone with lockpicks.

And I agree with your bolded comment 100%. It was a very important post to make, as there are a handful of states that make the owning of lockpicks illegal outright.

But I don't see how I took your laughing out of context:

"Yeah, tell that to the cop who stops you, I'm sure he'll give you the benefit of the doubt, I know I would. :lol:"

That clearly states you would not give someone the benefit of the doubt if you were a cop who stopped someone with lockpicks.

If it was/ is illegal to possess the lockpicks regardless of the reason for possessing them, there is no benefit of the doubt, IT IS ILLEGAL. :wallbash:

I don't have time for this......

If it was/ is illegal to possess the lockpicks regardless of the reason for possessing them, there is no benefit of the doubt, IT IS ILLEGAL. :wallbash:

Going to nab yourself some lock pickers. :lol:

Some of you guys making a career transition into burglary?

What do you mean, transition. :lol:

If I am going to break in anywhere.....I prefer to use my keyboard. :devil: (kidding)

You don't have time for this because you're obviously wrong The thread went like this:

BB27: FYI, possession of lockpicks in some states/jurisdictions is a crime.....

Fez: For almost every state, it's only a crime if there's intent.

BB27: Intent is not hard to prove, unless you're working as a locksmith (or in Law Enforcement).

thebug: Or interested in competitive lock picking.

BB27: Yeah, tell that to the cop who stops you, I'm sure he'll give you the benefit of the doubt, I know I would. :lol:

So we obviously were already aware of the fact that it's completely illegal in a few states and were talking about the fact that it's not illegal in MOST states unless there's intent. You're the one who said you would lock someone up regardless of intent and make them sit in a cell for potentially a few days before seeing a judge, even when no crime was committed. <_<

You don't have time for this because you're obviously wrong The thread went like this:

BB27: FYI, possession of lockpicks in some states/jurisdictions is a crime.....

Fez: For almost every state, it's only a crime if there's intent.

BB27: Intent is not hard to prove, unless you're working as a locksmith (or in Law Enforcement).

thebug: Or interested in competitive lock picking.

BB27: Yeah, tell that to the cop who stops you, I'm sure he'll give you the benefit of the doubt, I know I would. :lol:

So we obviously were already aware of the fact that it's completely illegal in a few states and were talking about the fact that it's not illegal in MOST states unless there's intent. You're the one who said you would lock someone up regardless of intent and make them sit in a cell for potentially a few days before seeing a judge, even when no crime was committed. dry.gif

I never said I would lock someone up regardless of intent, you did.

You may have been talking about the fact that it is not illegal in MOST states (your words) unless there is intent. I was trying to make the point that it MIGHT BE ILLEGAL SIMPLY TO POSSESS LOCKPICKING TOOLS, and that the cop would not care why you possessed them.

Can I say this any clearer?

I love how you quoted only some of my answers, not the ones where I explained it. You work at the Boston Globe? New York Times? Probably read them....