Coolest guitar of all time

Jim in Anchorage

I mean really, is this not the

Perhaps...if you're both intellectually AND musically vapid, that is.

Otherwise, most musicians will tell you that the simple, monotonous Hanon exercises that most 2nd or 3rd year guitar students learn are more difficult than anything Jimmy Page ever played.

Now take something in 4-part polyphony that was written to be performed on a 2-manual keyboard of 5 octaves each, adapt it to a single 6-string guitar, and you may be approaching something near a 'gold' standard...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNI8jbIJZvQ

Otherwise, most musicians will tell you that the simple, monotonous Hanon exercises that most 2nd or 3rd year guitar students learn are more difficult than anything Jimmy Page ever played.

Now take something in 4-part polyphony that was written to be performed on a 2-manual keyboard of 5 octaves each, adapt it to a single 6-string guitar, and you may be approaching something near a 'gold' standard...

youtube.com/watch?v=lNI8jbIJZvQ

I have feeling you are doomed to be a music instructor. If it was so simple why did not someone else do it before Page? Really your technical gibberish smacks more of a clinical analyst then a music fan.

Bottom line, it sounds cool. I don't give a damn how many octaves he adapted.

youtube.com/watch?v=lNI8jbIJZvQ

And yet there's one Jimmy Page.

Eand Eddie Van Halen can barely speak English, let alone explain music theory...but somehow plays guitar circles around people.

I have nothing against classical guitar (I love it in fact), but there are other flavors.

I have feeling you are doomed to be a music instructor. If it was so simple why did not someone else do it before Page? Really your technical gibberish smacks more of a clinical analyst then a music fan.

Bottom line, it sounds cool. I don't give a damn how many octaves he adapted.

Quite the contrary - I'm a fan of and appreciate all types of music - even the most basic single string pentatonic riffs played repeatedly ad nauseum over the simplest 3-chord progression. But you actually think Jimmy Page was the first to play that crap? That he invented it?

Like his contemporaries, Page was influenced by and 'borrowed' from guys like Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Howlin'Wolf, McKinley Morganfield, Buddy Guy, Les Paul, Carl Perkins, BB King, Bill Haley, Chuck Berry, and countless others. No one did it before Page? How 'bout Roy Buchanon, Frank Zappa, Jeff Beck, Johnny Winter, Eric Clapton, Alvin Lee, or Jimmy Hendrix (etc., etc.)???

Yeah, it sounds cool - it sounds cool when Keith Richards uses open tunings and distortion to get some of the most unique, hard-driving rhythm sounds out of his Fender Telecaster too, but it wouldn't call it the 'Gold Standard' in guitar playing. There is absolutely nothing new when it comes to 'pop' music - as Van Morrison will tell you...

That said, for what he does, Jimmy Page is pretty effin' good. I love this cover of Zeppelin's 'Rock 'n Roll' by Jerry Lee Lewis and JP from Jerry Lee's duets album...

(But, much as I enjoy his music, I'd never call JLL 'gold standard' of pianists - I'd leave that for folks like Vladimir Ashkenzy, Marc Andre-Hamelin, Martha Argerich, Lang Lang, Valentina Lisitsa, etc.)

Edited by The Senator