Seriously Could You Do This?

truth on hold

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a former high ropes course instructor, yes I could do it... But not like they show there. Without using lobster claws is suicide in my eyes. I'd climb with a redundant safety system, not semi-freely as they show in the video. And for the record, I'm WAY afraid of heights. I just have extreme amounts of faith in climbing safety systems.

I think I'd be all right until about the base of the antenna. That last 50' and the climb on top of the beacon are nuts.

Short story: When I was a dumbass kid I climbed one of those towers (2 parallel towers, probably only about 150' high and 20' apart, with a couple connecting beams between them to sit on) with some beers one late night so a buddy and I could sit up there and sip. Before we came down I decided to go the rest of the way up and take the red light cover as a souvenir. While I was pulling on it I somehow shattered the bulb underneath and got a massive spark shower right in the face. :lol:

Well a million's a lot. think I'd give it a shot. but I'd also do plenty of preparation. Odds are in your favor of making it ... its as much mental as anything, if you're in good shape physically

You had me until the last part.LOL! I'm not quite as nimble as I used to be. Getting old is a B word!

What would suck is falling it would take a long time to get down. falling from 100 feet youre a goner too, but at least theres a lot less fright time on the way down ... LOL

Reminds me of that old joke, whats the last thing that goes through a bugs brain when he hits a windshield?........his ass! :thumbdown::thumbsup::doh:

Having climbed all over the USA, I have to say that was insane. Freaked me out watching him climbing free up that last ladder to the top of the antenna. I used to free climb ice climbs all the time and it never gave me a problem, but I think climbing that tower might make me lose it. Imagine the crater if you fell from the top. There wouldn't be much left..... :sick:

i can't even watch it....gives me the willies big time....

I'm almost in the same boat as you. That freaked me the hell out, and it's only a video.

The physical act of climbing it? No problem. Getting me more than 30 feet off of the ground with no safety harness? Not a chance in hell.