Primal - The Art of the Butcher

Chef Jim

Full post-game report will be required. Looks like a great time. Too bad I'm half way across the country with little vacation time.

Looking at the site it appears that they do this in different locations, it mentions NYC. If you are good at all with organizing I bet you could round up something like this locally. Looks like a great harvest festival type thing.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man. And from what I can see it looks like a bargain at $75 per person.

You know, I met a San Franciscan at my brother's wedding. Dude was an interesting guy. Lived IN the city, and raised chickens. (Has 6 egg-laying hens). I never knew there was enough space in San Francisco to raise chickens. His wife was even more interesting. More tattoos than a Hells Angel.

Edited by Joe In Macungie

You know, I met a San Franciscan at my brother's wedding. Dude was an interesting guy. Lived IN the city, and raised chickens. (Has 6 egg-laying hens). I never knew there was enough space in San Francisco to raise chickens. His wife was even more interesting. More tattoos than a Hells Angel.

It is an interesting city. Not sure where he lives to be able raise chickens but but this city is all about food and that's why I can put up with its faults. One of its big faults is the chicks with the major tattoos :lol: . My wife and I sat and had a few drinks on labor day at a place by the water and people watched. Never seen so many good looking women with ugly tattoos in my life. :thumbdown:

It is an interesting city. Not sure where he lives to be able raise chickens but but this city is all about food and that's why I can put up with its faults. One of its big faults is the chicks with the major tattoos :lol: . My wife and I sat and had a few drinks on labor day at a place by the water and people watched. Never seen so many good looking women with ugly tattoos in my life. :thumbdown:

She was quite the coversationalist. :lol:

I actually thought this would be the only event even better than what was shown - a sausage festival - oh man that would be cool.

It's getting to be that time of year again for me. I've got 15 pcs of sopressata drying, pate will be made next week, planning on making venison sausage this year (if any of you have extra meat this year send it my way I'll send you a nice care package), I also want to make bresaola, cured pork belly, duck proscuitto, and maybe some pancetta. I need to buy an old fridge to dry/cure this stuff in. I'm motivated this year.

Both of these sound really cool - in part because i just saw them on a Bourdain show. I assume by cured pork belly you refer to Lardo or are you doing something else?

Yes, Lardo. So easy, so good. The B word is you have to wait 4-6 weeks for this stuff to be ready, well except the pate.

First thing ya do is head down to the Lucky Pork store on Mission, and get yerself about 40-50 pounds of pork butt & some hog casin's... :beer:

(Looks like it needs more red pepper... ;) )

Been a while, Sen. I bought some ground pork a couple of months ago, and made a sausage mixture for use in a recipe. Not the same as going "whole hog" and doing it right. Still it was better than what I can buy in the local shops. And, yes it had a lot of red pepper in it.

Why? Is it fermented?

The fermentation takes place pretty quickly (one day) it's the drying process that takes the time, with the sopressata anyway. The elimination of the water and production of acid will prevent the bad bacteria from developing.

Been a while, Sen. I bought some ground pork a couple of months ago, and made a sausage mixture for use in a recipe. Not the same as going "whole hog" and doing it right. Still it was better than what I can buy in the local shops. And, yes it had a lot of red pepper in it.

I buy the pork and back fat and grind it all myself. That way I can better control the fat to lean ratio. I don't like to over do the red pepper because then you're just tasting the spice and not the cure.

I buy the pork and back fat and grind it all myself. That way I can better control the fat to lean ratio. I don't like to over do the red pepper because then you're just tasting the spice and not the cure.

Normally, or should I say, back when we made a lot of sausage, we'd buy a whole butt and grind it ourselves. That's really the only way to fly, IMO. I'll make mine from pregrind in a pinch, if it's just a bit of sausage to use in a recipe, though.

As for the red pepper, well I usually made several different levels/styles. The hottest was pretty hot, though, as that's the one I like. It is what I was brought up on. I can taste through very hot, unlike most people (or so I'm told). I can't taste anything through overly salted, though.