Dal/Wash/NO, and Minn Offense was bad as well

buffalopdc

I'm not panicking. Like others on this board that point to the adjustments made after the preseason opener, I think Gailey & Co. will make the necessary adjustments, especially on offense. Hopefully they will discover that the TE can catch passes under NFL rules.

I don't read much into the first game of the season not only based on previous Bills experiences (31-0) but that it's the first roll out for offense and defense scheme league wide. Now there will be tape to watch of all the schemes, just not the vanilla in the preseason.

If you are a Seahawks fan, don't get those Super Bowl tickets yet. I think the Seahawks were greatly helped by the lousy play of SF's offense, but also, there isn't much film on Carroll's schemes. Now that there is, expect week 2 to look a lot different for Seattle.

If you are a fan of the Colts, I'd be worried somewhat. Manning can't save the entire team, every week if there's no defense.

Anybody want to pick up Alex Barron? I'm sure he'll be a free agent by 4pm today. ;-)

Actually, when they tally up Ws and Ls, there really isn't a difference at all, especially if your opponent isn't scoring either.

Which teams do you think have the best chance to do the things over the course of the season that you need to do on offense to win?

- Sustain Drives

- Win the Time of Possession Battle

- Convert 3rd downs

- Score Points

Don't forget, Miami dropped two gift wrapped pick-6's and also had an underthrown and dropped TD pass to Marshall. That's 14-21 points right there. Other opponents won't drop those.

That's the real scary part. The fish tried really hard to give us that game. The 5 point loss is misleading.

Agreed with OP. The Bills failed to do the two things that they need to fix in the off season. Run the ball effectively and stop the Run. The bills put themselves in 3rd and long too many times, even with good field position. The defense kept giving Brown and Williams 5 yards on 1st down. Chad Henne had to just manage the game. I wish the Bills would have let the run game dictate rather than putting the game in the hands of Edwards. The OL really stunk and could not provide any holes for the run game or pass protect.

Which teams do you think have the best chance to do the things over the course of the season that you need to do on offense to win?

- Sustain Drives

- Win the Time of Possession Battle

- Convert 3rd downs

- Score Points

Of course. But I would have been happier with a WIN had the Bills pulled off a victory (something they were in a position to do late in the 4th quarter) than I would with a loss and some nice stats. Many of the teams with WAY better stats than the Bills had no chance to win their games in the 4th Q.

Anyway you look at it, it's one game and the first of sixteen.

DING DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!

Agreed. Consider, too, that the Bills had the third-fewest plays from scrimmage yesterday.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=TM&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=SCRIMMAGE_PLAYS&d-447263-n=1

Sometimes, you can say that's because the defense didn't get the opposing offense off of the field, but not yesterday. The problem was a failure to advance the ball and gain first downs.

I think fans are putting way too much evaluation and drawing conclusions based on first game performance.

Peruse the message boards. In some, it's the apocalypse unfolding. (Eagles, Broncos) and others...it's Super Bowl time. (Texans, Seahawks)

I'd think Bills fans are more acutely aware that first week performance is not an indicator of win/loss record by the end of the season.

Actually, when they tally up Ws and Ls, there really isn't a difference at all, especially if your opponent isn't scoring either.

Yeah, but generally if you don't score AND you don't move the ball, your opponent WILL score, if they're even half-decent, 'cause they'll have good field position all day long. It's a big difference and you know it.

The thing that startled me was how bad Miami played. If you'd told me Miami would be that bad before the game, I'd have changed my prediction to a Bills win. Miami was bad. It took some major suckage to be worse.

Of course it's only one game, but it's one game that lived up to exactly what was expected when you look at the personnel of this team.

Edited by Thurman#1

Of course. But I would have been happier with a WIN had the Bills pulled off a victory (something they were in a position to do late in the 4th quarter) than I would with a loss and some nice stats. Many of the teams with WAY better stats than the Bills had no chance to win their games in the 4th Q.

Anyway you look at it, it's one game and the first of sixteen.

My point was that the the other teams didn't "play on par with the Bills", as the original poster said. The Bills weren't even in the same league as some of the other teams that failed to score points on offense.

Does this mean the Bills can't turn it around? No. But it'll take a whole helluva lot more for them to do so than it will the other teams who had much more success on offense, even if it didn't show on the scoreboard. Taking solace in the fact that some other teams did poorly doesn't give enough credit to just how freaking BAD the Bills were, and how much work they'll need to turn it around.

Edited by BlueFire

My point was that the the other teams didn't "play on par with the Bills", as the original poster said. The Bills weren't even in the same league as some of the other teams that failed to score points on offense.

I'd say it was an abysmal performance by the Bills and leave it at that. Certainly the Bills D didn't perform as poorly as SF's or Philly's or Oakland's, etc.

As for the offense, well they really sucked. I still say I'd take 10 offensive points and minimal yardage over 6 points (SF) or 7 points (Dallas) etc with a more impressive Total Yards stat.

I'd say it was an abysmal performance by the Bills and leave it at that. Certainly the Bills D didn't perform as poorly as SF's or Philly's or Oakland's, etc.

As for the offense, well they really sucked. I still say I'd take 10 offensive points and minimal yardage over 6 points (SF) or 7 points (Dallas) etc with a more impressive Total Yards stat.

I wasn't touching the D, cause the original thread starter focused on the O. I liked the D this week, I thought they did some decent things defensively. But the O didn't give me much reason for hope (unlike the other teams). The OP and you obviously disagree. :)