OK Audiophiles

dib

I know it's ancient technology, but I have some Bills song mixes on tape and I'd like to transfer them to CD (dont own an iPOd). IS there a device on the market that will accomplish this feat?

Not sure about a device designed specifically for that. Most recording studios might be hard up enough to do this for relatively cheap. If you can't find one that will do it, message me, I have the tools.

Not sure about a device designed specifically for that. Most recording studios might be hard up enough to do this for relatively cheap. If you can't find one that will do it, message me, I have the tools.

I have a bunch I want to transfer, some historical recordings from D-Day, etc. Thats why I want to be able to do it at home.

Do you still have a working cassette player? Your best option might be to get a low cost interface to record into your computer. You can then edit and burn CDs from the computer. I'm not sure how tech-savvy you are, but that's how I would go about it.

Something like this: http://shop.vendio.com/progearwarehouse/item/2050910010/?s=1284537362

Dib, your best bet to do this is to download Audacity, connect a walkman/cassette player to your soundcard in the mic port, and record each song one by one. Or you could record each side and then cut and paste the sound files into individual wavs. You may want to use a mono 1/8" jack cable to do the recordings, unless your sound card is capable of recording in stereo. A mono jack will have one plastic band on the metal plug, whereas a stereo jack will have 2. If you have the option to, try it with both and see which produces a better sound file. Option 3...make me a copy and I'll take some time in my studio and try to get you a good reproduction.

Dib, your best bet to do this is to download Audacity, connect a walkman/cassette player to your soundcard in the mic port, and record each song one by one. Or you could record each side and then cut and paste the sound files into individual wavs. You may want to use a mono 1/8" jack cable to do the recordings, unless your sound card is capable of recording in stereo. A mono jack will have one plastic band on the metal plug, whereas a stereo jack will have 2. If you have the option to, try it with both and see which produces a better sound file. Option 3...make me a copy and I'll take some time in my studio and try to get you a good reproduction.

This will work.

Something like this will help the process, though:

http://www.ionaudio.com/urecord

From that same company....

TAPE EXPRESS PLUS (It's cheaper through Amazon) You do need iTunes to use it though according to the reviews.

If you don't have a tape deck, and only want to digitize taped audio, that's the better choice. But the U-Record does more things (you need a tape deck, turntable, etc.)

Thanks guys, all good ideas. I'm going to sift through them and keep looking. It's going to be a pain in the butt to transfer in real time.

You can take them somewhere and get them transferred relatively inexpensively. I had to do about 20 tapes, so I did them myself while watching TV, over the course of a week or two. But if you have a buttload, you might be better off paying someone.

You can take them somewhere and get them transferred relatively inexpensively. I had to do about 20 tapes, so I did them myself while watching TV, over the course of a week or two. But if you have a buttload, you might be better off paying someone.

Thanks Dean, I have a tape deck, I think there's a CD recorder in my future, that way I can download tapes and albums to CD

Thanks Dean, I have a tape deck, I think there's a CD recorder in my future, that way I can download tapes and albums to CD

It's getting harder to find standalone CD recorders today. You'd also need different CD's (Music CDRs vs. regular computer style CDRs.) Another drawback is that if anything screws up at any time during the recording process, the CD you were recording is junk and you have to start again from the beginning. I used to have a Sony CD recorder and would make compilation CDs from vinyl. I can't tell you how many times I would be doing the last song of a 75 minute CD and get the dreaded "error" message, meaning that several hours of work just went down the porcelain bowl.

I now use an Alesis Masterlink, which records analog (or digital) sources onto a hard drive, lets me split/index songs and when everything is cool reliably burns them onto a computer CDR. It's like using a tape deck.

• 1 month later...